Slow Cooker Stuffed Bell Peppers are stuffed with ground beef, rice, diced tomatoes, black beans, and cheese. They cook to perfection in the slow cooker and make an excellent dinner!
Make life easier with a slow cooker! If you love slow cook dinners, try this Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef, Slow Cooker Korean Beef or Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon for a quick and easy meal.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
I love my slow cooker. If I could marry my slow cooker I would. Ok not really, but that is how much I love that thing.
I use my slow cooker year round. It is perfect for busy days. I love throwing a meal in and letting it cook all day.
Some of my favorite recipes on the blog are slow cooker recipes. And this one was definitely added to the list!
The entire family gobbled this one down and thought it was delicious.
Well, except for the picky eater. He ate the inside of the pepper. But hey its a start right? 🙂
What you need to make stuffed bell peppers
How perfect is the idea that you can cook your meal right inside a bell pepper?
You get your own individual serving right inside a pepper.
The meat is combined with rice, diced tomatoes, cheese and some amazing flavors and seasonings.
It slow cooks all day and the peppers turn soft so that you can just eat the whole thing right up!
- Bell Peppers: the larger the better. All colors work great for this recipe.
- Lean ground beef: one pound
- Onion: chopped
- Tomatoes: diced and in a can
- Wild rice: any kind of rice will work. Cook it ahead of time.
- Worcestershire sauce:
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese: shredded and divided for during and after the recipe is cooking and a garnish.
- Water: add this to the bottom of the slow cooker.
How you make stuffed bell peppers
Delicious bell peppers that are stuffed and cooked in your slow cooker!
So simple to make with loads of flavor!
Simple cook everything at once, then add them to eat pepper, stuffing them full.
Let the slow cooker tenderize the bell peppers and melt the cheese on top.
You have one delicious and tasty meal that everyone will love!
- Prepare each bell pepper: Cut off each top of the peppers and scrape out the seeds and membranes. Set aside.
- Stuff the bell peppers with cooked ingredients: Combine ground beef, onion, diced tomatoes, rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of cheese. Stuff each bell pepper with mixture. Put water in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Let the slow cooker do the work! Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours until peppers are tender and ground beef is cooked throughout.
- Garnish with cheese: About 15 minutes before serving, sprinkle remaining cheese and let it melt.
Do you need to pre-cook the bell peppers?
Nope! This is what is so nice about this meal. The slow cooker will do the work for you. This will leave the bell peppers some-what crisp.
If you prefer to pre-cook them, bake in the oven for 10-12 minuets at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help tenderize your bell peppers and get them softer than only being cooked in the slow cooker.
Don’t have a slow cooker?!
No worries! These stuffed peppers can still be made in the oven.
Bake your stuffed bell peppers at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 to 40 minutes.
Prepare the bell peppers the same as the instructions for slow cooker.
Place bell peppers in a pan and cover your pan with aluminum foil to ensure they don’t dry out in the process.
For the last 10 minutes, uncover and add the divided cheese and bake for 10 more minutes or until brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Add some toppings for a complete meal
- Sour cream
- Extra Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Pico De Gallo
Storing stuffed bell peppers
These are a great make-ahead meal!
You can either freeze them for another meal later on or store them in the refrigerator for a pre-made meal that week.
Enjoy these and the simplicity that they are!
Freezing stuffed bell peppers:
Prepare and make these stuffed bell peppers as normal. Let them cool completely.
You can freeze them individually or together in a freezer bag or an airtight shallow pan.
Wrap them in aluminum foil and place in a freezer bag. They will last up to 1 month in the freezer.
To reheat, thaw the bell peppers in the refrigerator overnight. You can add them back into the slow cooker or bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until heated through.
Refrigerate stuffed bell peppers:
These stuffed bell peppers will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 days long. Store in an airtight container for best results.
To reheat, warm them up in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes.
For more stuffed bell pepper ideas, try these recipes:
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Slow Cooker Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 Large Bell Peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup wild rice cooked (any kind of rice will work)
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese divided
- 1/4 cup water to put on the bottom of the slow cooker
- Cut off each top of the peppers and scrape out the seeds and membranes. Set aside.
- Combine ground beef, onion, diced tomatoes, rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of cheese. Stuff each bell pepper with mixture. Put water in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours until peppers are tender and ground beef is cooked throughout.
- About 15 minutes before serving, sprinkle remaining cheese and let it melt.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Picture Updated 8-16-17
This has been one of my go-to recipes for 3 years! It’s so yummy, filling and easy. Love it!
Oh my goodness..great recipe but SO confused about cooking or not cooking the ground beef….I cooked everything 1st.
Could I use riced cauliflower in lieu of rice?
Sure! That sounds delicious and healthy!
This is delicious, but for my own self, I blanch the peppers in boiling water and lightly brown my ground beef. Other than that I follow the recipe exactly. It is sooo good and easy!
Do you put in cooked or uncooked rice???
The rice is cooked ahead of time but the other ingredients are raw and cooked together in the slow cooker.
If putting in the oven, do I need to add water to the pan?
It doesn’t hurt but it is also not necessary.
Hi, Confused as there are conflicting replies…do you or do you NOT cook the beef before putting mixture into peppers? I’ve made this recipe many times and never cooked the beef prior to stuffing
No, you do not need to brown the meat and mixture prior to adding it to the bell peppers.
Allergic to rice, can some other grain such as quinoa be used.
Yes, that sounds great and will be tasty!
Do you have to brown the beef before cooking in the slow cooker?
No, you do not need to brown the meat first. The slow cooker will cook it for you. Enjoy your peppers!
You stuff the peppers with raw ground beef correct?
No, you cook the beef first then add it to the bell peppers.
For the stuffed bell peppers do not cook the ground beef first. Also, my husband is a hunter can I use ground venison
Ground venison will be delicious! I don’t brown the meat first, I let the slow cooker cook it through in the bell peppers.
My slow cooker only has low for 8 hours…will this be okay?
Yes, just watch it on the last hour but it should cook just fine.
Do you mix the beans and cooked rice and all other ingredients with raw meat or do you brown the beef with the onions?
Yes, that is correct! Let the slow cooker do all the work:)!
I cooked these in the oven. I did cook the peppers last night.
My husband loves this.
I added 4 oz tomato sauce, because I used cherry tomatoes from our garden. I didn’t have diced tomatoes. More Worcester was added
This recipe is definitely a keeper!