Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread is a delicious healthier twist to a fall classic. Pumpkin and Cream Cheese were made to go together and putting them in bread form, just made it heavenly. This is one of those recipes that gives you all the flavor, richness and creaminess without all the guilt. Pumpkin season here we come!
Like I said, pumpkin and cream cheese were made to go together, don’t believe me? Try any of these other recipes and then see what I mean! Pumpkin Cream Cheese Truffles, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Snickerdoodles and Incredible Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Whipping Cream.
Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
I have a weakness for bread. And bread is one of the worst things for you and so high in carbs. This bread turned out fantastic for being lower in calories! But is it any good? It is delicious! And you would never know that you use applesauce and wheat flour in it. It didn’t last long in our house, it was too yummy!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread Ingredients
A few special ingredients give this it’s incredible taste without all the calories.
- Pureed pumpkin: Not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Gives sweetness and moisture
- Egg: 1 large whole egg
- Egg Whites: Helps create rise and lightness
- Flour: All purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour: Adds fiber and protein
- Stevia or another sweetener: Use a cup for cup sweetener
- Sugar: Still need some sugar to create consistency
- Baking Soda: Gives the bread rise
- Cinnamon/Nutmeg: Must have spices with pumpkin
- Reduced Fat Cream Cheese: Using low fat reduces calories without compromising creaminess
- Sugar: Helps create a bit of sweetness
- Flour Gives it structure
- Egg Whites: Helps to stabilize the cream cheese for cooking
- Vanilla: Flavor enhancer
Making Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
A little bit of time is all it takes for this scrumptious bread. It’s so super easy to through together!
- Batter: With an electric mixer beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg and egg whites till nice and smooth
- Dry: In a separate bowl combine the flour, Stevia, sugar, baking soda and spices.
- Mix: Gently fold in the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, till thoroughly combined.
- Cream Cheese: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg whites and flour till creamy and smooth.
- Layer: In two greased 8x4x2 loaf pans divide half of the batter into each. Divide the cream cheese filling between the two and smooth with the back of a spoon. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake: Bake for 40 min in a 350 degree oven or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips and Variations
There isn’t much to add to this amazing pumpkin cream cheese bread recipe but here are a few suggestions.
- Spice: If you like a lot of flavor, double the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Toppings: If you want to add some crunch you can top your bread with pumpkin seeds, or other nuts. If you don’t care about the calories make a crumb topping to go on top.
- Layering: Don’t stress too much if you don’t cover all the cream cheese. It’ll still cook up beautifully.
- Sugar alternatives: I really like the way Stevia bakes up, splenda is another one that does really well in baking. Experiment with your favorite alternative but be sure to do your homework and get the quantities correct. And remember using certain alternatives can change the consistency of the batter and so cooking times and results will vary.
Storing Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
Storing it correctly will keep this bread delicious for a longer time
- Fridge: Because of the cream cheese in the bread you will need to keep the bread in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will keep for 3-4 days this way.
- Freeze: Eat a loaf and safe one for later! Wrap in plastic wrap tightly then place in a freezer bag or container. It will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge when ready to enjoy.
More Skinny Recipes to Get Excited About
Because good for you food shouldn’t have to compromise on taste!
- Skinny Fettuccine Garlic Alfredo
- Skinny Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
- Skinny Cookies ‘n Cream Chocolate Cake
- Skinny Three Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Skinny Taco Soup
Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
- 1-1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Stevia Cup For Cup sweetener
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon½ t. ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Batter: With an electric mixer, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, and egg whites on medium speed until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, Stevia, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- For the cream cheese filling: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg whites and flour until creamy and smooth.
- Grease (2) 8x4x2″ loaf pans. Divide half of the batter between the two pans. Pour half of the filling in one pan and the other half in the second pan and smooth with the back of a spoon. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Don’t overbake or your bread will be dry on the edges. Cool and remove from pans. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.