Guacamole is the perfect creamy dip that’s loaded with avocado and tomatoes and spiced with jalapeño and cumin. Beware because this crowd-pleasing dip is such a hit it disappears quickly!
This is the most amazing homemade guacamole dip! It is so simple, but is the result of tweaking over time to get the recipe just right. The fresh ingredients and perfect blend of spices are just right. The creamy, mild avocado and the tomato and lime juice are all balanced so well by the warm cumin and red onion. Every dip will make you want more and more. It is addicting!!
You don’t need an occasion to make this dip. It is so quick and easy to put together, so it makes a great for a snack, appetizer, or topping any day of the week. Paired with fajitas like Grilled Steak Fajitas or Chicken Fajita Foil Packets it is unbelievable. Make it smooth or leave it a little bit chunky, either way it is the hit of the meal!
What’s In Guacamole?
This guacamole is filled with fresh and vibrant ingredients that come together so well. The warm spice of the cumin perfectly balances the brighter more acidic flavors from the tomato and lime juice. This is the BEST guacamole recipe, and it will be a huge hit any time you make it!!
- Avocados: Remove the pit and scoop out of the skin before mashing it into the other ingredients and seasonings. When choosing the avocado, the riper the better!
- Red onion: Run under hot water to remove any bite from the onion before mixing it in.
- Roma tomatoes: Diced into small pieces they add great flavor, color and moisture.
- Cilantro: Finely minced to easily mix flavor throughout.
- Jalapeno: Carve out seeds and vein to get rid of a lot of the heat, then very finely mince so that there are no large pieces in the mixture and the flavor is even throughout.
- Cumin: Great earthy, warm spice that adds both sweet and bitter flavors.
- Salt and pepper: A pinch of each!
- Lime juice: Squeeze a bit of fresh lime in for a perfect citrus hint in your guacamole that will also keep the nice green color from turning brown.
How to Make Quick Guacamole:
This guacamole recipe could not be any simpler! Start by dicing and finely chopping the ingredients. Then, combine all the ingredients and mash as much or as little as you like!
- Combine ingredients: In a medium sized bowl combine avocados, red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, cumin, salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Mash to desired consistency: Using a fork or masher mash the avocado and combine the ingredients until desired consistency.
Making the Best Guacamole:
This is the best guacamole I have had it a long time! It is so fresh and creamy and perfect! However, you may be wondering how to customize a few things like the heat and spices so here are some great ways to adapt the recipe.
- What can I use instead of cilantro if I don’t like it? Swap out the cilantro for another spice like parsley or basil if you don’t love the strong flavor of cilantro. Apparently, it is a scientific fact that some people are genetically unable to taste cilantro and it tastes like soap to them. If you are one of those people, then by all means don’t add it in your guacamole!
- How can I make my guacamole spicier? To add more heat, you could swap out the jalapenos for 2 serrano peppers.
- What do I serve with guacamole? Clearly tortilla chips are the most popular pairing because they are salty, crispy and the perfect platform to scoop up guacamole. However, chips are not the only thing to serve with guacamole. It is also great with fresh raw veggies or crackers. Or serve it as a topping for toast, quesadillas, burritos, tacos or fajitas.
Storing your Guacamole:
Guacamole is best served freshly made. However, if you need to make it ahead, there is a trick to keeping it green for a couple of days in the refrigerator. Press the guacamole down into a container to avoid any air pockets and squeeze lime or lemon juice over the top to form a protective layer. You can also use plain water if you are concerned about the juice changing the taste of your guacamole. Then tightly cover the container. When you are ready to eat it, pour the liquid off and serve!
More Recipes for Guacamole Lovers:
- Grilled Corn Guacamole
- Individual 7 Layer Dip
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip
- Avocado Toast
- 3 avocados
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- juice of one lime
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.