Homemade Snickers Bars

Remember when I told you I hated chocolate?  Yeah I was a weird and deprived child.  Snickers are what broke me of my hate for chocolate.  Now I can make them at home?  This spells trouble.

homemadesnickersbarsI started eating Snickers in high school.  But I would seriously peel the chocolate off and eat the caramel and nougat.  That is how much I hated chocolate but loved the inside of a Snickers.  By my senior year, I started to get lazy and would just eat the entire bar with the chocolate.  My love for Snickers goes waaaaaay back.  They have always been my #1 candybar.

My favorite part of a Snickers bar is the nougat.  It is so creamy and I love the peanuts inside.  Of course my second favorite part is the caramel.  But I am obsessed with caramel.  These Homemade Snickers Bars taste just like the real deal.  I couldn’t believe it!  They are absolutely fantastic.  These are another one of my favorite things from my blog that will be served on a silver platter when I die. 🙂

Homemade Snickers Bars
Make delicious Snickers bars right at home! These are fantastic!
Serves: 16
  • Botton Chocolate Layer:
  • 1¼ cups milk chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup peanut butter
  • Nougat Layer:
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup evaporated milk
  • 1½ cups marshmallow fluff
  • ¼ cup peanut butter
  • 1½ cups salted peanuts, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Caramel Layer:
  • 14 ounce bag of caramels
  • ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
  • Top Chocolate Layer:
  • 1¼ cup milk chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup peanut butter
  1. Thoroughly grease a 9x13 pan. I lined it with heavy duty aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. This way they just popped right out.
  2. For the bottom layer: Add chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave safe dish. Melt them together, stirring after every 30 seconds being careful not to let the chocolate burn. Spread the layer evenly in the bottom of your 9x13 pan. I put each layer in the fridge to let it completely harden. This will help speed up the process because each layer need to be completely cooled and set.
  3. For the nougat layer: Melt the butter over medium high heat in saucepan. Add the milk and sugar and bring mixture to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, whisking together occasionally. Add in marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, and vanilla stirring until smooth. Take the saucepan off of the heat and fold in the peanuts. Pour over the bottom chocolate layer and spread evenly. Allow to cool completely.
  4. For the caramel layer: Melt caramels and heavy whipping cream in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Pour over the nougat layer and allow to cool completely.
  5. For the top chocolate layer: Melt chocolate and peanut butter in the microwave together stirring 30 seconds at a time until smooth. Pour over and spread evenly over the caramel. Cool bars completely in the fridge. Keep them in fridge until right before serving because the bars will soften. Enjoy!
Recipe Source How Sweet Eats

Cranberry Apple Crush

Time to Sparkle Link Party #35

1. I just found your blog through your Cherry Pie Bar recipe. I can’t wait to try it.! I’ve subscribed to your blog because of it :). What I really loved about that blog post were the other things you wrote about it in 2012.

You gave it a difficulty rating, things you would change and do differently, and if you would make it again. I would love it if you would continue with that. I found that so helpful.

This recipe, while delicious, looks a bit difficult, I’m not a cook who has the patience to muddle through a time consuming recipe.

• I just made them. They really are easy. Really! Trust me, you won’t be disappoint. They are so rich, I cut them into one inch squares, they lasted a whole month in the fridge. Now they are all gone 🙁 SO I AM MAKING MORE, RIGHT SNICKER NOW!

2. Snickers are my favorite candy bar too. These look incredible and I love that you used marshmallow fluff in the nougat.

3. Sadly, in the UK at least, by the time you go get all the items you need for this it’s cheaper to go buy a snickers bar (or five)

Good idea but none of these ideas from the USA save money if you live in the UK ;(

4. This could be so dangerous. I was the opposite of you in high school, more chocolate the better 🙂

5. Instead of marshmallow fluff could melted marshmallows be used for the nougat?

6. Just made this for Christmas… Super yummy but the nougat layer was tricky. Is it supposed to burn like that?

7. Ohhhh…I developed a peanut allergy later in life and snickers is one thing I really miss! I am so making this with almond butter 😉 Thanks!

8. I just found your snickers recipe( thank you), but couldn’t help noticing how gorgeous you are!

9. made these last night,
    1. I found that the nougat gets very hard almost burned (like above lady said) and no way you can add peanuts, maybe a bit less boil time, I made it work and it tasted fine, just not soft like it should have been.
    2. I put the peanuts in the melted caramel (much better)
    It tastes fine and just have to restrict my consumption or would eat the whole bloody pan…

• It could be that Alyssa lives at a high elevation (like me), where it takes longer to cook things. If you live at or near sea level, the nougat layer will cook much more quickly.

• Mine did not burn..No where near it. keep stirring constantly and turn your heat down to medium after it starts to boil.

10. Angie W. says:

These look so easy! (And YUMMY!) I have a question though. Why do you grease the pan if you’re just going to line it with foil? That sounds like an unnecessary step. Just wondering.

11. Sandra Zaninovich says:

There’s no way in the world I’d ever be able to make these, I can barely boil spaghetti! So can I hire you to make them for me :-)?

12. These look incredible! Can’t wait to give these a try!

13. I followed every step exactly, except instead of 1 tsp of vanilla I did 1/2 tsp almond extract and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract -it was actually an accident but came out so so yummy! I was extra careful not to burn any ingredients while melting them and the snickers bars came out perfect!!

14. Greg Dogwill says:

Darn you. You had to go and post this recipe. Snickers are a vice of mine. I mean, I can make a meal of them. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh, can’t forget dessert! These are FANTABULOUS!!! Thanks for posting Alyssa.

15. do u think I could use ice cream thick topping for the carmel and then would u use alone or with the cream. Please e-mail me and let me know thanks

16. this may come to you twice can I use ice cream thick topping from jar for this thanks e-mail me

• Ruthie Quast says:

Was surprised to see the name “Quast” come up. It was my maiden name. I have had 2 other names since. There are several others in Michigan and Florida.

17. Marlene stark says:

Looks very good can’t wait to make it!!!!!!

18. I found this recipe and thought it would be perfect for my ten year old daughter to enter in our county fair. She made the bars and ended up getting First Place and Best of Show for them! Thanks for the great recipes!

19. I also am not a huge fan of chocolate and will bite off the chocolate and spit it out so I can eat the yummy caramel! I will make this, but maybe with only 1 layer of chocolate 😉

20. Wow, we LOVED this recipe! I have plenty of staples in the house to make lots of yummies and I didn’t necessarily want to go and spend more money on marshmallows or caramels, so I made both last night. I made these snickers today and it was really simple to put together.

The end result is sooooooo delicious. Thank you so much for sharing.

I think I was like some of the others and the nougat cooked way fast. My heat was a little higher than necessary and I had a larger saucepan, so there was a lot more surface area to the mixture which allowed it to cook faster as well. But, it still turned out super yummy, just firm. Thank you so much for sharing this, the kids now have a yummy candy snack, and extra marshmallows for hot cocoa and for my coffee/latte in the mornings.

21. I searched for homemade snickers bar recipes for several weeks before finding yours. Tonight I followed your recipe and am thrilled with the result. Your directions were very easy to follow. For the caramel I used another one of my favorite recipes from averie cooks ( http://www.averiecooks.com/2014/06/the-best-and-easiest-homemade-salted-caramel-sauce.html) so that the entire bar felt homemade. It is so delicious that to avoid eating it all myself I am packaging it up to send it to work with my hubby in the morning. Love your site. Thanks for sharing!

22. I made this recipe and it turned out very good and very rich.
    I did make everything at home so it did take a bit more time than it needed…
    For the Caramel, I made this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/caramels/
    For the Marshmallow Fluff, , I made this recipe: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Candy/MarshmallowFluff.htm
    For Corn Syrup, I substituted with this: http://www.tasteofhome.com/cooking-tips/pantry-pointers/substitute-for-corn-syrup.
    So everything was home made this way, but again, a lot more time consuming. So at least you have options for some of the ingredients.

23. Elizabeth Smith says:

I love chocolate and nougat, peanuts and caramel, just not together. I eat all the chocolate then wait a few minutes for the taste of chocolate to leave my mouth then slowly eat the best part of a Snickers bar. I thought I was the only one!

24. Carolyn says:

sounds delicious

25. I have seen other copycat recipes online claiming to be “just like the original”, and they all fall short. But these are PERFECT! Possibly better than the real thing. My only complaint (aside from probably gaining 10 pounds, hehe) is that after sitting out a couple hours, the caramel starts to flow and they get very messy, fast. I wonder if leaving out the whipping cream would make the caramel stiffer? Or maybe cut it in squares then dip each one in chocolate again, so the edges get sealed? Or something else …. ???