These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are an easy side dish for any holiday or weeknight dinner! They are creamy and flavourful and come together so quickly!
Hello friends! It’s Ashley back from The Recipe Rebel and I’m bringing my first Instant Pot recipe!
Do you have an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker? Are you big fans or just getting started?
I have had my Instant Pot for over a year now, but I’ve actually just gotten into using it more regularly in the last 3 months. I was really determined to figure it out and see what it could do!
I started with these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes and I never looked back. I love how quickly you can cook a large cut of meat or some simple veggies, even when you’re starting off from frozen!
Being a busy mom of 3 young kids, I’ll admit I sometimes have a problem remembering that I have to make dinner some nights. I love being able to just grab something out of the freezer and quickly cook it in the Instant Pot!
Making mashed potatoes can sometimes be a bit of a hassle: first peeling potatoes, then chopping, boiling, draining, mashing and seasoning. With these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, we’re cutting down on prep and cook time.
I don’t ever peel my potatoes (the skin packs in so many nutrients!), but you can if you absolutely must. The potatoes are so tender once the cook time is up that the skin easily mashes in and you hardly even notice it.
Give your potatoes a quick chop, throw them into the pot with some chicken broth, pressure cook for 10 minutes, and mash. No draining necessary!
The chicken broth adds incredible flavour, and you can add whatever you like to season them after cooking: a little salt and pepper and butter if you’re keeping it simple or get a little crazy and add in some browned butter or flavoured cream cheese — anything goes here!
These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are perfect for Easter coming up — they’ll free up space on the stove and are totally hands off in the cooking process, so you can actually enjoy your holiday dinner with your guests 🙂
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds red potatoes cut into 1.5" pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker (no need for a trivet!) Pour in the chicken broth, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper and stir.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and set to Manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then open the valve to release remaining pressure.
- Add butter and mash until smooth. Season to taste. Serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
You might also like these recipes!