A few weeks ago we were all eating dinner at the dinner table. My little Luke is always coming up with new things for the blog. They range from gumball soup to cherry sprite shakes. He is so funny with the ideas that he comes up with. But as we were eating he suggested a new recipe idea for the blog. Hot Chocolate Cookies. Me and the hubby both looked at each other and thought that that recipe might actually make the cut for the blog!
There are quite a few recipes out there for Hot Cocoa Cookies. So this wasn’t an original idea from Luke, although a great one. This particular recipe came from Rachel Ray. And it is fantastic. These little cookies are packed with chocolate and cocoa. They are baked so soft and chewy and topped with a gooey marshmallow. When you take that first bite, a melted chocolate square is hidden in the marshmallow. Really represents a cup of hot cocoa quite nicely. Needless to say these were an instant family hit at our house!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter ½ cup
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate bars or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar packed
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 30 marshmallows
- 7.5 ounce semisweet chocolate bars cut into ½ inch squares for garnish
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and chopped chocolate on medium low heat stirring frequently. Once melted remove from burner and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixer, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the cooled melted chocolate. And lastly add the dry flour ingredients in two batches into the dough. The dough will be almost like a thick cake batter consistency. Allow to chill in the fridge for an hour so that the dough is easily shaped.
- Once the dough is chilled, line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the parchment paper. Flatten the tops slightly.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes or until the cookie edges start to crack. While they are baking, cut marshmallows in half and stick one square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
- Once the cookies are done remove from the oven and stick a marshmallow chocolate side down into each cookie. Put back into the oven for about 4 minutes until the marshmallows are soft. Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling racks to cool. Grate additional chocolate over the top for additional garnish.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.