This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Coca Cola cake is an easy-to-make chocolate cake, topped with pecans and ooey-gooey chocolate frosting. It is so easy and absolutely delicious, you are going to love this cake and its subtle soda flavor!
Amazing Coca Cola Cake Recipe
What is better than moist chocolate cake, a buttery, rich frosting with pecans, and the irresistible sweet bubbliness of Coke? A combination of all three, of course! This Coca Cola cake is so decadent and moist, I have to keep myself from drooling as I write this! Using soda in cake really is a game-changer. Not only does it add subtle hints of flavor, but replaces eggs in your cake batter and adds fluffiness with the carbonation! I love multi-purpose ingredients- and cooking with coke has shown me time and time again that it is the MVP of secret ingredients. Just look at the way it enhances cherry jello poke cake or even meat-based dishes like pulled pork barbacoa.
So, next time you are at the store wondering whether or not to get Coke… remember it is a super versatile ingredient in your cooking arsenal and can transform so many types of dishes! You are going to love this Coca Cola cake and how insanely easy it is to make. The moist, fluffy texture of the cake, homemade frosting, and subtle hints of cola will have your friends and family wanting more.
Easy Coca Cola Chocolate Cake Ingredients
The best part about this Coca Cola cake recipe is that you don’t need any complicated ingredients to put it together. Just pantry staples! As always, individual measurements of each ingredient can be found in the recipe card below.
- All-Purpose Flour: For structure. Using all-purpose flour keeps your cakes light and fluffy.
- Granulated Sugar: For sweetness. Melds ingredients together when baked.
- Baking Soda: Keeps your cake from becoming dense.
- Salt: To enhance flavor.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is the best!
- Cocoa Powder: Unsweetened.
- Buttermilk: Keeps your cake moist and rich. Make yours at home with my simple 2-ingredient recipe!
- Vegetable Oil: For moisture.
- Coca-Cola: The secret ingredient! Makes your cake light and fluffy and adds the perfect touch of sweetness.
Chocolate Coca Cola Frosting
- Coca Cola: More Coca Cola for even more flavor in the frosting.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds richness and flavor to your frosting.
- Cocoa Powder: Unsweetened.
- Powdered Sugar: For sweetness, also keeps your frosting smooth.
- Vanilla: To enhance flavor. Pure vanilla extract works best!
- Salt: For flavor.
- Chopped Pecans or Walnuts: Optional, for a delicious touch of nuttiness.
How to Make Coca-Cola Cake
Making this recipe is just as easy as using boxed cake, but tastes out of this world! The Coca Cola really adds so much to this cake.
- Preheat and Prep Pan: Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 pan with pan spray and set aside.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Cook Remaining Ingredients Together: In a medium sauce pan add the butter, cocoa powder, and coke and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and pour in with the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Bake: Pour into the prepared 9×13 pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool while the frosting is prepared.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Frosting
This chocolate frosting is thin but full of flavor! It is poured right over the cooled Coca Cola cake.
- Boil: In the same sauce pan that was used for the cake batter, add the butter cocoa powder and coca cola. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Mix in Dry Ingredients: Remove from the heat and pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour over the top of the warm cake. Sprinkle chopped nuts, if desired.
The Best Coca Cola Cake Making Tips
Get the most delicious result out of your Coca Cola cake! Add texture, flavor and so much more with these great tips.
- Using Diet Coke: You can easily substitute Coca-Cola for Diet Coke or Coke Zero Sugar for the same great taste but minus the sugar.
- Other Sodas: Dr. Pepper and root beer work great in cakes, too. It just depends on what flavor you like best! You could also try adding Cherry Coke for a slightly fruity finish to your cake.
- Toppings: I love adding walnuts and pecans to this cake. Make a turtle version by drizzling homemade caramel sauce on top!
- Adding Marshmallows: You can try a more traditional version of this cake by adding marshmallows on top of your batter before baking. You get an added layer of sweet, melty goodness!
Storing Leftover Cake
Coca Cola cake is best stored at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap for up to 4 days! Store leftover Coca-Cola Cake in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight before serving.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Coca Cola Cake
Coca Cola Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 pan with pan spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sauce pan add the butter, cocoa powder, buttermilk, vegetable oil and coke and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and pour in with the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour into the prepared 9×13 pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool while the frosting is prepared.
- In the same sauce pan that was used for the cake batter, add the butter cocoa powder and coca cola. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour over the top of the warm cake. Sprinkle chopped nuts, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.