Easy 5 Minute Avocado Toast is a toasted grain bread with ripe mashed avocados with variations of toppings to make each avocado toast unique and flavorful depending on the time of day. Perfect for a quick breakfast, light lunch or snack!
Avocados are a healthy and delicious. If you love avocados like we do try this Avocado, Tomato and Cucumber Arugula Salad, Avocado Shrimp Ceviche or Avocado Chicken Salad.
Avocado toast is an open faced sandwich or bread that is toasted just enough to be a crispy outside and golden brown inside.
Mashed or thinly sliced avocados are mixed with seasonings and layered on top of the toast.
Many variations can be made on top of the avocado toast.
Additional ingredients and toppings enhances the flavor over top of the toasted bread.
These additional flavors bring out the best in this avocado toast recipe.
When you are on the go or need a light and healthy snack these are quick and simple to make with all the flavor!
How to choose an Avocado:
It is best to use ripe avocados for this recipe.
If the avocados are still firm or hard to the touch, the avocado may not have the right flavoring or texture that tastes best.
Simply remove the pit by using a paring knife and twisting. The pit will easily turn and grip onto the knife while being removed.
Once the pit is removed, slice the avocado and carefully remove it from its outer shell.
Then thinly slice it or add it to a bowl to be mashed together.
What you need to make the Avocado Toast:
A thick and sturdy type of bread is best.
Whole grain is best for more nutrition and a healthier bread.
This will make your tastebuds go crazy!!
Golden toasted bread has a crisp texture with a creamy avocado is the perfect combination.
Top this with the everything bagel seasoning over top and you have the BEST avocado toast recipe!
- Bread: whole grain is best
- Avocados: soft and ripe, ready to be cut and sliced.
- Lemon Juice: for zest and to keep the avocado green.
- Red Onion: chopped and diced up.
- Garlic Powder: for added flavoring.
- Salt and Pepper: to taste!
How to make Avocado Toast:
Mashed avocado has a more creamier and elegant spread over top compared to the sliced avocado.
Simply cut in half and remove the pit, then add your avocados to a bowl.
It is best to mash the avocados one at a time with a fork.
Be ready to overwhelm your tastebuds with this tried and true avocado toast!
- Toast bread: Toast the slices of bread until golden.
- Mix avocados base: In a medium sized mixing bowl, Add the avocados to the bowl and mash to desired consistency with a fork. Add in the lemon juice, red onion, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread overtop of toast: Spread the avocado mixture on top of the toasted bread and top with your favorite garnishes.
Tips for making Avocado Toast:
- Avocados: ripe avocados are best! This will ensure a softer mash as well as more flavorful avocado.
- Serve Immediately: Once you have mixed the avocado, it is best to spread and enjoy right away. After time, the avocado will begin to turn a brown color.
- Making it ahead of time: If you are in need of making your avocado mixture ahead of time, add in a very thin layer of lemon juice overtop to help slow down the browning process. When ready to serve, stir together the lemon juice and avocado mixture.
- Doubler the recipe: Don’t be afraid to double this recipe when serving a group of people or having it for appetizers.
- Add in Garlic: For more of a garlic flavor, rub a raw garlic clove that is peeled over top of each slice of toast before spreading the avocado mixture.
Variations of Avocado Toast:
Mix and match your avocado toast just the way you love it!
It is perfect for making in the early mornings, a light lunch or a quick snack.
This avocado toast recipe is so simple to make and comes together in minutes!
- Grains: The bread should be thick and crunchy once toasted. Sourdough, five grain bread, multigrain, rye or French bread works well.
- Vegetables: Sliced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, lettuce, reddish, cucumbers, sliced celery are crunchy and delicious.
- Spice: Add a little hit with pico de Gallo, paprika, red pepper flakes, jalapeños or cayenne pepper to the avocado mixture.
- Protein: Eggs, salmon, shrimp, ham, bacon or sliced meat taste great on top.
- Cheese: Mozzarella balls or feta cheese are the perfect blend.
- Leafy herbs: Fresh basil, cilantro, dill or parsley bring in more flavor.
- Seasoning: Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning overtop for all the delicious seeds that add just the right flavoring.
More Tasty Avocado Recipes:
- Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados
- Chicken Enchiladas with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Blackened Chicken Avocado Power Bowls
- Awesome Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- Grilled Garlic Herb Flank Steak with Avocado Corn Salsa
Easy 5 Minute Avocado Toast
- 4-6 slices bread
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons red onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Toast the slices of bread until golden. In a medium sized mixing bowl, Add the avocados to the bowl and mash to desired consistency with a fork. Add in the lemon juice, red onion, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the avocado mixture on top of the toasted bread and top with your favorite garnishes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I use a potatoes masher to mash avocados. Easy peasy.