This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Creamed Spinach made with tons of fresh spinach and a heavenly creamy garlic parmesan sauce is the perfect easy side dish recipe!
CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE
Hey there! It’s Krissy from Self Proclaimed Foodie and Ten Acre Baker.
I’m one of those weird people who’ve loved spinach my entire life. I could seriously eat an entire pound of steamed spinach as long as there’s a bit of butter and salt to go along with it! Whether you’re enjoying wilted garlic spinach, a tasty spinach artichoke dip, or this amazing creamed spinach, you simply can’t beat how easy it is to cook with this dark leafy green vegetable.
There are a lot of creamed spinach recipes out there, but I can assure you that this tried and tested recipe is simply the best. It won’t disappoint and even people who say they don’t like spinach end up loving this recipe.
How to make creamed spinach:
This recipe uses fresh spinach. My preference is to buy a big bag of pre-washed baby spinach. It might look like a lot, but it wilts down to practically nothing.
- First step is to quickly blanch the spinach. You do this by dropping it into a small amount of boiling water and steaming it. It will take less than a minute. Then you’ll want to immediately put the wilted spinach into a bowl of ice water. This will make it incredibly vibrant green.
- Next you’ll make the cream sauce. This starts with some sauteed shallots and garlic. To that you’ll add some flour to brown for the roux. You’ll then add some milk to make the sauce. At the very end, you’ll add the grated parmesan cheese.
- After you’ve squeezed out as much liquid as possible from the spinach, you’ll stir it into the cream sauce. At this point I like to add in an extra handful of fresh spinach. You’ll love the contrast in texture between the fresh and blanched spinach.
- To serve, a dusting of white pepper and freshly grated nutmeg takes this recipe over the top!
Want to make this recipe ahead of time?
Since creamed spinach really only takes minutes to make, I highly recommend serving it right after you make it.
It does reheat well, though. If you need to make this ahead of time or end up with leftovers, you can easily reheat in the microwave on 50% power. Because this recipe has a delicate cream sauce, you don’t want to reheat it at full power.
Want to make a keto version of creamed spinach?
You can easily substitute the milk with heavy cream. It will make the sauce thicker but will add more fat.
That easy substitution would make this creamed spinach perfect for those following a low carb high fat keto diet.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- In a medium saucepan, boil about a half inch of water. Add 16 ounces of the spinach and cover. Allow to cook only until all the spinach has wilted, about a minute, then transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain the spinach and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, melt the butter and cook the shallots until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for another minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the flour, stir, and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan. Add the cooked spinach. Add the remaining 4oz of fresh spinach and stir just until that wilts. Season with white pepper, nutmeg, and salt. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.