White Hot Chocolate is a rich and creamy decadent drink that melts in your mouth with a smooth, sweet white chocolate and vanilla flavoring. Warm up with this white hot chocolate during the holiday season!
White Hot Chocolate
When I was younger I hated chocolate.
My mom always told me it was probably because when she was pregnant with me, she ate a candy bar everyday on her break!
Unfortunately for my waistline, over the years I have started liking it more and more.
But if I had to choose between white and milk chocolate…. white chocolate every time! I love white chocolate.
I was so excited to try this recipe for homemade white hot chocolate.
It has been freezing in Utah and we just got a huge snow storm!
This sure did hit the spot perfectly.
I thought it was the most delicious hot chocolate that I have ever tried! It was amazing!!
What you need to make white hot chocolate
This is a simple and easy white hot chocolate recipe.
It is SO smooth, rich and creamy!
- Milk of choice: I prefer 1 % or 2% milk but you can substitute half and half, heavy cream, or a mixture.
- Vanilla extract: a splash of this vanilla extract will add so much flavor to the white hot chocolate recipe.
- White chocolate: chopped into small pieces.
- Whipped Cream: or marshmallows for topping!
- Nutmeg: this is optional and tastes delicious!
How to make white hot chocolate
White chocolate has a low melting point.
You do not want to over cook your white chocolate.
Simply bring to a simmer and remove from heat right away to serve.
- Combine and warm: Stir together milk, chocolate and vanilla in small saucepan.
- Cook over heat: Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the white hot chocolate comes to a simmer. (Do not let it come to a boil.)
- Serve and garnish: Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with whipped cream or marshmallows if desired.
Tips for making white hot chocolate
- Freeze white chocolate: Before chopping or grating your white chocolate pieces, freeze them first. This will help the white chocolate from melting or becoming too soft.
- Prepare the white chocolate: For a more finely chopped white chocolate, you can use a blender or food processor if needed. Chopping or grating your white chocolate will also be fine.
- Simmer and remove: Once the white hot chocolate is simmering take it off the stove immediately before it starts to boil. This will overcook your white hot chocolate.
- Add in variations: After the white hot chocolate is simmering simply add in any variation that you like. Peppermint, mint or seasonings for extra added flavoring.
- Garnish: Toast your white hot chocolate using a broiler or a kitchen torch to caramelize the top of the white hot chocolate.
Variations for white hot chocolate
- Cream: Use any kind of milk you prefer such as whole, low-fat, skim, nondairy, almond milk or milk percentages. For more decadence, add a splash of cream or half-and-half to add a rich and creamy flavoring. Blend any of these combinations as well.
- Chocolate: milk or dark chocolate work well with this recipe too. A blend of milk or dark with white chocolate is another way to enhance this warm drink for the winter season.
- Toppings: top with white chocolate or chocolate chunks, peppermint or mint.
- Candy: peppermint (extract even works), mint or mint chocolate, toffee or heath chunks are delicious.
- Seasonings: Cinnamon and sugar blend, pumpkin pie spice or all spice.
Storing white hot chocolate
- Making ahead: Follow the instructions accordingly then let cool completely once simmered. Place in an airtight container. Your white hot chocolate will become hard in the refrigerator.
- Can you freeze white hot chocolate? White hot chocolate is hard to freeze once it is cooked together. It doesn’t warm up the best but it can be done if needed.
- Warming up: This white hot chocolate is great for making ahead; however, you will want to slowly warm up and bring to a simmer. Then remove quickly to serve.
More delicious holiday drinks to choose from
- Gingerbread Cider
- Pumpkin Pie White Hot Chocolate
- Cranberry Apple Crush
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice “Latte” Floats
- Easy Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade
White Hot Chocolate
White Hot Chocolate is a rich and creamy decadent drink that melts in your mouth with a smooth, sweet white chocolate and vanilla flavoring. Warm up to this white hot chocolate this holiday season!
- 4 cups milk of choice You can substitute half and half, heavy cream, or a mixture.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces white chocolate chopped into small pieces
- Whipped Cream or marshmallows for topping
- Nutmeg (optional)
Stir together milk, chocolate and vanilla in small saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the white hot chocolate comes to a simmer. (Do not let it come to a boil.)
Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with whipped cream or marshmallows if desired.
Updated on December 19, 2019
Original Post on November 15, 2012
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.