Slow Cooker Korean Beef

Amazing and flavorful beef that slow cooks to tender melt in your mouth perfection!   This will be one of the best meals that you will make!

My youngest sister just left to college in Korea.  We had a fun little going away party for her.  I grilled up some Korean Chicken and it was amazing!  The flavors were out of this world and it was a hit at the party.  I couldn’t wait to try some more recipes out.  My sister loves everything about Korea and the culture and I am excited to go and visit her soon.

When I started to do some research on a Korean Beef recipe, I found that the recipes are pretty similar to this Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef.  This recipe instantly became a favorite here on the blog.  One of the best things that I have ever had and quickly became popular.

With a a few slight changes this Slow Cooker Korean Beef was born.  And let me just tell you.  It is to die for.  As soon as it came out of the slow cooker I couldn’t stop eating it.  The flavor is absolute perfection.

I love cooking beef in the slow cooker because it cooks so tender.  One of my favorite ways to cook it.  It melts in your mouth with the first bite.  And you are going to love the flavor of this beef.  It thickens up as it cooks and coats the chicken perfectly.  Top with some sesame seeds and green onions and you will have a meal that you will make again and again!

Slow Cooker Korean Beef
Amazing and flavorful beef that slow cooks to tender melt in your mouth perfection! This will be one of the best meals that you will make!
Serves: 4
  • 1 ½ pounds Flank Steak
  • ¼ cups cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
  • ½ teaspoons mince Garlic, Cloves
  • ½ cups Soy Sauce
  • ½ cup beef broth
  • ¾ cups Brown Sugar
  • ¼ cup onion, chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • sesame seeds and green onions, for garnish
  1. Cut flank steak into thin strips. In a ziplock bag add flank steak pieces and cornstarch. Shake to coat.
  2. Add sesame oil, minced garlic, soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, onion, and red pepper flakes to the slow cooker. Stir ingredients. Add coated flank steak and stir again until coated in the sauce.
  3. Cook for high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours until cooked throughout and tender. Can serve over rice and garnish with green onions.

More Amazing Slow Cooker Beef Recipes:

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef

Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli

Slow Cooker Cashew Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Pumpkin Pecan Pie Bars

Three Cheese Garlic Pull Apart Bread

1. Oh I wish I had slow cooker. This beef looks mouthwatering.

• Cooking meat in a slow cooker is essentially braising, which has traditionally been done in the oven or on the stove top. You can make slow cooker dishes in your oven. Use a tightly covered braiser, Dutch or French oven, roasting pan, skillet or casserole. Foil can be used to cover if the pan doesn’t have a cover. Use 200 degrees for low, 300 for high and cook for the same amount of time. Check at the shorter cooking time and cook longer if meat isn’t fork tender. Make sure that the liquid doesn’t cover the ingredients (unless you’re making soup or stew).

I have two slow cookers and use them often. I use them for meat dishes in the summer, but actually prefer the oven method.

I’m eager to try this and the Mongolian Beef. Off to buy flank steak!

2. This beef looks absolutely delicious, and the idea of how tender it must be gives me chills! I wish I had a slow cooker too! Have a nice week!

3. Goodness that looks awesome! Pinned and trying 🙂

4. Jackelynn says:

What size slow cooker do you recommend using?

5. What would be a good substitution for Flank Steak?

6. I made this today and we just finished eating. I have to say, a lot of times, I’m disappointed in crockpot recipes, but this was so delicious. Even my picky son loved it. Thanks you so very much!

7. Followed exactly and did not like the flavor at all.

8. This recipe is in my slow cooker as we speak!!!! We’re so excited to try this!

9. I really like this. I like the taste 🙂

10. I am so excited to try this! Every January we have to switch what time we attend church, and this year we started 1:00 church so we leave the house around 12:30 and don’t get home til 4:20. We rely heavily on the crock pot but felt like we always were eating the same 3 crock pot recipes. Looks like you’ve got a ton of great ones! Thank you!!

• The 1-4 church time is so hard! Slow Cooker meals are perfect for those days! You come home from church to a wonderful smelling house and dinner! 🙂

11. Just wanted to point out an inconsistency in your write-up.

“And you are going to love the flavor of this beef. It thickens up as it cooks and coats the CHICKEN perfectly.”

I’m sure it was just a brain-fart. Looks really good though!

• Susan Motschman says:

Yeah, I noticed that too and was just going to write and ask what that meant. I did notice she mentioned in the beginning about making Korean Chicken….I don’t see a reply to you as yet….

12. Followed the recipe exactly and the liquid completely solidified. It seemed like very little liquid for a slow cooker recipe, so I was concerned. I cooked at at the lowest temperature for only four hours. Help! Maybe 3/4 c. brown sugar is too much? Anyone else have this problem?

13. Great recipe but you don’t need anywhere near this much sugar. A couple tablespoons at most. Seriously.

14. Not so good. Mine looked more like Gravy then a shiny, sticky coating. ugh… the taste was blandish/sweetish. Won’t make again.

15. This is so absolutely delicious, this truly is the best tasting thing I have ever made. I used 1/4 cup of low sodium soy and the other 1/4 cup of Braggs soy substitute. The extra liquid I put in with the extra rice left over from dinner and the extra meat for leftovers the next day, even better. Love ….love …love!!

• This is so absolutely delicious, this truly is the best tasting thing I have ever made. I used 1/4 cup of low sodium soy and the other 1/4 cup of Braggs soy substitute. The extra liquid I put in with the extra rice left over from dinner and the extra meat for leftovers the next day, even better. Love ….love …love!!
      I forgot to mention I used Slap meat because it was cheaper then flank and I accidently didn’t make it home in time, so it cooked for eight hours instead of four.

16. First, I want to say that I really liked this recipe. I thought it was delicious, and I would make it again. The only thing I changed is that I substituted sambal for the red pepper flakes for a more Asian flavor. My only suggestion would be to consider changing the name of this recipe. I am Korean, and I cook a lot of Korean food at home, and there is nothing distinctly Korean about this recipe. It’s Asian-inspired for sure, but not really Korean. I find that the name is misleading.

17. Great recipe 🙂 I used a skillet instead of a slow cooker and made it in 20 minutes (patience isn’t my strong suit). Think I’m going to try 1/4 soy sauce and 1/4 cup water next time… Just a little salty for my taste. Otherwise, amazing 🙂 Great sauce consistency and everything!!!

18. Made this a couple of nights ago. It looked so amazing in the picture and I love anything I can make in the crockpot. When mine was finished cooking it was a pile of goo. The flavor was very bland and didn’t look anything like the picture. I also doubled the recipe so we could eat it again for lunch. Big mistake! It was completely gelatinous the next day. Won’t be making this one again.

19. Made this tonight, its way too sweet for me. Are you sure its 3/4 cup of sugar?! Maybe should be 1/4 cup?

20. Jessica says:

As someone has already said, I followed the recipe exactly as well and it did not turn out well. Some weird gooey sort of thing that separated from the beef and left a layer on top.. very weird tasting. I wouldn’t make this again.

• We liked this a lot and I just read a comment that they loved it too! I will have to make it again to test it out.

21. B Lawrence says:

It may not be authentic, but it was great and easy too!

22. Andreanne says:

made this yesterday and I wasn’t a huge fan. I definitely overcooked it so I’m pretty sure that was one of the biggest issues (so I thought) until I read that others were having the same problems that I was:
    -gooey and gelatinous
    -not super tasty

-I did use honey instead of sugar, reduced-sodium soy sauce instead of regular.
    -I ended up cooking it for about 6 hours on low but I should have done it for the recommended time.
    -maybe if you use too much or overcook corn starch it turns into a super gooey gelatinous mess? I’m wondering if gluten free flour would work

23. Gabriela says:

Hi! I wanted to try this recipe for tonight but to make it for 8. Should I double ALL ingredients? I know sometimes it doesn’t work that way.

24. Great recipe! Korean beef is one of my favourite. I think I need a new Slow Cooker now

25. Ashley W. says:

Made this tonight! Soooo good. I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup though and I’m glad I did. 🙂 3/4 cup seemed a little excessive to me, but if you like sweetness I guess…not quite my tastes though!

26. veronika says:

please, the difference between cup and cups? Thank you!

27. Abby Bananabaker says:

Suuuuuper pleased. I’m leaving a review mostly for the sake of the change that I made: I’m never able to afford flank or skirt steak, and I had been shamefacedly avoiding some bottom round steak in my freezer, which is a tough cut and hard to find good recipes for. But I trusted my instincts with this one, and man, it did not disappoint! I ended up making a double recipe because of the amount of steak I had, but otherwise I tried to limit any adjustments I made. For a little more depth, I added in about a tablespoon of ginger paste and a dash of sriracha, and I always toast my sesame seeds first for a little extra smokiness. I also cut back on the amount of brown sugar (I used a 1/2 C total, for a double batch), as other reviewers suggested, and I found it still plenty sweet and delicious.

I followed the recipe to a T, otherwise, and I found that after a couple hours, my steak did have that glossy glaze on it; I wonder if it’s because I cook on high heat instead of low? Anyway, I sacrificed that lovely glaze in favor of a longer cook time. Since bottom round is tough, I wanted it to cook longer (four hours on high, to be exact) to become extra tender, so I threw in an extra half-cup of water, which gave me a delicious gravy-like sauce, but I lost the sheen. Well worth the sacrifice! The sesame and green onion give this a perfect finish. I served it with frozen jasmine rice from Trader Joe’s, a staple in my freezer. I couldn’t have asked for an easier or more worthwhile recipe for an otherwise frustrating cut of meat! Thank you! I can’t wait to freeze the rest and see how it thaws out; I anticipate great things.

28. Genevieve Gravel says:

I felt I was getting diabetes eating this, and I cut half the sugar out of the recipe. It has potential, but I’d for sure remove a lot of the sugar and perhaps add freshly grated ginger. The taste/ingredients is very similar to Mongolian beef.

29. We enjoyed this very much, having read the previous comments, I reduced the sugar to 1/4 C, felt it maybe needed a little more than that, also I stirred it a few times over the cooking time (approx 4 hours) and this may be the answer to others “goo” problems? I would say this recipe is very much a personal taste thing, needing adjustment for individual preferences, and I will definitely cook this again and tweak a little, thanks for this recipe

30. Pinned! This looks so simple and delicious!! (and your photos are extraordinary!!) thanks!

31. Picture is amazing and encourage me to try it. I follow the recipe to a “T” but it’s to clummy and thick. I think it’s better to omit the 1/4 cup of corn starch to coat the beef but rather add 2 tbsp of corn starch with water at the end to thicken the sauce.