This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This chocolate chip banana cake has a moist crumb with the taste of real bananas in every bite. Covered in chocolate ganache this cake will be a hit every single time!
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
I see your banana cake and I raise you this incredibly moist chocolate chip banana cake which is loaded with chocolate chips in every single bite and topped with a silky smooth chocolate ganache. You won’t have to worry about storing it because every bite will be devoured!
Summer is just around the corner and with it comes picnics, barbecues and brunches. And I love to be able to take a cake that can feed a crowd. They look pretty and everyone gets a slice without having to bake multiple cakes or having to worry about how to transport them. The best part about this chocolate banana cake is that everything is done in one bowl – even the sifting of the dry ingredients! I’ll teach you how so that you only have one bowl to lick – I mean wash- at the end. I mean, isn’t cake batter the best part of baking a cake?
It’s important to use overripe bananas. The riper the banana the richer and more concentrated the flavor in this chocolate chip banana cake. So, next time you have a bunch of bananas sitting that look like they are past their expiration date, don’t throw them away. Bake cake instead. This cake is extremely versatile. You can add peanut butter chips to the batter (their saltiness and sweet flavor is amazing in this cake), or leave out any chips altogether if you like your cake with just bananas, add walnuts or other chopped nuts. Make this cake your own!
What is Banana Chocolate Chip Cake?
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake is the twist to regular banana bread that you did not know you needed. This rich dessert embodies all of your favorites, bananas and chocolate.
What You Need to Bake a Cake:
This recipe will change your outlook on banana bread forever. After you try this out you will always think of whipping up this delicious banana cake whenever you see your bananas getting a little too ripe! And as long as you have that main ingredient of bananas everything else is pretty common and easy to get to! So here is exactly what it will take to create this incredibly moist dessert.
- Bananas: Overripe or ripe bananas work, but for a sweeter flavor use overripe.
- Butter:Use unsalted at room temperature.
- Sugar: The sugar adds an extra sweetness to the cake.
- Brown Sugar: Packed into measuring cup for accurate measurement.
- Eggs: Allow eggs to come to room temperature before mixing in.
- Vanilla Extract: The warm vanilla flavor gives this cake great depth.
- Greek Yogurt: The acidity of the yogurt helps activate baking soda, which makes the cake fluffy and light.
- All-Purpose Flour: All purpose flour will give this cake its structure.
- Baking Powder: The baking powder is a leavening agent that cause the cake to rise.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda keeps the cake moist.
- Cinnamon: This woody spice gives a sweet and also savory flavor to the cake.
- Salt: Salt perks up the depth and complexity of other flavors as the ingredients meld.
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips: Semisweet chocolate chips are right in between dark and milk chocolates in texture and sweetness.
For the Ganache:
- Chocolate Chips: Use the best chocolate you can find for the best flavor. Mix with warm cream until smooth and shiny.
- Heavy Cream: The warm heavy cream will make the melted chocolate extra creamy and sweet!
Let’s Bake a Cake!
Baking has always been a favorite hobby if not a pastime. Finding myself bored is always a good excuse to whip something up, especially this rich dessert. I mean it has bananas in it so it is good for you right?? Well it sure tastes good so that counts for something. Here is how you can throw this together in no time for your family, friends, or lets be honest, even just for yourself!
- Preheat and Prep: Set the oven to 350. Grease and line a 9X13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Peel and mash the bananas: Remove the peel and add them to a large bowl. Use a fork to lightly mash the bananas.
- Combine ingredients: Add butter and sugar to the bowl and lightly beat with a hand mixer till light and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat till combined. Pour in the greek yogurt and beat the mixture. It’ll start looking a little grainy but don’t worry everything will come together.
- Mix in dry ingredients: Place a sieve on top of the bowl and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Sieve it into the bowl, and mix the entire mixture with a spatula till just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 50 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
How to Make the Ganache:
Consisting of a moist and chocolatey cake with the sweet flavor of bananas that is topped off with a thick layer of a creamy chocolate frosting puts this cake at the top of your dessert choices.
- Make Ganashe: Heat the heavy cream for a minute or so in the microwave till hot but not boiling. Pour it over the chocolate chips and let it sit for a minute. Whisk the chocolate and cream together till smooth.
- Pour ganashe over the cake: Pour ganashe over the cake and spread it evenly on the banana cake.
- Storing: Refrigerate till ready to serve. If the cake is cold, let it sit outside for 15 minutes to let it come to room temperature before serving.
How Do You Store Banana Chocolate Chip Cake:
With a dessert this good, the chances are there probably won’t be any leftovers. But in the case that there are leftovers, there are a couple of options you have for storing it. You will want to place them in an airtight container and you can choose to store it at room temperature, however personally I prefer storing them in the fridge. There is just something about banana desserts that make me like having them chilled a little!
Try These Cake Recipes Too:
- Chocolate Lava Cake
- Awesome German Chocolate Cake
- No Bake Chocolate Eclair Dessert
- Banana Pudding Bundt Cake with White Chocolate Ganache
- Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- 9x13 inch Baking Pan
- Hand Mixer
- 3 large overripe ripe Bananas
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 3 large Eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Greek Yogurt at room temperature
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons semi sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and line a 9X13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Peel the bananas and add them to a large bowl. Use a fork to lightly mash the bananas.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl and lightly beat with a hand mixer till light and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat till combined.
- Pour in the greek yogurt and beat the mixture. It'll start looking a little grainy but don't worry everything will come together.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 50 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat the heavy cream for a minute or so in the microwave till hot but not boiling. Pour it over the chocolate chips and let it sit for a minute. Whisk the chocolate and cream together till smooth.
- Pour it over the cake and spread it evenly on the cake. Refrigerate till ready to serve. If the cake is cold, let it sit outside for 15 minute to let it come to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.