This classic sausage stuffing is flavored with basil, thyme, and sage adding such amazing flavor. Made right in your slow cooker it frees up your oven and makes it easy to transport. It slow cooks to perfection adding crispy edges and will be the best stuffing that you will ever make!
Time is just flying by! Halloween is now over and now it is time to start preparing for the biggest feast of the year. Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays of the year in my opinion. It is a time to gather as families and reflect on things that we are grateful for. I love everything about the food at Thanksgiving. The turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and one of my favorite parts is the stuffing!
For many of us, Thanksgiving is synonymous with travel. Using your slow cooker makes it so easy to show up to your destination with a delicious dish to share. It also keeps the food warm while you are enjoying your meal and go back for seconds… or thirds. 🙂
I chose to use McCormick quality herbs to help add flavor to this stuffing. When sharing a dish with family and friends it is important to use the best flavor.
I always love having herbs on hand in the pantry because they are great to add to any dish in a pinch. Basil, thyme, and sage came together so well in this stuffing and the flavor was out of this world!
I like to make my own bread crumbs for my stuffing. You can always use store bought ones in a pinch, they will work great too. But I love buying an artisan french bread loaf from the local market and toasting them in the oven. When you add the sausage, celery, carrots, onion, and fresh herbs and spices you create an unforgettable stuffing. Something about making it in the slow cooker fuses all of the flavors together in the slow cooker. The veggies cook so soft and tender and the result is absolutely amazing. The edges get crispy and the stuffing is perfectly moist and full of flavor.
You are going to love this recipe! In my honest opinion it is the best stuffing that I have ever had. And how nice is it to be able to free up some space in the oven and transport it to your destination easily? This will be a recipe that you will want to make again and again! It is sure to be a huge hit at the dinner table this Thanksgiving.
This post was sponsored by McCormick®. I love working with brands that I am passionate about and use in the kitchen for myself. All opinions expressed are my own.
Slow Cooker Sausage Herb Stuffing
This classic sausage stuffing is flavored with basil, thyme, and sage adding such amazing flavor. Made right in your slow cooker it frees up your oven and makes it easy to transport. It slow cooks to perfection adding crispy edges and will be the best stuffing that you ever make!
- 1 large crusty loaf of french bread cut into 1 inch pieces, (about 8 cups)
- 1 pound ground italian sausage
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 Tablespoon McCormick Basil Leaves
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Rubbed Sage
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Fresh Parsley chopped and dried cranberries for garnish
- To prepare the bread crumbs, Cut into 1 inch pieces and stale them overnight. You can also toast them in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until they are lightly golden.
- In a medium sized skillet, cook and crumble the italian sausage until no longer pink. Prepare your slow cooker by spraying it with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl toss bread crumbs, sausage, onion, carrot, celery, basil, sage, salt, pepper, and butter until combined. Add to slow cooker and pour chicken broth on the top. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and dried cranberries if desired.