Hey, hey everybody! It’s Liz from Love Grows Wild, and I’m thrilled to be back sharing another delicious recipe with you! Today, my friends, is all about comfort food. It’s all I can think about now that the weather is cooling off, and today I’m sharing with you one of my favorites: Chicken and Dumplings! This scrumptious one-pot meal is full of creamy chicken and veggies and sure to become one of your favorites too!
I’ve been making all kinds of comfort food recipes lately, especially my White Cheddar Cauliflower Soup, but this chicken dish is my go-to when I want something simple, tasty, and of course, comforting! It has all the components of a great chicken pot pie, but instead of a flaky pie crust on the outside, it has soft, moist, absolutely delicious dumplings!
The dumplings cook right in the middle of all those yummy veggies making this a fantastic one-pot meal. Gosh, I just love recipes like that! Less dishes to wash makes for a very happy Liz! Wouldn’t you agree?
I like to cut up a rotisserie chicken that I picked up from the store to save me a bit of time and effort. And you can chop your veggies ahead of time too, so when it’s time to pull dinner together you can have it ready in a snap! If you’ve never made chicken and dumplings before you simply MUST give this recipe a try! You’ll love this comfort food classic!
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Comfort food at it's finest with this easy and delicious family friendly meal!
Author: Liz at Love Grows Wild
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced medium
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- ⅓ pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dumplings:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup whole milk
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, green beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, make the dumplings by mixing together the flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and fresh parsley. Cut in butter until evenly distributed throughout the flour and stir in milk. Drop heaping spoonfuls of dumpling batter on top of chicken mixture. Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes. Garnish with additional chopped parsley before serving.
You can also connect with Love Grows Wild here: