One Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is creamy, hearty, easy and a savory perfection meal. It is going to be dinner winner! Tender mushrooms, tasty ground beef and luscious served with noodles for a beautiful dish your whole family will love.
This has the protein and starch already in it so to add a little color I suggest serving this with something green, like these Garlic Butter Green Beans, Grilled Asparagus or a fresh green salad for a perfect satisfying meal.
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
Amazingly tasty and easy to make and the best part is, there’s only one dish to clean up afterwards. Now that’s what I call my kind of cooking!
This has all the comforts of traditional stroganoff but without the processed canned soup! Instead you have a homemade silky smooth sauce with the rich flavor and texture from the fresh sautéed mushrooms, onions and broth. You’re going to love it.
What Is Beef Stroganoff?
This dish comes all the way from Russia back in the mid 19th century. It usually consisted of cooked pieces of beef served in a dairy based cream sauce. Since it’s invention, variations can be found throughout the world. Many of you may remember growing up with a version typically made with canned mushroom soup served over noodles. In Russia this was actually served without a starch. But I can’t imagine it not being served with noodles!
Homemade Stroganoff Ingredients
It seems like a lot of ingredients but it’s worth it and tastes amazing.
- Ground Beef: Lean ground beef is best
- White onion: Chopped or minced finely depending on your preference.
- Garlic Cloves: Minced fresh or in a marinated jar.
- Mushrooms: Sliced raw or canned mushrooms will work.
- Butter: Margarine will also work for this recipe
- Flour: All purpose flour is best to keep the sauce thick.
- Beef Broth: Adds flavor as well as a creamy sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce: find with the BBQ sauces and ketchup in your local store.
- Egg Noodles: It sounds crazy but these noodles will be added to the skillet uncooked.
- Cream Cheese and Sour Cream: Stir together to make a thick and creamy sauce.
- Dried Thyme: Perfect for flavoring.
- Salt and Pepper: Add as much or as little as you like to for taste!
Only One Pot Stroganoff!
So simple and easy.
- Cook: In a medium skilled heat the beef crumbling until almost cooked. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook till tender. Remove and set aside
- Roux: In the same pan melt the butter and whisk in the flour to create a roux. Slowly add the broth and Worcestershire sauce stirring constantly.
- Noodles: Add the noodles and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook till the noodles are al dente.
- Combine: Add the beef mixture back to the pan and add in the cream cheese, sour cream and thyme. Heat through and salt and pepper to taste.
Tips for Making Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Substitute: You can use Beef Tips or try ground turkey, pork or chicken. Using different ground meet will alter the deep richness beef brings to the meal however.
- Not a fan of Mushrooms: You add a different vegetable instead, try peas, peppers or zucchini
- Avoid the Curdle: Biggest complaint is the sour cream curdles, this is because your dish is too hot. Try removing your pan from the heat and slowly add in the sour cream and stir. Also add it in very last.
- Liquid: If you find you don’t have enough liquid to cook your noodles add half a cup of water at a time till desired amount. If you have too much liquid, let it simmer off by cooking an extra 5 or so minutes before adding the dairy.
- Storing: This doesn’t freeze well because of the dairy in it but it stores great in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s even better the second day after the flavors really meld together.
More Savory Satisfying Ground Beef Recipes
- Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
- 20 Minute Cheesy Beef and Shells
- Homemade Empanadas
- Best Ever Chili
- Easy and Delicious Porcupine Meatballs
One Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounce mushrooms sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- In a medium sized skillet add the ground beef and cook and crumble until it is almost cooked throughout. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Add in the butter and melt. Whisk in the flour until it creates a roux. Slowly add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Add the noodles and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the noodles until al dente.
- Add the beef back to the pan with the cream cheese, sour cream, and thyme. Let the cream cheese melt and stir until heated throughout. Salt and pepper to taste.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.