Creamy Tuscan sausage pasta is pretty much a one pan wonder you will want to cook over and over again! Perfect for a busy night, this is a hearty comforting dish that will truly satisfy.
Tuscan recipes are so divine! I love the flavor combination of sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, and cream! These reader-favorite Tuscan recipes are the perfect example: try Creamy Tuscan Scallops, Shrimp or Chicken!
Italian Sausage Pasta
This is a super easy pasta recipe that tastes like you slaved over it all day. This Tuscan dish has tender pasta, savory sausage, flavorful sun-dried tomatoes and spinach all smothered in a creamy decadent sauce. It’s insanely delicious and it’s so quick and easy! You can even argue that it’s made in one pan, especially if you already had pasta already cooked. This creamy sausage pasta hits the spot when comes to wanting something full of flavor and comforting. It will no doubt become a new family favorite!
This will feel like you’re eating at a fancy Italian restaurant or having an intimate dinner for two all in the comfort of your own home. Pair this with a side of breadsticks, some roasted vegetables and a tasty chocolate dessert and you have fine dining perfect for busy weekdays. Whether it’s your first time with a Tuscan sauce or not, you have to try this tonight! You are going to love the way the sausage and sun-dried tomatoes come together in this sauce. It’s heavenly.
What is Tuscan Cooking?
Tuscan food is based on the Italian idea of cucina povera or “poor cooking.” It’s a concept of cooking that started very literally. It means simple meals that are inexpensive and could easily be made into large amounts. For instance this recipe can be doubled super easily as could this Tuscan pasta salad or vegetable and chicken stew. They are filling dishes that taste amazing without super expensive ingredients!
Tuscan cooking doesn’t use complicated seasonings or elaborate ingredients. This is because they focus on using fresh, high-quality ingredients that bring out incredible flavors without the extras. It’s delicious done simply!
Ingredients for Tuscan Sausage Pasta
Creating this creamy dish is fast and easy and doesn’t take a bunch of crazy ingredients. Pick your favorite type meat! Ground sausage, pork, chicken and turkey all work so well. You can also control the spice level depending on what kind of sausage you get. If you like it hot, feel free to add red pepper flakes as garnish as well!
- Penne Pasta: I love penne because it soaks up the delicious sauce, but you can use your favorite pasta instead.
- Ground Sausage: Pick your favorite kind- mild, or spicy, pork or chicken!
- Heavy Cream: Makes the sauce so nice and creamy!
- Chicken Broth: Adds richness and flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic adds a great flavor in this Tuscan pasta.
- Italian Seasoning: I love this seasoning, it has all the great spices together in one blend. You can make your own using my recipe here.
- Parmesan Cheese: Love this cheese with this dish. Fresh is best if you have it! Grating your own cheese makes all the difference in flavor.
- Baby Spinach: Super nutritious and adds a pop of color! You can also use kale as a substitute.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Sweet and savory, these are just so good. Look for sun-dried tomatoes either in the produce section or the canned vegetable aisle!
How to Make Creamy Tuscan Sausage Pasta
Truly, this dish couldn’t be easier. You are going to love that it tastes so amazing but is so simple to throw together. It’s perfect for a busy weekday, or a quiet weekend. Either way you have to try it!
- Precook Pasta: Bring a large pot to boil and then cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Cook Sausage: In a large skillet add the sausage. Cook and crumble until it is no longer pink. Then set aside on a plate.
- Prepare Sauce: Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Whisk over medium high heat until it starts to thicken. Add the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and then let it simmer until the spinach starts to wilt. Then add the sausage back to the pan and add the pasta and stir until heated throughout.
Tips and Variations
Use your imagination and what you have on hand to create this amazing creamy Tuscan pasta! You’re going to love how it turns out.
- Pasta: I love using pasta that can really soak up the sauce and hold it in its crevices. For this creamy sausage pasta you can use almost any pasta you like, even spaghetti if that’s what you have on hand. Try cavatappi, rigatoni, conchiglie, tagliatelle, or fusilli for fun and ease.
- Al Dente: Cook your pasta al dente. This means that the pasta is tender but is still chewy and holds it shape with a bit of firmness. This will allow the pasta to absorb the sauce a bit and hold on to the flavor in every bite.
- Sausage: You can use just about any sausage you would like. I prefer to use Italian sausage, which is just sausage flavored with Italian-type spices versus regular sausage, but both will work. Italian sausage can be found in both mild and spicy, and either will taste amazing. For leaner versions try chicken or turkey Italian sausage.
- Heavy Cream: You can use half and half instead of heavy cream to also cut a few calories but your sauce won’t turn out quite as rich.
- Spinach: If you don’t have fresh spinach, frozen will work. Be sure to really squeeze out any of the extra liquid. Kale and Swiss chard can also be used.
How to Store Creamy Tuscan Sausage Pasta
Like most Italian dishes, this sausage pasta is almost better the next day after the flavors have had time to meld together. Heat up your leftovers for a quick and satisfying lunch!
- In the Refrigerator: Keep leftovers tightly covered in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer: You can also keep this frozen for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stove. If it needs thinning add a bit of chicken broth or water as it heats.
Creamy Tuscan Sausage Pasta
- 8 ounce penne pasta uncooked
- 1 Pound Ground Sausage
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- Bring a large pot to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet add the sausage. Cook and crumble until it is no longer pink. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese. Whisk over medium high heat until it starts to thicken. Add the spinach and sundried tomatoes and let it simmer until the spinach starts to wilt. Add the sausage back to the pan and add the pasta and stir until heated throughout.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I felt this was too salty but can’t figure out where it came from. I used Italian sausage and the seasoning .
All I have to say is…. OMG! So much flavor. So much fun to make. Five ⭐️
This was super easy to make. Simple ingredients, it all went. No leftovers whatsoever. Dee-licious!!!!
If I use Italian sausage, should I still use the 1 tsp of Italian seasoning as well?
I would keep the seasoning, but you can leave it out if you think the sausage plus that will be too much flavor for your preference.
I am going to try this tonight, it looks delicious. I have a question… I printed this out it says 1/2 lb penne, 1 lb ground sausage and 2 cups heavy cream for 6 people. This seems off to me… 1/2 lb pasta for 6 people? 2 cups heavy cream for 1/2 lb pasta? Can you confirm these amounts for me? Thank you.
These are correct, but if you love the pasta element of the dish then you can increase that amount to 1 lb.
We don’t eat meat. Anyone try this with the Beyond sausage? This recipe sounds delicious!