Black bean soup is easy to make, delicious, and healthy. It’s made with kitchen-staples like cans of black beans, carrots, onions, and spices so you can make this recipe anytime you’re craving Tex-Mex flavors.
A side of Bread is perfect for dunking in this tasty soup. And if you love black beans, also check out this Black Bean and Corn Salad.
Quick and Easy Black Bean Soup
We love this recipe as it’s flavorful and super easy to make. You and your family can be sitting down to a healthy dinner in just 25 minutes. It doesn’t get better than that!
Most black bean soup recipes call for vegetable stock. While you can definitely do that if you want a vegetarian soup, we love to use beef broth. The flavor works really well in this recipe and makes the soup richer tasting. And while we usually use canned black beans, you can also make Black Beans in the instant pot for an even more budget-friendly meal.
How to Make Black Bean Soup
Making black bean soup is so easy! Here’s how you’ll do it:
- Sauté the veggies: onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and bell pepper.
- Now add the spices and stock to the pot.
- After you drain and rinse the beans, add ¾ of them to the pot. The rest get blended with a little soup stock before getting added to the pot. The blended beans give the soup a wonderful texture.
Easy Black Bean Soup Variations
- Stock: Make this a vegetarian black bean soup by using vegetable stock.
- Corn: Add some frozen corn at the end of cooking
- Tomatoes: Use fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Add Some Spice! Use a minced jalapeño to make it spicy.
Best Soup Toppings!
We love soup toppings! Some of our favorites that go well with this soup are:
- Tortilla chips (pictured are RiceWorks Sweet Chili Chips)
- A dollop of sour cream
- Some grated cheddar cheese
- A squeeze of lime juice (this really adds a nice flavor to the soup)
- Minced cilantro
- Sliced or diced avocado
Popular Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas Soup)
Black Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 4 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- lime juice
- tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until the onion is transparent. Add the carrots, celery, and red pepper to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano, chili flakes (if using), and stock to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- While the soup comes to a boil, drain and rinse the cans of beans. Add 3 cans (or ¾ of the beans if you rinsed them together) to the pot. Add the remaining beans to your blender. Add a couple of scoops of the soup to the blender and blend on high until the beans are smooth. Pour them back into the pot.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper then serve with any or all of the optional toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
We’ve made a bunch of your recipes now and have yet to be disappointed. Decided to try this one last night. It was a big hit and while we still have leftovers it’s already decided that this is going into the rotation that we make often.
Amazing soup! I added corn, so yummy!
great dish, I love black beans and all of these ingredients so thank you!