This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Fried tortilla chips drowning in salsa verde with your choice of toppings make this Chilaquiles recipe irresistible! Serve it with a fried egg and crema on top for a filling breakfast that is ready in minutes. You’ll come back to this recipe again and again!
I am a huge fan of quick and easy breakfasts. There is nothing like skipping breakfast that puts me on the wrong foot forward for the day. Since I also have 4 kids, I have to come up with a meal that will keep them full until lunch. That’s why I love this Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole and this easy and craveable Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake. If you are craving Mexican food for breakfast after this blog post, you’ll have to try these Amazing Breakfast Enchiladas.
What is Chilaquiles?
If you haven’t heard of Chilaquiles, you are in for a treat! This traditional Mexican breakfast is made up of tortilla chips, salsa verde, and a fried egg. It is so flavorful and filling. The best part is that it only takes 10 minutes to make, so it’s perfect for busy mornings. To really ramp up the flavor, you can make homemade tortilla chips and salsa verde. That is the traditional way to make it, and it definitely tastes the best. I know my kids look forward to this breakfast!
If you are stuck on repeat with pancakes, a side of scrambled eggs, or a quick oatmeal, then this is the perfect recipe for you! Breakfast looks and tastes very different in every culture. If you ever run out of ideas for things to whip up, there are tons of breakfast ideas on my website too!
All you really need are the first three ingredients. This dish is so simple and easy! But I recommend creme, cilantro and cheese because it really ramps up the flavor. You can also experiment with adding other toppings to make Chilaquiles your own style.
- Salsa Verde: I personally love homemade verde, but if you are going to buy it at the store, then Herdez is the best!
- Tortilla Chips: You can easily make your own tortilla chips from corn tortillas at home, or buy a bag from the store for a quick and easy version.
- Egg: I love a fried egg on top of Chilaquiles!
- Mexican Crema: This delicious Mexican Cream has a taste similar to sour cream and is perfect on top of Chilaquiles!
- Cilantro: This is an optional garnish on top, but I love the pop of color and flavor it adds. You could add whatever herbs you think would go well on this dish!
- Cotija Cheese: This is a delicious Mexican cheese that is similar to Feta. You’ll love it sprinkled on top!
How to Make Chilaquiles
They are so easy to make! All you need is one skillet and you’re ready to go. I can’t wait for you to taste it, and be blown away by Chilaquiles Verdes!
- Warm Salsa: Pour the salsa verde into a medium-sized pan and warm over the stove on medium heat.
- Add Chips: Add the chips on top of the sauce and slowly mix in to coat the chips.
- Fry Egg: Fry an egg and place it on top of the chilaquiles.
- Add Toppings: Garnish with toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Additions and Substitutions
You can easily make this recipe with things you already have on hand! It’s so fun to open the fridge and think about what you need to use up before it goes bad. Here are some suggestions for things you can add and change to make the best Chilaquiles ever!
- Substitute for Queso Fresco: If you don’t have Queso Fresco on hand, you can use sour cream instead.
- Add Veggies: You can easily add onion, avocado, tomatoes, chiles, peppers, or whatever else sounds yummy! Just add them on top when you are adding the other toppings, or warm them in the saucepan when you are warming the salsa.
- Substitutions for Cilantro: You can leave the cilantro off. It is mostly for flavor, but you can get great flavors without it. Some lime juice over the top would brighten it right up!
- Cheese Substitutions: You can use Feta, Parmesan, or Queso Fresco instead of Cotija if you would like to.
- Add a Protein: You can add chicken, pork, or beef on top of Chilquiles for a well-rounded and filling meal.
Storing Leftover Chilaquiles
Chilaquiles can make great leftovers, just follow these tips so you don’t end up with soggy tortilla chips!
- In the Refrigerator: Store your salsa verde in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store all of your other toppings that need refrigeration in the fridge.
- On the Counter: Store your tortilla chips in a paper or plastic bag on the counter. Homemade are best if eaten within a few days.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- Pour the salsa verde into a medium-sized skillet and warm over the stove on medium heat.
- Add the chips on top of the sauce and slowly mix in to coat the chips.
- Fry an egg and place it on top of the chilaquiles.
- Garnish with toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.