This Pumpkin Pudding Cake is hot, gooey dessert perfection! It would make a great finish to any fall or Thanksgiving dinner topped with a scoop of ice cream!
Hey friends! Ashley here from The Recipe Rebel with the only fall dessert you’ll ever need 😉
Pudding cakes might just be my all-time favorite desserts. They’re so gooey, and warm, and the way that ice cream gets all melty when you serve it up? Nothing else is quite as good.
I’ve dreamt up my share of pudding cakes since starting my own blog, but this one is guaranteed to get you ooos and aahhs at the Thanksgiving buffet table. It is the perfect mix of pumpkin cake and hot caramel sauce, but it takes just minutes to throw together and it bakes completely in one pan — which means less work, less mess, and you still reap all the benefits! (Plus, you don’t have to tell anyone how easy it actually was)
I am a stickler for having the best vanilla ice cream to serve with my pudding cakes and other hot desserts, but I can just imagine how awesome a butter pecan or caramel ice cream would be smothered on top of here — it would be one awesome combination!
I bake all my pudding cakes in a 9″ pie plate, but if you’re using a shallow pie plate or it’s not quite 9″, you will want to place a large piece of foil underneath your pan to catch any drips — cleaning the oven is not high on my list of fun things to do! (And I’m sure it’s not on yours either!).
Feel free to add in nuts (pecans, maybe?), dried fruit or chocolate chips (or, oooo — butterscotch?!?) to change things up. It won’t change the recipe at all if you decide to add your own twist! Just stir into the batter or sprinkle on with the sugar mixture before baking.
- 1½ cups flour (whole wheat or all purpose)
- ¾ cup + 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- ¾ cup pure pumpkin puree (not pie filling!)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1¼ cup hot or boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" pie plate or baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves with a spoon.
- Add in pumpkin, milk, oil and vanilla and stir until a thick batter forms. Spread evenly into prepared pie plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup brown sugar and corn starch until there are no clumps. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Add butter to hot water and stir until melted. Pour over brown sugar mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top is completely set (keep in mind that there is a thick layer of caramel sauce in the bottom, so it may jiggle). Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and reheat perfectly!