You will never cook another grilled cheese sandwich again after you try this one! It’s deliciously cheesy on the inside, and once you sink your teeth into that crispy outside, it is absolute perfection!
Who doesn’t love a delicious grilled cheese sandwich? And trust me when I say that this one is the best of the best. But what is a grilled cheese without some delicious tomato soup to dip it in? Try this tomato basil soup, this classic fire-roasted tomato soup, or this deliciously creamy slow cooker tomato basil parmesan soup. They pair perfectly with this grilled cheese!
The BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
You are about to be let in on THE best cooking secret of the year. Normally, i rate most grilled cheese sandwiches on the same level. After all, there isn’t too much that you can do to make them different… right? WRONG! This grilled cheese sandwich is not only toasted to perfection, but the flavor is to die for! It melts in your mouth and leaves you wanting to devour the whole entire thing.
So what is it that makes it so delicious? It’s the mayo. Yep, you read that right. If you are still slapping some butter on the outside of your bread before you cook it, then you are missing out! This sandwich uses mayonnaise that has Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and a little bit of salt to make this literally the best grilled cheese sandwich that I have ever had!
Ingredients In This Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Lucky for you, this recipe only requires a few ingredients. Most of which you probably already have on hand! That’s what makes this sandwich a go-to for me (and my kids!) at least a couple of times a week! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- White Bread: This recipe called for 8 slices of bread so that you can make 4 sandwiches.
- Cheddar Cheese: My favorite cheddar to use is Tillamook. You can also use American cheese, Monterey jack cheese, or mozzarella cheese!
- Mayonnaise: You can use this from a store-bought jar, or you can make it at home using this easy recipe!
- Garlic Powder: This is a MUST for this recipe. I mean, you can never have enough garlic, but it pairs so well with all of the other flavors!
- Italian Seasoning: Trust me, you will want to make this from scratch using this recipe.
- Coarse Salt: The salt enhances all of the other flavors and gives the sandwich a little bit of extra flavor.
How to Make the PERFECT Grilled Cheese Sandwich
My mouth is watering even just thinking about how delicious this sandwich is! You are never going to go back to any other way of making a grilled cheese sandwich after you try out this one!
- Combine: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and coarse salt. Stir all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Preheat: Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat until warm.
- Add Mayo: Spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly on one side of each slice of bread. Then, place 4 of the slices of bread on the griddle or skillet with the mayonnaise side down.
- Top with Cheese: Top each piece of bread with the sliced cheddar cheese, followed by a second slice of bread with the mayonnaise side out.
- Cook: Heat the sandwich until the cheese melts and the outside of the bread is golden brown and toasted. This will take approximately 4-6 minutes.
- Flip and Cook: Carefully flip the sandwich over using a spatula and the help of your opposite hand to hold the sandwich together. Cook the opposite side until that piece of bread is also golden brown, approximately 4-6 minutes.
You don’t want to mess up this grilled cheese sandwich by burning it or by undercooking it. It has to have that perfect golden brown outside edge to make it taste just right! Here are a couple of suggestions to help yours come out perfect every time.
- Use Medium Heat: I know that it’s tempting to cook it at a higher heat to make the process go faster but don’t do it! The trick to grilled cheese is to not have the heat too high. Cooking it at medium heat helps to melt the cheese without toasting the bread too fast. It also helps to add a lid to cover the cooking sandwiches. This helps trap the heat and melt the cheese as well.
- Fresh Slices of Cheese: I like to slice my cheese straight from the block rather than buying pre-sliced cheese. It melts more quickly and I think it tastes better too!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
A grilled cheese sandwich tastes great the next day if you know just how to reheat it! (Hint: Don’t use the microwave!)
- Storage: Once your grilled cheese has cooled then, you can place it in an airtight container and store it in your fridge. It will last about 2-3 days.
- How to Reheat: When you are ready to reheat it, don’t use your microwave. It will be soggy, not crispy at all! Reheat your sandwich on the stove. Cook it on medium heat until your sandwich is warmed through.
My All-Time Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (I love Tillamook)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and coarse salt. Stir all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat until warm.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly on one side of all 8 pieces of bread. Then, place 4 of the slices of bread on the griddle or skillet with the mayonnaise side down.
- Top each piece of bread with the sliced cheddar cheese, followed by another piece of bread with the mayonnaise side out.
- Heat the sandwich until the bread is a golden brown and toasted. This will take approximately 4-6 minutes.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over using a spatula and the help of your opposite hand to hold the sandwich together. Cook the opposite side until that piece of bread is also golden brown, approximately 4-6 minutes.**NOTE** The trick to grilled cheese is to not have the heat too high. Cooking it at medium heat helps to melt the cheese without toasting the bread too fast. It also helps to add a lid to cover the cooking sandwiches. This helps trap the heat and melt the cheese as well.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
we make ours with sojrdough bread, cheddar and gruyere. i seldom use mayonaise except for chix salad sans. too much tuna sandwiches as a catholic when you didnt eat .eat on fridays!
Yum! That sounds delicious!
I made these for my great g-sons…it was a major PLUS with them!! Thanks!…Marcy
They are the BEST! So glad they loved them too!