Hashbrown casserole is the ultimate cheesy comfort food! This creamy, hearty dish is perfect for potlucks, parties, and to serve as a side!
Casseroles are so easy to prepare and great for a crowd! Chicken parmesan casserole, corn casserole, and this amazing breakfast casserole are more great recipes for when you’re craving an easy, hearty meal.
Classic Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
When you’re looking to indulge in carbs and cheese… a potato casserole is the answer! Today’s recipe is inspired by Cracker Barrel’s cheesy, creamy hashbrown casserole which is one of my favorite sides! It tastes similar to funeral potatoes, just without the crispy topping. It’s a delicious combination of potatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and cream of chicken soup!
My youngest (whose diet consists primarily of chicken nuggets) absolutely loves this hashbrown casserole, so it’s perfect for even the pickiest eaters in your family! There’s a reason why a version of this dish is at almost every potluck I go to- it’s just that good! You can’t go wrong with the combination of cheese and potatoes. You’re going to love how your casserole turns out!
All Ingredients Needed
This is all you need to make an irresistible hash brown casserole! The best part about this recipe is that you can use frozen hash browns for easy prep! No thawing required! You can find measurements for each ingredient in the recipe card below.
- Frozen Shredded Hashbrown Potatoes: No need to thaw your frozen potatoes, just throw them in as-is! Also, feel free to experiment with other shapes/sizes. Diced hashbrowns work great, too!
- Seasonings and Spices: I used a mixture of dried thyme, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cheddar Cheese: Prepackaged cheese is a great option, but if you really want to take your casserole to the next level, try using freshly grated cheddar!
- Butter: Butter is a must in any comfort food! It adds richness and flavor.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Adds creaminess and savory flavor. You can use canned soup or make it from scratch for better flavor. Find my recipe here!
- Sour Cream: A must-add for delicious tangy flavor. You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
How to Make the Best Hashbrown Casserole
This cheesy hashbrown casserole is something that anyone can make! It’s so easy but turns out perfectly every time. Your friends and family won’t be able to resist the creamy, cheesy goodness.
- Preheat Oven, Prep Baking Dish: Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine Hash Browns, Cheese, and Seasonings: In a large bowl, mix together the frozen hash browns, onion powder, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Prepare Soup Mixture: Add the butter and cream of chicken soup to a medium saucepan. Heat and stir the mixture over medium-high heat until the butter is melted. Remove the saucepan from the stove, and stir in the sour cream.
- Pour Over Hash Browns: Pour the soup mixture over the hash brown mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Transfer to Pan and Bake: Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
The great thing about casseroles is that there are so many delicious ways to customize them. Here are some of my favorite add-ins and variations!
- Swap the Cheese: Other melty cheeses like mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and provolone work great as a substitute for cheddar. If you want a little heat, you can also swap out your cheddar for pepper jack cheese.
- Add Meat: Feel free to throw in things like cubed ham or bacon bits for added flavor and texture! You can also add cooked shredded chicken!
How Long Does Leftover Hashbrown Casserole Last?
Stored in the refrigerator, your hashbrown casserole will last for 4-5 days. Wrap in plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container for the best results!
To Reheat: Pop your casserole in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also warm up individual slices in the microwave with 15-30 second cooking intervals.
- 30 oz Frozen Shredded Hashbrown Potatoes
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme, optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 10.75 oz Cream of Chicken Soup, canned
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the frozen hash browns, onion powder, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Add the butter and cream of chicken soup to a medium saucepan. Heat and stir the mixture over medium high heat until the butter is melted. Remove the saucepan from the stove, and stir in the sour cream.
- Pour the soup mixture over the hash brown mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and top with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.