The last night we were in Hawaii, we went to the nicest restaurant at Turtle Bay. I wasn’t familiar with most of the items on the menu but this one really stood out to me. The restaurant used fresh caught sea bass rubbed in chili spices and crusted it in macadamia nuts. This one was a winner!
The last night was my absolute favorite night. It was so nice to be away in beautiful Hawaii with the hubby. It was so relaxing and we had the time of our lives. Our room was right on the beach with a hammock right outside. We would lay in the hammock right next to the ocean and relax under the stars. We even saw a shooting star! Doesn’t that sound like perfection?
I wanted to create the same flavor as the delicious fish that I had at the restaurant. It seemed pretty simple to make and the spices mixed with the sweet macadamia nut flavor was to die for. The great thing about fish is that it cooks so quickly. And when it is pan seared, it gives the fish a beautiful crust and amazing flavor!
- 4 Tilapia Fillets, or fish of choice
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- 1 T chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- In a food processor, pulse the macadamia nuts until fine but slightly coarse. In a small bowl, combine macadamia nuts, panko crumbs, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Dredge each tilapia fillet in the egg and coat in the macadamia spice panko mixture.
- Carefully place the tilapia fillet in the heated pan, and sear on each side 2-3 minutes or until brown on each side and cooked through.
More amazing recipes from Hawaii Week: