Instant Pot Chili is simple to make and hearty. The electric pressure cooker builds amazing flavors in a short time, and everyone will love loading up their bowls with their favorite toppings!
Best Instant Pot Chili
Who can resist a good chili? Natasha here from Salt & Lavender with a cozy recipe for you. Chili is so easy to make in the electric pressure cooker! Prep time is minimal, and you can do other things while the Instant Pot works its magic. This chili is delicious straight out of the pot, but it’s also great for freezing/meal prep. Just freeze it in individual portions or use a larger container and let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Ground beef (you can use your preferred type of ground meat)
- Onion for added flavor (sautéed in olive oil)
- Kidney beans (I used red ones but feel free to sub with white ones or another type of canned bean if you prefer)
- Canned tomatoes (I used a combo of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes)
- Spices: Garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin for that signature chili flavor. Optional: cayenne pepper if you like it hot!
- Beef broth for moisture and salty flavor
How to Make Instant Pot Chili:
- Sauté. Add the chopped onion and oil to your Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Brown the beef. Stir in the ground beef and cook, stirring often, until browned.
Add the rest and seal it up. Stir in the garlic, followed by the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, beans, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper. Close the lid, ensure the valve is set on “sealing”, press the “manual” button, and set the timer for 15 minutes.
Release the pressure. Once the countdown has finished, do a quick pressure release or let the pressure release naturally (this will build more flavor). Season the chili with extra salt & pepper as needed and serve with desired toppings.
What Kind of Ground Meat to Use in an Instant Pot?
You can use ground beef or ground turkey in this recipe… or even a mix of ground beef and ground pork if you wish!
What Chili Toppings to Use?
- Avocado (chopped or sliced)
- Sour cream
- Tortilla strips/crumbled chips
- Scallions or chives
- Cheese blend (try cheddar or a Tex-Mex style for some heat)
- Chopped tomato
What to Serve with Homemade Chili?
This chili is incredibly delicious served with some bread (try a crusty bread or cornbread) – it’s great for mopping up all those tasty juices. Or try it on a baked potato!
Other Chili Recipes to Try:
Instant Pot Chili
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes (use fire roasted ones for more flavor)
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 (14 fluid ounce) cans red kidney beans (drained)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional - if you want it spicy)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Garnish: avocado, scallions, sour cream, Tex-Mex cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips, etc. (optional)
- Add the chopped onion and oil to your Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground beef and cook, stirring often (break it up with your spoon), until browned.
- Stir in the garlic, and then add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, beans, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper. Close the lid, ensure the valve is set on "sealing", press the "manual" button, and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, you can do a quick pressure release or let the pressure release naturally (this will build more flavor). Season with extra salt & pepper as needed and serve with desired toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.