This Berry Galette is the dessert of the summer! Fresh summer berries fill an easy to make crust. Serve it warm with a big scoop of ice cream for one of the best desserts you will ever make!
Try Mixed Berry Crisp for a similar but more crunchy fruit dessert. Or Strawberry Cobbler that also has the sweet fruit and buttery crust your family will go crazy for!
Homemade Fruit Galette
This Fruit galette is a no-fail recipe that will allow you to get creative with a classic French dessert and make it your own. Typically a galette is flat dough that is covered with some type of filling. It can look rustic or perfectly round. There is really no wrong way to create your galette. Shape the dough how you like it best around your sweet and tart filling. It is a no fuss recipe with all the delicious flavors and textures you love in a pie without all the perfection.
Each bite of this homemade berry galette is bursting with warm and sweet fruit and coated in their caramelized juices. The textures from each berry create an amazing contrast of soft, tender, and more firm filling. Add on the crunch from the crust and it is a little bit of heaven in each bite. You must try this galette topped with ice cream or whipped cream to finish off the vibrant flavors. This dessert is so easy to make ahead or throw together for a last minute impressive family treat that will be everyone’s new favorite!
What is a Galette?
A galette is a broad term used to describe a French tart made with one flat piece of dough that is wrapped around a fruit filling. The shape can vary from round to a more free-style shape and the texture can range from a crusty cake to a pastry or pancake. This unique dessert is easy to prepare and bakes to perfection on a baking sheet in the oven!
Berry Galette Ingredients:
Fresh sweet and tart fruits and a buttery pastry shell are easy to create in your kitchen with just a few natural ingredients. Colorful blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries make this galette vibrant and appealing. It looks impressive and the bold flavors do not disappoint! This will be the best dessert you have had!
- All purpose flour: Adds structure and strength to the dough.
- Butter: Cut in the butter into the flour in your food processor. The fat will add flavor and a melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Cold water: Using cold water will keep your dough colder and will not absorb into the flour as easily which will create the perfect texture in your finished galette.
- Strawberries: Add sweet with a slightly sour taste and bright red color.
- Blueberries: More acidic sweet taste and deep purple color.
- Blackberries: Tart and sweet flavor packed berries.
- Sugar: Even more sweetness to add to balance tart or sour flavors.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the filling and keep it from getting too soggy.
- Egg: Adds a great color and shine to the top of the galette.
- Water: Combine with the egg to make a natural glue for the sugar topping.
- Turbinado sugar: A more course, round, and darker sugar that is less processed and great to add to the top of this fruit galette.
How to Make a Fruit Galette:
Making the dough for this artistic dessert is simple and only requires 3 basic ingredients. They come together so nicely to make the perfect pastry crust.
- Combine flour and butter: In a food processor combine flour and butter until incorporated.
- Add in cold water: Gradually add in cold water and continue to blend until it forms a dough.
- Form a dough ball: Remove dough from the food processor, roll it into a ball, then flatten.
- Chill: Wrap dough in plastic wrap then refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
Let’s make the filling!
The filling in this fruit galette is so delicious you will scrape your plate clean to enjoy every last drop of it! It is simple to make with just a few easy to follow steps!
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine fruit, sugar, and cornstarch: In a medium sized bowl combine strawberries, blueberries and blackberries with sugar and cornstarch and mix until coated.
- Roll out dough and add filling: Roll out the dough into ¼ inch thickness. Then, place the filling into the center of the dough. Now, fold up the edges to seal in the filling.
- Bush with egg wash: Separately, in a small bowl combine the egg and water. Next, brush the egg wash on the edges and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake: Place galette in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let set for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Can you Make a Galette Ahead of Time?
Yes! A fruit galette is easy to prepare ahead. Either bake then freeze or store before baking, both will result in a flaky and sweet dessert you won’t be able to get enough of!
- Unbaked: If storing dough and filling unbaked, place in the refrigerator loosely covered for up to 3 days. However, if you plan to freeze it, you need to wrap it tightly before it can be stored for up to 4 months.
- Baked: To store an already baked galette, allow it to cool then cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for 3-4 months.
More Summer Berry Dessert Recipes:
- Strawberry Tart
- Summer Berry Scones
- Triple Berry Pie
- No Bake Very Berry Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
To make the dough:
- In a food processor combine flour butter until incorporated. Add in cold water and continue to blend until it forms a dough. Remove from the food processor and roll into a ball and flatten. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
To make the filling:
- In a medium sized bowl combine strawberries, blueberries and blackberries with sugar and cornstarch and mix until coated.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the dough into ¼ inch thickness. Place the filling into the center of the dough. Fold up the edges to seal in the filling. In a small bowl combine the egg and water. Brush the egg wash on the edges and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let set for 10-15 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
My mother told me my grandma (french canadian) used to make Gallettes, so I just had to try them. I love them. I make them for myself usually, instead of the pies I make for family dinners etc. I usually make an Apple Gallette but I have berries in the freezer, so I will definitely try a Berry Gallette.
They are so easy to make and they taste great. Reminds me of my grandma who I love and loved me. She had a hard life. She lived with her parents in a sod house in North Dakota after moving from Quebec and Minnesota. They then moved back to Canada and lived in Bow Island, Alberta, Canada. My grandma married a wheat farmer on the plains in Montana. in the United States, one of the last states to homestead.
ohhhh. It looks irresistible!! My mouth is really watering right now, I just try to hold it back xD