This Cheesy Zucchini Rice is ooey gooey and a divine comfort food that makes the best side to any meal. It is so cheesy and delicious and the best part is that it is hidden with zucchini! This will become a family favorite!
Cheesy Zucchini Rice
I love zucchini season. And I love that I have an over abundance in my backyard. And I especially love being able to sneak it into different recipes so that my kids will eat it. Like this one. We usually have rice for a side. So why not make it amazing by adding cheese and zucchini!?
We have now made this recipe 3 times since. I am telling you. It is one of the best sides that we have ever had! Everyone gobbled this down including the baby. You have got to put this on the must make zucchini recipe list. Everything about this is incredible. From the cheese loaded inside to the zucchini hidden throughout, the flavor is out of this world! It ends up being the star of the dinner table.
Cheesy Zucchini Rice Ingredients
Simple amazing ingredients for this quick side dish.
- Chicken Broth: Can substitute vegetable or beef broth, it will be a slightly different flavor but still amazing
- Rice: White long- grain rice is the what I used.
- Butter: Add richness to the dish
- Zucchini: Need about 2 cups grated which is about 2 medium sized zucchini.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Finely shredded
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste.
Making Zucchini Rice
Simple and decadent.
- Rice: In a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 min till liquid is gone.
- Add: Remove from heat and add the butter, zucchini and cheese. Stir and let stand for about 5 min. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Tips for Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- Rice: You can use different rice, such as jasmine or even brown or minute rice. Adjust your cooking times and adjust the broth according to your rice cook times and ratios.
- Hide: This is a great way to hide veggies, if you need to hide it better peel the zucchini first.
- Add ins: You can add spices to this recipe to your liking. Garlic, chili powder, paprika, basil and oregano. The possibilities are endless.
- Cheese: You can trade out the type of cheese for one that you’d prefer.
Storing Cheesy Rice
- Fridge: Store in a tightly covered dish in the fridge for 3-4 days. Leftovers will accumulate a bit more water as the zucchini softens and you recook it.
More Zucchini to Love
Zucchini goes with so many things and so versatile.
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Roasted Parmesan Garlic Zucchini Spears
- Cheesy Zucchini Fritters
- Crispy Parmesan Fried Zucchini
- Easy Delicious Shrimp Zucchini Boats
Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice long-grain
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 zucchini medium, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, zucchini, and cheese. Stir and let stand for about 5 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.