Homemade Funnel Cake! Skip the fair and make your own funnel cake at home! The batter for these is so quick and easy to put together. You only need 20 minutes to make this fun treat on your own!
Homemade Funnel Cakes
The batter for these light and fluffy funnel cakes comes together in minutes! Drizzling the batter into hot oil creates a golden, puffed up swirled cake. Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar to complete this fun classic fair dessert! Once you master these try some French Beignets. Or complete your fair food experience and enjoy some Pretzel bites and Pizza Kabobs.
What is a Funnel Cake?
Funnel cake is a light, thin batter that is fried until golden and topped with powdered sugar or other toppings. These fun treats are often served at fairs and carnivals. Most people don’t realize just how easy these are to make at home!! If you can whip up pancake batter, you can make funnel cake batter.
How to make Funnel Cakes at Home:
- Heat the oil: the oil needs to reach a temperature of 375℉. Let the oil heat in a large pot or dutch oven while preparing the batter.
- Make the batter: it’s as simple as mixing together the dry ingredients and adding to the wet ingredients. To help ensure no lumps in your batter sift the dry ingredients together.
- Fry the batter: drizzle the batter into the hot oil. Cook the funnel cakes for about 90 seconds per side.
- Add toppings: top your funnel cake with your favorites and serve!
How to pour batter for funnel cakes:
The name funnel cake actually comes from the fact that the batter is typically poured into a funnel and then poured into the hot oil. There are other options though if you don’t have a funnel.
- Funnel: Find a funnel with a ¼ inch hole, hold a finger or thumb over the hole in the bottom, pour the batter into the funnel, then release the batter over the oil. Pour the batter into a swirl, criss crossing back and forth.
- Measuring Cup: add the batter to the measuring cup and pour the batter in a slow and steady stream into the oil.
- Squeeze Bottle: make sure the lid has a hole about ¼ inch wide to allow the batter to flow easily. This is my favorite method, it’s super easy to fill the bottle and make one after another before having to refill!
Pro Tip: After pouring the batter into the oil, you may notice the batter sinks to the bottom of the pot, just leave it there, let it cook and it will loosen as the batter fries and release allowing you to easily grab with tongs and flip.
How to Top Your Dessert:
- Powdered sugar
- Syrups/Sauces: Chocolate syrup, strawberry sauce, caramel.
- Whipped Cream
- Fruit: add some diced strawberries, blueberries, or bananas.
More Dessert Recipes:
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Fresas con Crema (Strawberries and cream)
- No Bake Chocolate Eclair Dessert
- Gooey Oreo Brownies
Easy Funnel Cake! Skip the fair and make your own funnel cake at home! The batter for these is so quick and easy to put together. You only need 20 minutes to make this fun treat on your own!
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a medium size bowl.
In a separate medium size bowl whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring together. Batter should have a nice smooth pourable consistency.
Fry for 90 seconds and then carefully flip the funnel cake using tongs to continue frying the other side for another 90 seconds.
After both sides are golden, remove from the oil and set on a paper towel lined plate.
Dust with powdered sugar or topping of choice and serve funnel cakes while warm.
Continue frying the remaining batter in the same method until all batter has been used.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.