Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread

Make sure to become a follower and like my facebook page for the latest and greatest!

I have a weakness for bread.  And bread is one of the worst things for you and so high in carbs.  This bread turned out fantastic for being lower in calories!   But is it any good?  It is delicious!  And you would never know that you use applesauce and wheat flour in it.  It didn’t last long in our house, it was too yummy!
skinnypumpkin2

Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

A delicious a moist pumpkin cream cheese bread with half of the calories!
Ingredients
  • Batter:
  • 1-1/2 c. pureed pumpkin
  • ½ c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 whole egg
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • ⅔ c. whole wheat flour
  • ½ c. Stevia Cup For Cup sweetener
  • ½ c. granulated sugar1 t. baking soda
  • ½ t. ground cinnamon1/2 t. ground nutmeg
  • Cream filling:
  • 8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
  • ¼ c. granulated sugar
  • 1 T. all-purpose flour
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. For the Batter: With an electric mixer, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, and egg whites on medium speed until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, Stevia, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
  2. For the cream cheese filling: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg whites and flour until creamy and smooth.
  3. Grease 2 8x4x2″ loaf pans. Divide half of the batter between the two pans. Pour half of the filling in one pan and the other half in the second pan and smooth with the back of a spoon. Top with the remaining batter.
  4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Don’t overbake or your bread will be dry on the edges. Cool and remove from pans. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Notes
Recipe Source Pincookie
Alyssa

Comments

• Terri Johnsen says

The calorie count is quite off here. I like the idea of the bread but I like to know what I’m eating for calories. Especially when I am trying to loss weight. I did the calorie math and even divided into two loafs this comes out to a minimum of 787 calories per loaf. I can however see ways to get the calorie count down maybe another 100 calories or so per loaf. Still sounds yummy!

• Gina says

I agree with you Terri, I also found it highly unlikely that this bread only had 500 calories per loaf. My calculations came out much higher too. :) It still looks very good!

1. says

That looks amazing. We love sweet breads and pumpkin! How perfect. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

2. says

That looks so yummy I just made pumpkin butter and posted it on my blog… Its my favorite time of year…pumpkin everywhere. I cant wait to make this one… Saving calories where you can is always awesome!

3. says

I love that the entire loaf is 500 calories, because the way this looks I will probably want to eat the entire thing! Thanks so much for sharing, I can’t wait to try it!

• says

Oh I guess that little detail is needed right? I have gone ahead and added that. Bake it at 350 for about 40 minutes. Mine took a little longer. But just make sure the toothpick comes out clean! :)

• says

When you add up all the calories it’s about 2,200, not 1,000. The flour called for is a total of 728, the real sugar 581, and the cream cheese (neufchatel) is about 590. Those ingredients alone add up to 1,899, not counting everything else.

• says

I am not sure where you have gotten your ingredients. Mine are just basic wal-mart brand.
      Flour 1/4 cup= 100 cals. Making it 400 cals
      8 oz fat free cream cheese= 96 cals for 3.5 oz making it around 250 cals
      Applesauce 1/2 cup= 52 calories
      Currently am out of sugar.
      Can of pumpkin= 60 cals
      egg whites= 32 cals
      This total is about 794 cals without the sugar.

I plan on buying all of the ingredients and taking a picture for all of you getting technical about the calories. Being technical or not, this is a healthier way to enjoy a good pumpkin bread. :)

• Amanda says

I agree, I still can’t wait to try this! The picture looks amazingly yummy and the fact that it is healthier than your average pumpkin bread is a HUGE bonus! Thanks so much for sharing, I LOVE pumpkin so cannot wait to try this healthier alternative!

4. Kimberl Kerr says

Alyssa,
    Don’t take the 500cal off! That is what drew me to your post. I am always looking for low cal desserts/breads to make. People will critic you even if you said it had 1,000cal in the loaf. I pass by recipes that don’t give the nutrional value, its important to me.
    Keep doing what your doing, there is always one in the crowd..lol…

• Alyssa says

Man I sure did take a beating for putting that in the title! Haha Either way it is healthier and lower in calories!!! Thanks for the support!!!

5. Janice says

I made this today and it is delicious!!! BUT my ingredients came to a total of 2,124 calories (I entered it into MyFitnessPal). Admittedly it’s difficult to get fat free cream cheese here in Hong Kong, but I used Philadelphia 1/3 less fat (light) and that alone is 490 cal. Anyway I get 8 slices per tin (2 tins) and each slice is 133 cal. Now that is good news :-)

Next time I will make it with 100% stevia and that will knock off 600 cals straight away. The flour alone is 675 cal so can’t see how to improve on that. I so need fat free cream cheese!!

Thanks for a great recipe and loving your site!

6. Sarah says

Please don’t take the calories off! Some people just live to complain and put others down. I was drawn to this because of the calorie count, and I’m so happy I have a yummy, autumn dessert I can enjoy all season without feeling guilty. Thank you!

7. Lisa says

I made this yesterday and it was wonderful. I did not have loaf pans so I made it in a bundt pan and it turned out perfectly. For the cream filling, I used cream cheese that was made partly with greek yogurt, so it had 4 grams of protein and half the fat of regular cream cheese. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It really satisfied my craving for pumpkin bread.

8. says

Hey!!! Oh I loved this! I’m a photographer and LOVE food photography, and when I made this, I photographed the process, BUT I never posted it to the blog because I couldn’t get the marbling that you got! Was there a trick to it with the cream cheese? Please help!!! :D

9. Becky says

Made this bread today. It was delicious!! I am closely watching my calories, so I did work out the calorie count. It looks like you didn’t add the wheat flour, whole egg, extra TBLS flour and underestimated the 1 1/2 c pumpkin (my can said 120 calories), the 5 egg whites are 85 calories and I bought the Wal-mart brand fat free cream cheese and it is 320 for 8 oz. When I added it all up it came to about 1900 calories for the 2 loaves. That is REALLY good (the calorie count) for a quick, sweet bread, so thank you for the recipe!!…I just thought I would add a more accurate calorie content so those that are watching their calories don’t over do eating it….not to be nit picky…:)

10. Marie says

Hey, I’m still pretty confused as to how even 1 of 2 loafs is 500 cals, without the cream cheese topping part my calculations using the info on the labels is still 750+ (with the cream cheese mixture it would be at least 25o more) I LOVE that this is healthier, but I do think it’s only fair to have detailed nutrition info when posting these recipes. may people may go ahead and eat the whole loaf thinking it’s only 500cal (or half thinking it s a very reasonable 250) when it’s really twice that! That will definitely through off a diet.
    I don’t think you need to change the name or anything, but having the real count on here is probably important. I’m not being critical, I really think it’s a great and yummy healthier version of a usually very fat filled recipe!

11. Teresa says

I actually thought that the 500 calories was per SLICE, and I still looked because it looks so GOOD. Imagine my surprise–that’s per loaf…WOW

12. Stephanie says

I think everyone who is being nit picky about the calories is ridiculous! Plain and simple it is much healthier and calorie conscience than regular pumpkin bread! If counting calories is such a big deal to those you should go out and find a different recipe or make your own!

Alyssa you did wonderful and I am definitely going to try this I’m so sorry some people just think to bring their negativity to others whenever they find the chance! Keep your head up because you did a magnificent job! I love pumpkin bread and this will keep me on better try during the fall season than eating all the regular pumpkin bread I devour!

Thanks steph

13. Niki says

Oh my stars people! (I want to say gosh, but I tell my 3 year old she can”t say oh my gosh. Oh wait, who am I kidding? My 3 year old isn’t going to read this….) Oh my gosh people! This recipe has been up almost a year, and you’re still griping about the calorie count?! She has said umpteen times already that your ingredients may vary some. She made the calculations based on the ingredients she used. If you are watching your calories that close, then by all means do the calculations yourself. Take the recipe. Leave the recipe. Just quit complaining about it!!

And Alyssa, I can’t wait to try this. It looks delish.

• MG says

Seems like a mighty big discrepancy for the calories…maybe that’s why people are “griping”. The people I read seemed to have a fine attitude. It does seem like some people around here are on the defense though?

14. katrina says

Hi alysssa! This pumpkin bread looks amazing! However, i dont have stevia, how much regular sugar should i use instead?

15. Nichole says

If I don’t have any wheat flour on hand can I substitute the same amount of white flour–making it 1 2/3 cups flour total?

16. Amy says

Do you think you could just use gluten free flour instead of the flour and whole wheat flour? I can’t have the gluten but your recipe looks delish.

17. Courtney says

Hi – This recipe looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to try it. I have never used Stevia before in my baking. Do you have a brand you like? Do you just purchase it at the grocery store- or do you need to order it online?
    Thanks!

18. Mary says

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Pumpkin bread is a favorite around my house and your picture looks amazing. I try to sneak healthy foods and recipes in since my husband loves junk food (yet somehow manages to stay thin, lucky guy!). I haven’t made pumpkin bread yet this year but promised him I would soon so hopefully he won’t notice this is healthier than my usual recipe. And whether this is 500 or 5000 calories I appreciate you sharing a healthier recipe. The other people on here complaining about your calorie count really need to quit being so picky! If you’re really trying that hard to keep your calories down you probably shouldn’t be eating this type of food in the first place! Thanks for the recipe!

19. melanie says

Just curious if you have experimented with using ground flax as an egg replacement, or if you have used agave nectar as a sugar sub in this recipe. I don’t bake much, so I am wondering if adding the dry ground flax in place of a couple eggs, and using the wet agave nectar in place of granulated sugar may all balance out and bake up right.

20. Beth says

I just bought all of the ingredients to make this today & my bread pans are missing :/ Would it work out the same if I tried it in a muffin pan??

21. says

Hi do I have to do the wheat flour or can I do the same amount of just regular? I have everything else to make it but that! Looks so yummy!!!

22. Tracy Kelsey says

Made this, followed everything to the T and it was AMAZING!! Everyone at my home/job went crazy over it! Haven’t stopped making it since. Thank so much!

23. Seg says

Great recipe…made without filling…dairy-free for family member
    Thank you…Rate as 5….
    Having trouble rating on phone.

24. LLuvia says

I made this cake and loved it! Because I am a compulsive bread eater, I played with the ingredients to lower the calorie count and loved it even more knowing I was consuming less calories. I substituted the white flour with whole wheat, truvia for sugar 1/2 cup, did not add the egg whites, and eliminated the cream cheese completely:) bread was still fluffy, moist and supper yummy!!!

25. says

Just pulled this out of the oven! Can’t wait to have a slice. I actually added calories in mine, as I didn’t have some of the ingredients:) WOO-HOO! Thanks for the recipe!

26. Lindsey says

FWIW, I followed your recipe exactly and divided it into five mini loaf pans and if the nutrition information on My Fitness Pal is accurate, each loaf is 499 calories. So there’s your 500 calorie skinny pumpkin cream cheese bread!

27. Val says

This bread was delicious! I used all white whole wheat flour, fat free cream cheese & sweet n low instead of stevia. I also coated the top with brown sugar & cinnamon before I baked it. Yummy!

• Val says

Oh yeah I also poured half the batter in one 9x5x2 loaf pan, then the cream cheese mixture, then the rest of the batter & just swirled it all in. Came out perfect!

Trackbacks