California Spaghetti Salad is a delicious pasta salad filled with fresh veggies and covered in a zesty Italian dressing. With all those flavors and colors making one beautiful and tasty side dish, there is no doubt this will be the hit of your next gathering!
I love delicious, cool salads in Spring and Summer like Creamy Pea, Cauliflower Broccoli, and Cucumber Tomato Salad. Enjoy your salad at your next BBQ!
Easy California Spaghetti Salad
As the weather begins to change and warm up in the Spring, I find myself looking for recipes with a fresher and lighter feel. I especially love quick and easy cold pasta salads! This one only took 15 minutes to make and it was amazing! It is vegan-friendly so it is great to bring to a potluck! It is also super versatile! Have fun choosing colorful, fresh fruits and veggies you love to add in! I sometimes swap out the olives for sun-dried tomatoes and I love it that way too!
You really can’t go wrong with this salad! It is great to make ahead because it tastes better as it sits. I love packing it for my kids in their lunches to change it up from sandwiches every day. We even love taking it on a picnic! It is such a treat! All of the amazing veggies packed inside add so much texture, flavor, and color to the pasta. The zesty Italian dressing coated throughout this pasta is so good. It is the perfect finishing touch to this pasta salad. It is easy to make at home and so incredible! I use it on tons of salads, not just this one! Trust me when I say that this California Spaghetti Salad will be a huge hit wherever it goes!
The Best California Spaghetti Salad Ingredients
- Spaghetti: Use thin linguine and break into 1-inch pieces to make it easier to eat.
- Cherry tomatoes: Chopped them in half to make them more bite-sized.
- Zucchini: Make sure you dice everything to similar sizes as much as possible.
- Cucumber: The cucumber gives this salad the fresh taste I love.
- Bell peppers: I used red and green but swap for yellow peppers if you prefer. Make this recipe your own!
- Red onion: If you don’t like biting into the raw onion, marinate them in the dressing first to lessen their strong flavor.
- Olives: The olives are very salty and delicious!
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Italian salad dressing: Use any Italian dressing you love because you are going to amp it up with all the other seasonings to create your own version of this staple dressing.
- Parmesan cheese: Grated and combined with the dressing to cover each part of the salad with its great nutty flavor.
- Sesame seeds: Add a rich, nutty flavor to the dressing.
- Paprika: Adds great color to this dressing.
- Celery seed: These little seeds pack all the powerful flavors of celery- earthy, grassy and slightly bitter- that balance out this dressing.
- Garlic powder: The extra garlic powder helps the flavor stay strong even when chilled.
How to Make Spaghetti Salad
- Cook the pasta: Make according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Combine all ingredients: Add cherry tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, green and red bell pepper, red onion and olives to the pasta in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together Italian salad dressing, Parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, paprika, celery seed, and garlic powder.
- Toss the salad in dressing: Pour dressing over salad and toss until coated. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
Tips for making the Perfect California Pasta Salad
- Vegetables: Get creative with this versatile dish and swap out vegetables. For example, try favorites like broccoli or yellow and orange bell peppers.
- Pasta: Use other pasta shapes. Some of my favorites like rotini or farfalle would work fantastic!
- Cooling Pasta:This pasta salad is best when it’s fresh out of the fridge. So, keep it cooling until right before serving.
- Make it Ahead: This is a great make-ahead recipe! It’s even better the next day, so I usually make it the day before and store it in the refrigerator overnight. This really gives all the flavors time to combine and soak into the pasta!
- Pasta Tip: After draining the salad, dunk the pasta in an ice bath (equal parts water and ice in a large bowl) to shock them. Then, your noodles will not soak up too much of the dressing and become gummy.
Best Places to Take California Spaghetti Salad Dish
- BBQ or Potluck: A cookout with friends and/or family. As the weather warms up, a cool salad is a perfect side!
- Family Gatherings: Family reunion in a pavilion by the river. This dish travels well, just keep it in the cooler until right before you serve.
- Work Lunch: Potluck at work. (Depending on where you work 🙂)
- Lunches! This salad keeps well in the fridge for 5 days so it is perfect for make-ahead weekly lunches!
California Spaghetti Salad
- 1 pound thin spaghetti broken into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes chopped in half
- 2 zucchini medium, diced
- 1 cucumber large, diced
- 1 green bell pepper medium, diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion large, diced
- 2 cans ripe olives 2-¼ ounces each sliced, drained
- 1 bottle Italian salad dressing 16 ounces
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain using a colander and rinse in cold water. Add cherry tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, green and red bell pepper, red onion and olives in a large bowl.
To make the dressing:
- Whisk together italian salad dressing, parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, paprika, celery seed, and garlic powder. Pour over salad and toss until coated. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Made this last night for supper. My daughter was home Vt. visiting and it was her last night. We invited her best friends over for a simple BBQ, just hot dogs and pasta salad. Everyone loved it! It is so LOADED with veggies… so GOOD!
Can I make this on friday to serve on sunday?
Yes! It lasts about 3-4 days in the fridge.
I love this recipe. I have made it twice and shared it with friends. Everyone loves it!
Thanks For Your Nice Post. Iam Really enjoyed to see the post.Thanks for Sharing the delicious recipe. Thanks Again.
Thanks For Your Nice Post. Iam Really enjoyed to see the post.Thanks for Sharing the delicious recipe.
Wow Just made this this morning for a picnic with my family. Amazing amazing flavor. I substituted cucumber for celery as the celery stays crunchy or longer and I find cucumbers go a bit mushy after a few hours. I also chopped in some fresh chives and parsley from the garden. Amazing tasty delicious summer salad enjoy
Great recipe! Made it for a family get -together! It took me longer than 15 minutes to prep, but I take my time with things. Thank you!!
Absolutely Delicious!!!! I make this weekly minus the pasta…. easy, cool and light.
Easy to make, refreshing when it’s hot outside! Tastes delicious. I added a little garlic pepper at the end!!
Add a little Genoa salami.
I used to make this all the time. Thanks for the reminder. Also I did not use the seeds, I love that idea. I am going to do that next time
This looks amazing and I’m looking forward to making it. Any suggestions on how to lower the sodium content to make this a more heart-healthy option? The 1243mg is half of the recommended daily allowance, and nearly an entire sodium allowance for those on a 1,400 mg for heart healthy diets.
To lower the sodium you can either eat less or find a different recipe!
Jane gave you a disrespectful answer. Make your own dressing with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Try a different cheese or leave that out. This salad is fast and easy and graciously accepts change.
Made this tonight family loved it
Husband bought fat free Italian dressing….Has anyone tried this before? It sounds gross to me lol
Do you cook the zucchini first? Thanks!
I usually use it raw but you are welcome to cook it before hand if you prefer it cooked in the salad. Either way is a great crunch and flavor with the soft noodles and other ingredients.
It is excellent just the way it is Alyssa !!! It was a perfect summer potluck dish that you didn’t have to worry about refrigeration. Great for work lunches too:)
I cook a lot and when searching for a new recipe I look for ingredients I know my family and friends will eat and enjoy.
I have a pet peeve and that is people that say they tried a particular recipe but yet they made so many changes to the ingredients that it is no longer the dish they are critiquing. California SPAGHETTI salad has spaghetti in it. It has Italian dressing not a dairy product added. Why make it at all if you changed it so much? Then look for a recipe that has the ingredients you have on hand or want to use.
I totally agree with Joy. Why change a recipe that is “tried and true” with so many different ideas and variations when you can make up your own recipe the way you like it? The addition of shellfish – shrimp or crabmeat – is a nice addition – if you want to serve it as a main dish instead of a salad side dish.
How about salami or pepperoni added to the salad
Yes! That sounds great and will add great flavor! Enjoy!
What about Olive Garden dressing if you’re really in a hurry
Yes, that sounds great too! That does add a great flavor to this recipe.
What about adding roasted chicken breast…shredded?and sunflower seeds instead of sesame?
Want to make for potluck tomorrow. Don’t have sesame seeds. Can use little Tahini paste instead or just leave out?
I would recommend leaving them out unless you have used Tahini paste before and know that it may alter the taste and texture a bit.