This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Chicken and Dumpling Recipe
Bring a comforting meal to the table and gather your family around with this easy to make chicken and dumpling recipe. It is warm, thick and pure comfort and just what a family needs to stick together. I love the smell of all the seasonings over top the chicken and vegetables. The dumplings are made from scratch and add that bread like dough filling to the chicken. Creamy, chicken and vegetables with dumplings over top makes these the perfect family meal, for sure!
When I make this meal my kids are thrilled beyond measure and can’t wait for such a great meal to come home to after school. During the week is our favorite time to make this. It is simple and easy to make. It comes together in less than an hour and makes for the best family meal. Chicken and dumplings is paired together perfectly and has the perfect combination of chicken, fresh vegetables and dumplings within the meal. Make this complete meal all in one pot today!
What are Chicken and Dumplings?
I’ve been making all kinds of comfort food recipes lately but this chicken dish is my go-to when I want something simple, tasty, and of course, comforting! It has all the components of a great chicken pot pie, but instead of a flaky pie crust on the outside, it has soft, moist, absolutely delicious dumplings!
The dumplings cook right in the middle of all those yummy veggies making this a fantastic one-pot meal. Gosh, I just love recipes like that! Less dishes to wash makes for a very happy Liz! Wouldn’t you agree?
What do you Need to Make Chicken and Dumplings?
This delicious recipe calls only for the best ingredients. All the different vegetables, herbs, and spices are what make this meal memorable. Remember all the exact measurements are included at the bottom to help you create this easy and tasty cuisine.
- Yellow Onion- can use a sweet onion if needed
- Celery- adds a fresh taste and crunch
- Carrots- excellent source of fiber and flavor
- Unsalted butter- I normally use unsalted butter but salted will work too
- All-purpose flour- this helps thicken the broth as well as the dumplings
- Chicken broth- helps tie everything together
- Cooked chicken- make sure the chicken is already cooked prior to starting this recipe
- Green beans- adds nutrition and flavor
- Salt and pepper- of course to taste
- Baking powder- key to achieving the perfect dumpling mixture
- Coarse salt- a little goes a long way
- Fresh parsley- adding this fresh herb will make all the difference and bring out the flavors
- Whole milk- I use whole milk but you can switch it for a plant based milk if needed.
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings:
Easy is just what this chicken and dumplings recipe is all about. People are sometimes hesitant to rely on a homemade recipe from scratch. However, when you taste it you will be amazed at how something so simple to make is extremely delicious as well as nutritious.
This is one of those meals that takes little preparation but can fill a family. These steps will help you create this dish in no time. And as always, the exact measurements needed are included in the recipe at the very bottom!
- Sauté vegetables: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Bring to a boil: Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken and green beans: Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, green beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the dumplings: In a large bowl, make the dumplings by mixing together the flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and fresh parsley. Cut in butter until evenly distributed throughout the flour and stir in milk. Drop heaping spoonfuls of dumpling batter on top of chicken mixture.
- Simmer: Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes. Garnish with additional chopped parsley before serving.
How Many Servings Does this Recipe Yield?
This recipe yields about 6 servings. It is perfect for weeknight dinners when you do not have a lot of time to prepare something , but still want to fill up on something tasty and nutritious.
What Can you Pair with Chicken and Dumplings?
When it comes to dumplings, it already does incorporate a lot of different fresh vegetables in the mix, so you are getting a variety with this all in one dish. You could always go for a side salad that has fresh fruit or vegetables in it. There is a wider variety of vegetables to choose from so you could steam a couple of your favorite on the side.
Different variations of potatoes such as mashed or baked potatoes could compliment it. Another possible option is garlic bread. I have found that cooking some rice such as jasmine rice is a good side to serve with it as well!
Tips and Tricks for Making Chicken Dumplings:
I personally like to cut up a rotisserie chicken that I picked up from the store to save me a bit of time and effort. And you can also chop your veggies ahead of time too, so when it’s time to pull dinner together you can have it ready in a snap!
If for some crazy reason you happen to have leftovers you are able to store this in the fridge for an additional 1-2 days. If you’ve never made chicken and dumplings before you simply MUST give this recipe a try! You’ll love this comfort food classic!
Here Are More Delicious Chicken Recipes to Try:
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Chicken and Dumplings
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, green beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, make the dumplings by mixing together the flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and fresh parsley. Cut in butter until evenly distributed throughout the flour and stir in milk. Drop heaping spoonfuls of dumpling batter on top of chicken mixture.
- Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes. Garnish with additional chopped parsley before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.