This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Introducing the BEST twice baked potato casserole you will ever make! Loaded with tender baked potatoes, bacon, and cheese then baked together in a delicious creamy casserole.
I always have potatoes on hand because they are perfect for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Some of our favorite recipes are potato-based and I know you’ll love them too! Make this hashbrown casserole for breakfast, this soup for lunch, or this steak bites and potatoes for dinner.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Skip the time it takes to load up each individual potato just to bake them twice! This easy twice baked potato casserole is the answer to giving you more time in the kitchen. Throw all of your ingredients into a bowl and mix until creamy. Place it into a casserole dish and you have a simplified version that everyone will love.
Let’s talk casseroles. There is just something so comforting and delicious about a warm homemade casserole. They’re also easy because it’s baked and served in one big dish. Easy for transporting and convenient for clean up. Try this incredible breakfast casserole, this popular chicken casserole, or my favorite poppyseed casserole. You will LOVE them all!
This is all you need to make an irresistible twice baked potato casserole! The best part about this recipe is that you can prep the potatoes ahead of time! Then assembling the potatoes only takes minutes. You can find measurements for each ingredient in the recipe card below.
- Russet Potatoes: Perfect for mashing, but any kind of potatoes will work.
- Oil: For rubbing on the potatoes before they bake.
- Bacon: Cooked and crumbled.
- Butter: Salt butter is best in this recipe. Potatoes need a lot of salt and seasonings.
- Sour Cream: Makes the potatoes creamy and delicious.
- Half and Half: You can also use milk.
- Cheddar Cheese: Cheese is a must with twice baked potatoes. The cheesy layer on top is my favorite!
- Onion Powder: Adds flavor to the potatoes
- Kosher Salt and Pepper: Season to taste.
- Green Onions: Garnish with green onions on top!
Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
This cheesy hashbrown casserole is something that anyone can make! It’s so easy but turns out perfectly every time. Your friends and family won’t be able to resist the creamy, cheesy goodness.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare and Bake the Potatoes: Scrub the potatoes clean then wipe them dry and rub them with olive oil. Prick the potatoes with a fork to help release steam as they bake. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Cook the Bacon: Cook and crumble the bacon. Reserve 1/4 cup for the top of the casserole.
- Adjust the Oven Temperature: Once the potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the oven then decrease the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the Potatoes: Remove the skins from the potatoes. Cut them into chunks and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Butter, Sour Cream, Half and Half, and Seasonings: Add the butter, sour cream, half and half, shredded cheese, onion powder, and salt and pepper.
- Mix Potatoes and Ingredients: Smash the potatoes with a potato masher or electric hand mixer until combined and creamy.
- Stir in the Cheese and Bacon: Fold in 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese and 1/2 cup bacon crumbles.
- Add Potato Mixture to a Baking Dish: Add the potato mixture to a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top With Cheese and Bacon: Top the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and reserved bacon.
- Bake and Enjoy: Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole Variations
The great thing about casseroles is that there are so many delicious ways to customize them. Here are some of my favorite add-ins and variations to make your twice baked potato casserole extra special!
- Swap the Cheese: Colby Jack is a great substitute for cheddar. If you want a little heat, you can also swap out your cheddar for pepper jack cheese.
- Add-Ins: Add jalapenos for a little heat. You can also add cooked shredded chicken for a hearty meal!
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
This twice baked potato casserole makes the BEST leftovers! We like them better the next day anyway because the flavors get tastier. Follow my instructions below for storing and reheating leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Stored in the refrigerator, your casserole will last for 4-5 days. Store leftovers in an airtight container for the best results!
- To Reheat: Pop your casserole in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also warm up individual slices in the microwave with 15-30-second cooking intervals.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- olive oil for rubbing
- 10-12 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, and divided
- 3/4 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup half and half, or milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub the potatoes clean. Wipe them dry and rub them with olive oil. Prick the potatoes with a fork to help release steam as they bake. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Cook and crumble the bacon. Reserve 1/4 cup for the top of the casserole.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the oven then decrease the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the skins from the potatoes. Cut them into chunks and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, sour cream, half and half, onion powder, and salt and pepper.
- Smash the potatoes with a potato masher or electric hand mixer until combined and creamy.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese and 1/2 cup bacon crumbles.
- Add the potatoes mixture to a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and reserved bacon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Top with sliced green onions and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.