Skinny Taco Soup is jam packed with flavor and texture and is a comforting hearty meal your whole family will love! The meat and beans are super filling and the spices from the seasonings make your taste buds smile.
It’s the perfect complete meal all in one bowl! If you are like me and you love soup that you can throw together quickly any night of the week.. 8 can chicken taco soup recipe, taco soup or easy cheesy taco soup
Skinny Taco Soup
Ingredients to Make Taco Soup:
- Ground lean turkey meat: I love when I find a recipe that I can use ground turkey meat! It is so low calorie and low fat while still high protein!!
- Diced tomatoes: I used the fire roasted
- Taco seasoning: For more flavor I like to add 2 packets!
- Tomato soup: The comforting tomato flavors give a creamy base to this taco soup.
- Dark kidney beans: An excellent plant-based source of protein that some say may aid in weight loss. Yes please!
- Diced olives: These salty and tangy olives add flavor, but if you don’t love them you can definitely leave them out!
- Corn: The corn gives this turkey soup a hint of sweetness.
- Jalapeno – if you want to make it mild I’ve also made it with ⅓ cup chopped bell pepper instead.
- Green chilies – Similar flavors to jalapeno, but more mild.
- Dry ranch dressing mix – Most dry ranch packets include flavors from onion powder, onion flakes, dill, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried chives. So, it will add a lot of flavor to your soup if you choose to add it.
- Canned black beans and pinto beans – When I don’t have pinto beans I use great northern beans. Or you could just use 2 cans of black beans.
Let’s Heat Some Soup
- Brown the ground turkey meat: I love to cook mine in this skillet.
- Add all of the cans: Simply dump all the ingredients into the pot. It doesn’t get easier than that!
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve: Its more than enough to share so dish it out and enjoy!
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
- Add an extra packet of taco seasoning to make it extra taco-y!
- Do not add the water from the tomato soup can if you are like me and enjoy your soup a little thicker. If you want it more runny, add the water.
- Be sure to drain and rinse beans so soup isn’t overly salty.
- When I cook soups with ground turkey, I like to give it an extra flavor and color boost by adding the spices before I add the turkey to the rest of the soup ingredients.
- First, I cook the turkey and diced onions in a large skillet until done, breaking it up with a fork to make sure there are no large clumps of meat. Then I sprinkle the meat mixture with my spices and then cook and stir for another three to four minutes.
- The chili powder, paprika, and black pepper especially work to give the meat a nice, rich color so you can fake out the family—they’ll never guess that it’s turkey instead of beef!
How to switch up your Skinny Taco Soup:
Add all your favorite taco soup toppings and customize your meal just the way you like it. Mix it up or keep it plain! These variations are great ideas to get you started, just remember to be creative and enjoy your taco soup recipe!
- Serve with: Avocado, sour cream, tortilla strips, lime wedges, Guacamole, chopped cilantro, salsa, rice, shredded mexican cheese, diced green or white onions, Diced green or white onions, Jalapeños
- Swap out: ground turkey for ground beef – use lean ground beef for best results. I go for 85% or 90% Angus.
- Slow cooker? Yes! To make your skinny taco soup in the Crock Pot just brown the onions and beef, and then garlic, drain fat and add mixture to the slow cooker. Then add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce and spices. Cover and cook on low heat 5 – 6 hours. Stir in corn and beans and heat through (then add cilantro and lime if using).
- Vegetarian option: If you wanted to make it vegetarian you could use lentils or another can of beans.
Storing Taco Soup:
- To freeze, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on the stove or microwave.
- I recommend freezing this soup in jars or individual containers so it’s easy to thaw out exactly how much you need.
- When reheating, too thin it out simply add more broth or water.
More Soup Recipes:
- Crock Pot Lentil Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ham and Bean Soup
Skinny Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground lean turkey meat
- 2 cans or 1 big can of diced tomatoes I used the fire roasted
- 1 taco sesaoning or package low sodium taco seasoning, I used 2
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 can dark kidney beans
- 3 small cans diced olives
- 1 can corn
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.