This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Rich, creamy, and perfectly tangy Homemade Ranch Dressing is the perfect addition to any dish. If you are like most people ranch dressing is a staple in the kitchen.
This is made with my homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix which just makes that much more amazing. Try these other homemade mixes, for healthier and insanely easy, tasty dishes. Homemade Fajita Seasoning, The Best Taco Seasoning, and Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing is an amazing combination of zesty herbs with garlic, onion and chive flavors in a creamy base. This recipe uses sour cream, mayo and milk. If you want a thinner dressing use a little bit more milk. If you want to use it as a dip, leave it a bit thicker and reduce the milk. Which ever way you make it, it’s going to be perfect.
This American household staple comes together in a cinch without the extra sugar or ingredients you can’t pronounce. It’s quite magical how tasty it is, it’ll make any old salad exquisite. It goes with everything from Buffalo Wings to Pizza. Making it from scratch is only going to make everything you put it on, taste that much better. It’s so creamy and divine. The flavor is out of this world too!
Super simple ingredients you can pronounce.
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix: Homemade is the best! Try this Homemade Ranch Season Mix.
- Sour Cream: Makes it rich and creamy, you can substitute plain greek yogurt.
- Mayonnaise: Do not use Miracle Whip, it’ll change the flavor
- Milk: For extra tanginess you can use more buttermilk.
Making Homemade Ranch
Quick and Easy, but the flavor is dynamite.
- Mix: In a medium sized bowl mix all the ingredients together with a whisk
- Storage: This will last as long as your dairy products will last so check your sour cream and milk dates. Do not freeze.
Where did Ranch Dressing Come from?
A Nebraska born Cowboy named Steve Hensen invented the original Ranch Dressing in Alaska where he was a plumber and cook for his fellow workers. He then perfected it on the actual Hidden Valley “Dude” Ranch he and his wife owned in the 1950’s.
He started selling the much asked about dressing to help make ends meet on the ranch and eventually ended up selling the first dry mix packets in stores. It took off and in 1970 he sold the brand and the product for 8 million dollars. By the 1980’s it had ousted Italian as America’s most popular dressing. And now you can have this iconic dressing homemade the way it was meant to be.
Ranch Dressing Variations
Use this recipe as a base for fun variations
- Bacon: Adding bacon to anything is amazing.Try adding in bacon crumbles, because… bacon, my friends, bacon!
- Cheese: Shred a mixture of cheeses to make a cheesy ranch.Add in finely shredded parmesan or a mixture of different cheeses for Homemade Three Cheese Ranch!
- Pepper: Add crushed black peppercorns for a bite.
- Spice: Add jalapeños peppers for a perfect jalapeño ranch.
- Mexican: Mix it with your favorite salsa to add to Tacos
- Avocado: Blend in avocado for a tasty avocado ranch.
More Homemade Inspiration
Homemade always tastes better and surprisingly easy.
- Crunchy Homemade Croutons
- Insanely Good Homemade Granola
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- The Easiest Homemade Pizza Ever
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 3 Tablespoons Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup milk more if needed
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the ranch mix, sour cream, mayonnaise, and milk until smooth. Refrigerate the leftovers.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.