This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Looking to add a burst of flavor to your favorite dishes? With a perfect blend of heat and sweetness, this Firecracker Sauce will take any recipe to the next level. Whether you are using it as a basting sauce or a delightful dipping sauce, this is perfect for any meal!
This sauce is so delicious on any poultry or fish. I have a few recipes that use this sauce that you must try! This Firecracker Chicken and this delicious Firecracker Salmon use this yummy sauce, and it gives your meat the perfect flavor.
What is Firecracker Sauce?
Firecracker sauce is a spicy and flavorful sauce often used in Asian cuisine, especially Chinese-American dishes. It combines sweet and spicy elements, creating a zesty, tangy, and slightly sweet flavor with a fiery kick. I am all about homemade sauces and spices, and this one is no exception.
The beauty of making sauce on your own is that you control all of the elements! If you want more heat, you can kick it up a notch by using hot sauce instead of buffalo sauce! Or, if you like it more mild, reduce the amount of red pepper flakes so that you can tolerate whatever heat level this sauce is at!
Ingredients in Firecracker Sauce
This sauce is so simple to make! It only takes a couple of minutes to throw it all together, and once you do, you won’t ever buy this at the store again! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Buffalo Sauce: Try making this at home using this recipe. This spicy and tangy condiment is perfect for adding a kick to dishes.
- Light Brown Sugar: Sweet and caramel-like sugar that brings a rich flavor to the glaze.
- Water: A small amount of liquid to help achieve the desired consistency.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This gives a subtle tartness and balances the sweetness of the glaze.
- Salt: Enhances the overall taste and brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Add a touch of heat to the glaze.
How to Make Firecracker Sauce
This recipe is all about measuring and then dumping it into the bowl! It’s so easy. There is no reason that you shouldn’t make this sauce!
- Combine: Combine the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, water, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
- Whisk: Whisk the sauce together until the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients are incorporated.
- Baste: Use as a basting sauce for fish or poultry, or enjoy as a dipping sauce!
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and variations on how to make this Firecracker sauce perfect and fit your needs!
- Adjust Heat Level: If you prefer a milder glaze, reduce the amount of buffalo sauce or hot sauce. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or additional red pepper flakes for extra spiciness.
- Pineapple Juice: A splash of pineapple juice can introduce a tropical touch and mild sweetness to the glaze.
- Marinating Option: Consider marinating fish or poultry in the glaze for an hour or two before cooking to infuse the flavors even further.
- Basting Technique: When using the glaze as a basting sauce, brush it onto the fish or poultry during the last few minutes of cooking to prevent burning and to create a flavorful glaze on the surface.
- Honey Glaze: For a sweeter and glossy finish, replace some of the brown sugar with honey.
This Firecracker Sauce is so delicious, you may want to plan on using it for a few different recipes at a time! This sauce can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge. It will last about 3-4 days.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Easy Firecracker Sauce
- Combine the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, water, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the sauce together until the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients are incorporated.
- Use as a basting sauce for fish or poultry, or enjoy as a dipping sauce!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.