Mac and Cheese Cups
Mac and Cheese Cups are great for entertaining friends and family or for a fun lunch at home. They are the ultimate comfort food and are packed with all the great flavors that make mac and cheese a family favorite. The soft pasta on the inside is coated in creamy cheese, while the outside has the perfect crispy topping. These are so addictive and even picky eaters will love them! It’s like getting the corner piece every time!
Mac and Cheese cups are not only quick and easy to serve fresh, but they are also very simple to make ahead and transport to an event. These are stress free and simple for guests to pick up and enjoy! They are always a huge hit and are the first tray to be empty from any gathering because they are so kid friendly and popular. Everyone will go crazy over these delicious mac and cheese cups!
Ingredients in Macaroni and Cheese Cups:
Pantry staple ingredients come together easily to make this effortless side dish. The mixture of cheddar and mozzarella cheese melts together perfectly and fills each bite with irresistible flavor and texture. Just one will not be enough!
- Elbow macaroni: Uncooked elbow macaroni is perfect for these cups.
- Butter: Use either salted or unsalted. Just adjust the additional salt accordingly.
- Egg: Beaten egg holds each cup together.
- Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese: Half goes into the pasta mixture and half is sprinkled on top of each cup.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: Soft, moist cheese that is creamy with milky flavor.
- Milk: Makes the cheese sauce creamy.
- Seasoned dry bread crumbs: Adds crunch as it bakes with the oil.
- Olive oil: Moistens the bread crumbs and gives the topping a light, crispy texture.
- Salt: To taste!
How to Make Baked Macaroni Cups:
This Mac and Cheese Cups recipe is just as easy as the homemade baked mac and cheese we have all made for years. Simply add the pasta mixture to a greased muffin tin, sprinkle with cheese and the most amazing bread crumb topping, then let it bake to perfection.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Next, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook Pasta: Now, add the macaroni to the boiling water, and cook for 8 minutes until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Mix together past and sauce: Stir in the butter and egg until the pasta is evenly coated. Before mixing, reserve 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. Then stir the remaining cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and milk into the pasta. Carefully spoon even amounts into the muffin tin. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
- Prepare topping: In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, olive oil, and salt, then sprinkle the mixture on top.
- Bake: Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown. Lastly, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Variations of Muffin Cups:
The best part about these mac and cheese cups is how versatile they are. Try this Ranch Bacon Mac and Cheese Cups for another favorite variation. These cheese cups are easy to adapt which creates unique treats that are custom to your family!
- Mix ins: Add healthy veggies like broccoli or even some proteins like chicken, crumbled bacon, or ham to make these a tiny version of a complete meal.
- Mini Muffins: Use a mini muffin pan to make bite size gems that are both savory and impressive. Serve them as an appetizer or snack.
- Easy removal: Use cupcake liners for an even easier removal option. For best results, let them cool for about 10 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.
Storing Cheese Cups:
Macaroni and cheese cups are great to make ahead because they are so quick easy to reheat for a quick side or a warm lunch. If you plan to use them within a week, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Or freeze to use again within 2 months. When you are ready to use them, simply microwave and use immediately, or thaw in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes:
- Ranch Bacon Mac and Cheese Cups
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Chicken Caprese Macaroni and Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Macaroni and Cheese
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon and Broccoli Ranch Pasta
Mac and Cheese Cups
Mac and Cheese cups are a great twist on a classic side and are made of soft pasta coated in creamy, cheesy sauce and baked to perfection in a muffin pan to make serving a breeze. These are a huge hit and everyone will rave about them!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 minutes until al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Stir in the butter and egg until the pasta is evenly coated.
Reserve 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and stir the cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and milk into the pasta. Spoon evenly into the muffin tin. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, olive oil, and salt. Sprinkle on the top.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven or until it is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Updated on August 6, 2020
Originally Posted on August 11, 2012
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.