Classic Baked Spaghetti is the delicious casserole version of the traditional pasta and meat sauce. With multiple layers of cheesy buttered noodles, melted mozzarella cheese, and onion beef sauce you’ll want to make this a new family favorite.
If you’re looking to add more pasta casseroles to your collection then try out this Chicken Parmesan Casserole, or this Cheesy Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti Casserole. Don’t miss this similar version of Baked Cream Cheese Spaghetti Casserole either.
Classic Baked Spaghetti
Whether you’re hitting up a pot luck luncheon or in need a casserole to feed the entire family this classic baked spaghetti is always a favorite option. Simple and satisfying are the main qualities of this classic comfort meal that boast a large number of servings.
With simple no-fuss ingredients such as spaghetti, pasta sauce, and cheese you’ll find this easy to prepare dish is one everybody will love.
How to Make Baked Spaghetti
There are three main steps to the assembly and prep of this classic baked spaghetti starting with the prep of the noodles. Cook them according to the package directions, and once you’ve drained them you’ll toss them with the butter, parmesan cheese, and egg mixture.
As the noodles are cooking prepare the meat sauce layer by browning the meat and onions and then stirring in the pasta sauce.
Layer it all together starting with the noodles, then the cottage cheese. Place the meat sauce on top and sprinkle with mozzarella. Repeat! Bake it all together and you’ve got one delicious meal that will last for days.
Which Cheeses to Choose?
As with most casserole recipes, there are several ingredients that are optional or interchangeable. There is no hard line on the types of cheese you choose for your baked spaghetti, however, one that melts easily is mostly usually your best option. Cheeses such as mozzarella and cheddar are my personal favorites.
The cottage cheese layer can also be swapped for ricotta cheese or changed entirely to something like a parmesan. Use your favorite types of cheese and you’ll be happily satisfied.
What to Serve with Baked Spaghetti?
The casserole itself can be considered a complete meal, however, if you’re looking to diversify your dish a bit then you can certainly add some flair with side dishes. Bread or rolls, such as these easy parmesan knots are an obvious choice, but if you’re looking for a healthier option try a salad such as this grilled caesar salad.
Looking for More Easy Casseroles? Try these…
Classic Baked Spaghetti
- 16 ounces Spaghetti Noodles 1 package
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 24 ounce Pasta Sauce Jar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 5 tablespoons Butter melted
- 2 cups Cottage Cheese
- 4 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Basil chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the spaghetti noodles in boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef and chopped onion over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain and remove from heat. Season with salt and stir in the pasta sauce; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, parmesan cheese, and melted butter together in a large bowl. Add the spaghetti to the mixture and toss to coat.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish with oil and place half of the spaghetti on the bottom. Layer 1 cup of the cottage cheese on top of the noodles and then place ½ of the meat sauce on top. Sprinkle 2 cups of mozzarella cheese on top and repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients. Cover with foil and place the dish in the oven to bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes more.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.