The slow cooker does ALL of the work in this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie, so it’s perfect for families on busy nights. If you’re looking for more slow cooker recipes, check out Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken, this Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken Tacos, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili, and this Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie?
- Prepare vegetables and seasonings: Add chopped carrots, celery, red potatoes, onion, garlic, dried thyme, salt and chicken stock to the slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken breasts: Layer chicken breasts on top and let the mixture cook for four hours.
- Shred chicken: Using a fork or beaters shred your chicken in the crock pot.
- Whisk together: heavy cream, melted butter, and flour in a small bowl. Add the mixture along with the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker.
- Cook in the slow cooker: Cook another 45 minutes to an hour or until the filling has thickened.
- Bake the biscuits: While the chicken pot pie filling thickens, bake the biscuits in the oven.
- Serve: Spoon the filling into bowls and top with flaky biscuits.
Can I use chicken thighs in place of breasts in this recipe?
Can I use milk or half and half instead of cream?
Can I add different vegetables??
What sides can I make with Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie?
- Strawberry, Apple and Pear Salad with Apple Cider Poppy Seed Dressing
- Christmas Fruit Salad
- Bacon Pear Gorgonzola Salad
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups quartered baby red potatoes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 medium breasts)
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 8 ct. package southern-style biscuits
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- Add onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, 1 tsp salt, thyme, bay leaf and chicken stock to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Season chicken a little bit on both sides with salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken breasts in the veggie mixture. Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, take the chicken out and shred. Put pack into the pot.
- Add the butter and cream to a liquid measuring cup. Microwave in 30-second increments until the butter has melted and the cream is warm. Slowly whisk in the flour. Add butter cream, and flour mixture back to the slow cooker along with remaining salt. Stir to combine. Cover and cook another 45 minutes to an hour until mixture has thickened and veggies are tender.
- After you put the flour and cream mixture back into the slow cooker, preheat oven to 375 degrees, Cook biscuits according to package instructions.
- After the mixture has thickened, add frozen peas. Stir to combine and cook another 4-5 minutes until peas are thawed. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spoon filling into bowls. Place biscuits on top. Serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I dont have a crockpot. Can I cook on the stove on low heat?
Here is a recipe for my classic chicken pot pie instead! Absolutely Perfect Chicken Pot Pie
It took awhile for the veggies to get soft so after I put in the cream and flour I turned it on high.
Could I substitute something for the heavy cream to make it dairy free for one family member.
They have a dairy-free heavy cream option by Silk at the grocery store! You could try that!
Can you make this on high heat?
You can try cooking it for 2-3 hours on high heat instead!
Absolutely awesome meal. I replaced the cream with Greek Yoghurt, red potatoes with sweet potatoes and added mushrooms as well. Will definitely make again 😘
Great recipe! Cooked it twice now and it’s delicious! Only thing is nowhere in the recipe says at what point to put garlic in the pot… it’s on the ingredients list but not in the instructions….
I absolutely LOVED this recipe and my husband did too! I made two changes:
1. Used plain Greek yogurt instead of the cream, and I thought it worked wonderfully. We couldn’t tell the difference in taste or texture.
2. Used canned peas instead of frozen – this is just what I had already and it worked just fine.
I would say this recipe makes 6 dinner-sized servings, maybe 8-10 lunch sized servings – definitely not 16 unless you eat like a bird. With the yogurt substitute, and calculating for only 6 servings per recipe, mine was 225 calories per serving (not including the biscuit).
Will definitely make this again. Next time I may add extra carrots/celery – it’s great as is but my personal preference is to lean more towards veggies and less towards meat.
Would this hold over if made the day before (minus the biscuits of course)?
Yes, that sounds great!
Delicious and easy to make. Tastes just like the pot pies mom used to make. Awesome for a chilly night.
OMG THIS WAS SO GOOD THAT MY MAN ALMOST LICKED THE BOWL. Very rich with the cream but worth it!
You can sub the biscuits with crumbled store bought pie crust. Can’t wait to make this!
Hi, I made this yesterday and it was DELICIOUS! Flavors are perfect and definitely will be a recipe to keep! I added a few more potatoes than I was supposed to, and didn’t have as much of the filling sauce left as your photos showed, but that was my fault. All around a winner, thank you!
Hi! Do you have a recommended Instant Pot conversion??
I don’t have an instant pot conversion but I am sure it can be made in the instant pot with a few adjustments.
no nutritional information. Why???
I like to use skinnytaste.com or myfitnesspal.com for any nutritional information. Hope you find what you are looking for.
What can I use in place of all purpose flour? Gluten allergies
There are many good options out there for gluten free all purpose flour. I would try one of these options. Thanks for the comment and for following along with me!
This. Looks. Fabulous. Dinner tonight!
I am so glad that you are wanting to try this. This is one of my favorites. Please let me know what you think!!!