A sensational seasonal must have side dish, this is bursting with juicy savory flavor. These roasted and seared to perfection tomatoes are a perfect quick go to. Topped with cheesy goodness and fresh basil this is sure to please any crowd.
The best tomatoes in the summer often come from your own back yard or the farmers market. If you can’t enough of this peak summer stable try these other favorites: Classic Fried Green Tomatoes, Tomato Pie or Tomato Jam
Parmesan Garlic Roasted Tomatoes
Roasting is one of the most delicious ways to cook fresh tomatoes. It adds brightness and balance to any main dish. With a hint of garlic and cheese these juicy-sweet roasted tomatoes are endlessly versatile. You can top pizza, pasta, sandwiches, soups and wraps with these amazing little gems.
The simpleness of this recipe makes it a perfect base to experiment with. Try using different spices, everything from thyme and rosemary, to Mexican inspired spicy chipotle chili powder and cumin make it perfect for whatever flavor you need.
Why Roast Tomatoes?
If you have never roasted tomatoes, let me try to convince you to give it a try.
- Flavorful: Roasting tomatoes is a sure fire way to coax out all the flavor. Roasting concentrates and intensifies the flavor allowing them to be useful in so many other ways and recipes. Roasting them also makes those winter tomatoes taste amazing.
- Healthy: According to research, roasting or cooking tomatoes comes with extra health benefits. The heating process enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes since it increases the main antioxidant, lycopene, which benefits have been linked to heart health, skin health and protection against certain kinds of cancers.
Parmesan Tomato Ingredients:
These ingredients are already in your pantry and ready to make roasted tomatoes. All ingredients are tossed together and baked. Creating a delicious side dish or add on to many more recipes to come. The possibilities are endless!
- Roma Tomatoes: Even out of season tomatoes will roast up beautifully
- Olive Oil: Avacado oil is another great roasting oil
- Italian Seasoning: Different seasonings can be substituted to fit your main dish
- Garlic: Crushing your garlic will impart the most flavor and aroma
- Parmesan cheese: Try Romano cheese for a stronger flavor
How to Roast Tomatoes:
Simply slice, toss and roast tomatoes for the perfect blended side dish. These are so easy to make with fresh tomatoes straight from the garden.
- Slice: Keep tomatoes the same size for even roasting
- Toss: Gently toss the seasonings and cheese with the tomatoes careful to mash them
- Roast: Putting them in a single layer ensures consistency in roasting
How to Use Them:
The possibilities are endless! Beside a simple side, serve them as an appetizer piled on top of toast or crostini with a drizzle of pesto and mozzarella. Blend them up to use as a quick spaghetti sauce, or soup base. Chop them up to use in salads, pastas and to had zing to roasted vegetables.
Which Kind of Tomatoes are Good for Roasting?
Just about any variety of tomatoes can be roasted; Some good candidates are:
- Large vine tomatoes. These are a fan favorite for roasting because they are inherently sweeter, choose ones with a thin skin and similar in size.
- Roma tomatoes: Meatier texture, and fewer seeds and water to deal with make them perfect for sauces and roasting
- Cherry or grape tomatoes. Can be roasted whole and perfect for appetizers.
How Long do Roasted Tomatoes Last?
Another beautiful thing about roasted tomatoes is that they will keep well for a good while. Bring them to room temperature before storing. The idea of stocking up on summer tomatoes and roasting several batches to freeze to use during the winter months is one I love!
- In the fridge: Store in a tight-lid mason jar with their juices in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
- In the freezer: Transfer to freezer-safe bags or freezer-safe containers and freeze.
More Tasty Tomato Recipes:
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Sausage Tomato Gnocchi
- Chilled Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
- Tomato Italian Parmesan Chicken
Parmesan Garlic Roasted Tomatoes
- 4-5 Roma Tomatoes Or tomato of choice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tomatoes in half or about ½ inch in thickness. In a medium sized bowl add the tomatoes, olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic and Parmesan Cheese. Toss to coat.
- On a baking sheet or 9x13 inch pan, place the tomatoes in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the skin starts to soften. Garnish with fresh chopped basil if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.