This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Cauliflower soup is so creamy and delicious. It will be a hit with the entire family! It’s made from simple ingredients so that you can load it up with your favorite toppings or enjoy it on its own.
I love a good potato soup during the winter months, but sometimes I need something a bit lighter, which is why this cauliflower soup is a close second! It’s very similar. Plus, cauliflower is pretty magical! It becomes this silky, creamy masterpiece when you cook it and blend it. And then we can toss all of our favorite toppings on. This soup is sure to become a staple in your home!
This creamy, comforting soup comes together quickly and easily on the stovetop. It’s an easy soup recipe that can be customized to be meat-free and dairy-free based on your preferences. Naturally gluten-free, this healthy, low-carb soup is perfect for a weeknight meal. It’s also a great meal planning option since it reheats so well! Give it a try. It will become your new winter soup go-to!
What is in Cauliflower Soup?
This ingredients list is actually really simple! Grab some fresh cauliflower, and you probably already have most of the other ingredients at home! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Bacon: Use this bacon recipe to make the perfect bacon for this soup!
- Yellow onion: Dice this up into small pieces so that it mixes in with the soup.
- Garlic cloves: If you don’t have fresh garlic cloves then you can use minced garlic. 1/2 teaspoon equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Cauliflower: Use fresh cauliflower for this recipe and it will turn out better. Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Vegetable broth: This is the base of the soup and it gives a great flavor.
- Salt: The salt will enhance all of the flavors in the soup.
- White pepper: If you don’t have white pepper on hand then you can use black pepper.
- Sharp white cheddar cheese: Freshly grated cheese mixes so well in soups!
- Chives: These are optional but add in a lot for taste and texture when you garnish the top of your soup with them.
How to Make Creamy Cauliflower Soup
This soup takes less than 30 minutes to make! I love simple and easy recipes, and this one is healthier too! That’s a win-win!
- Cook bacon: Cook the bacon in a dutch oven or large pot. Remove the bacon and drain the grease, reserving 1 tablespoon in the pot.
- Saute: Saute the onion in the bacon grease until the onions are soft and tender. Add in the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Boil: Add in the cauliflower, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer the cauliflower for 15-20 minutes until softened.
- Blend: Blend the soup. Use either an immersion blender or carefully transfer the liquid to a blender or food processor. If using a blender or processor allow the soup to cool slightly before blending.
- Garnish: Serve with toppings if desired!
Cauliflower Soup FAQs
- Can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan? Yes! And it’s super easy! Just take out the bacon in the first step. Use another fat/oil of preference to sauté the onion. Then follow the rest of the recipe steps.
- How do you thicken cauliflower soup? Blending this soup creates a thick, creamy soup all on it’s own! Nothing else is needed to be done. If once you have prepared the soup you feel it should be thicker, take one tablespoon of cornstarch and add it to 1/4 cup warm water or broth, whisking together. Add this cornstarch slurry to the soup. Whisk it together and cook for several minutes, the soup will thicken right up!
I love loading this simple cauliflower soup up with toppings! You can switch it up so that it tastes different every time, and I usually have at least a couple of these already on hand.
- Fresh herbs: Try garnishing this with some parsley, thyme, chives, or dill.
- Additional roasted cauliflower: Add in some more caulflowr for taste and texture.
- Bacon: You can’t go wrong adding more bacon to anything!
- Grated cheese: This recipe calls for sharp white chaddar but you could do pepper jack, colby jack, cheddar or any cheese that you really love.
- Grated nutmeg: This flavor pairs wonderfully with cauliflower!
- Hot sauce or chili powder: If you want this soup to take on some heat, then add one of these things for some spice.
- Lemon juice: Just a squeeze from one lemon wedge is fantastic!
How to Store Leftovers
This soup will store well, freezes great, and reheats like a dream! So you should make some extra while you are at it to save and eat later!
- Refrigerate: Once it has cooled then you can store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for 3-4 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze this soup in an air tight container (don’t forget to label it with the date!) in the freezer for about 4 months. When you are ready to eat it then you will want to thaw it in the fridge overnight. Reheat it just before serving.
- Reheat: To reheat this soup then simply pour it into a medium-sized pot and heat it over medium heat until it’s warm throughout.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head cauliflower (approx 2 lbs) cut into florets
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- Heat dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, add the bacon, and cook to desired crispness. Remove the bacon (save for topping), drain the grease, reserving 1 tablespoon in the pot.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease in the pot and cook over medium heat until the onions are softened. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth, add the cauliflower, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower is softened.
- Serve the soup warm with toppings of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.