These Thai chicken skewers are marinated in coconut milk, curry and spices and then grilled to perfection. It’s a quick and easy meal that’s packed full of flavor!
I love Thai food, so I decided to recreate some of my favorite restaurant flavors at home with these grilled chicken skewers. Chunks of chicken breasts are marinated in coconut milk, curry paste, ginger and lime, then threaded onto skewers and grilled. The marinade takes just 5 minutes to put together, and the chicken should sit in the marinade for at least one hour, or up to 8 hours if you like to plan ahead!
You can find all the ingredients you need for the marinade in any major grocery store. The red curry paste comes in small jars and is typically found in the ethnic foods aisle. If it’s not grilling weather, you can either broil the chicken skewers or use a grill pan on your stove top. After the chicken comes off the grill, it gets sprinkled with cilantro and chopped peanuts.
I serve these Thai chicken skewers with a quick and easy peanut sauce. If you’re in a hurry, you can use a store bought peanut sauce, but the homemade sauce tastes so much better and takes just minutes to put together.
I typically serve my chicken skewers with steamed rice and a green veggie to round out the meal; all three of my kids happily devour this dinner which never happens!
The next time you’re craving Thai food, skip the take out and make these chicken skewers at home instead, you’ll be glad you did.
Thai Chicken Skewers
For the chicken skewers:
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste or more if you prefer it spicy
- 1 inch knob of ginger peeled and cut into 3 slices
- the zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Place the coconut milk, brown sugar, curry pasta, ginger, lime zest, salt and pepper in a resealable freezer bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- Place the chicken in the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour or up to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan to medium heat. Place the chicken skewers on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle the cilantro and peanuts on top of the chicken and serve with peanut sauce.
For the peanut sauce:
- Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, sesame oil, garlic and warm water in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and serve alongside the chicken.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Other recipes you might like: