The last day in Hawaii was awesome! We got a couples massage and then everyone wanted to go to a shrimp shack…. again. I was hoping and praying that they had something else that was amazing besides shrimp. Yuck! As we got to the front to order I asked them if they had anything else that was amazing besides shrimp. They told me of these hamburger steaks that they make that are the best on the island and won an award! They started telling me the ingredients for their hamburger steak recipe and their secret was rosemary in the patties. I love rosemary so I couldn’t wait to give them a try!They were absolutely incredible and one of my favorite meals in Hawaii! I have made this recipe twice since being home and it makes the perfect weeknight meal! I got the recipe so close that my hubby said they tasted just like the real thing. I loved that this meal was made in one pan. Frying the patties in the pan gave it a delicious crust and the inside was so moist and packed with flavor. You could taste the delicious flavor of the rosemary inside and the gravy on top with caramelized onions completed it perfectly.
The last day was my favorite and our stay in Hawaii was a memorable one. We completed the stairway to Heaven which was one of the hardest but most rewarding things I will ever do in my life. 4,000 stairs up and 4,000 stairs down. You start the hike at 2 am and hike so high that you go above the clouds. The sunset was absolutely breathtaking and made the pain of that hike almost worth it. 🙂
Of course while you are in Hawaii you have to stop at the famous Matsumoto’s Shaved Ice. Weird but good. They add beans and ice cream to the shaved ice. We then ended the day at Turtle Beach which was so amazing. I was freaking out about how cool it was the entire time. Tons of sea turtles everywhere. Apparently they feed on that beach. It was so cool. It just completed the entire Hawaii trip making it an experience I will never forget!
How To Make Hamburger Steak (Hawaiian Style)
More amazing recipes from Hawaii Week:
Pineapple Cheesecake Dessert Bars
Chili Macadamia Crusted Tilapia
Hawaiian Hamburger Steaks
- 1 1/2 pound ground Hamburger Steak Meat
- 1/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 T fresh rosemary minced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce divided
- 1 onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 T ketchup
- 1 T cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine hamburger meat, italian bread crumbs, rosemary and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. Divide the meat into four and shape the patties into an oval shape.
- In a large skillet heat 2 T olive oil and 1 tsp butter over medium high heat. Add the patties to the skillet and fry them on each side until cooked through.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and set aside until ready to use. Add onions to the skillet and cook them over medium heat until they are caramelized. (clear and tender).
- Once onions are cooked, add beef broth, ketchup, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 T beef broth to make a thin paste and then whisk this into the beef broth gravy mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the patties back to the skillet with the gravy and heat through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, or over a bed of rice.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Is it one T Butter or one tsp. Butter? The Ingredients lists Tablespoon but the Instructions lists Teaspoon. Thank you!!!
Thank you for letting me know! I will fix that! It is 1 Tablespoon of butter. Hope that helps! You will love these burgers! XOXO
I just love how you let us into your memories of Hawaii , I also will be trying the hamburger steak. My pineapple whip did not come out so good, but I will try again, definitely with more patience . Thank You
This looked so yummy! I planned this dish as part of my weekly menu and they were such a hit with my fam, thank you!
Just had to tell you I made these for dinner last night! We LOVED them! My hubby is on the Paleo diet (he’s trying to be super healthy before the transplant) and so I thought these would be great. They totally were! I served them with a side of grilled peppers and rice. SO good! Thanks for a fab recipe!
Looks great! I am going to try this tonight. Thanks for sharing!
Also, I found you through Pinterst and love your site! Looking forward to more post.
These do look super yummy! Sounds like an awesome trip of a lifetime!