Creamy Parmesan Garlic Brussels Sprouts are sautéed in a rich, thick and creamy parmesan sauce with minced garlic cooked until soft and tender. These make the perfect side dish!
Brussel sprouts have become a favorite side dish for us! If you love Brussel sprouts try this Roasted Maple Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Apple Bacon Brussel Sprouts Salad or Maple Roasted Brussels sprouts and Butternut Squash.
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Brussels Sprouts
I know what you are thinking… Brussel sprouts! No way!
You are in luck. These are one of the most creamiest, delicate and flavorful Brussel sprouts you will ever eat.
There is so much flavor in the creamy sauce you will be impressed!
These creamy parmesan garlic Brussels sprouts are so simple to make and add so much to your dinner.
We love to make these part of every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.
Easy to make and the bright green color adds a pop at the table.
You will be sure to please all your friends and family.
There won’t be any leftovers with this tried and true combination!
Are Brussel sprouts good for you?
Yes! Brussel sprouts are healthy and good for you! They are in the same class of vegetables as cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli.
Folate, Manganese, Vitamin C and Vitamin K are some of the nutrients that Brussel sprouts benefit from.
They also contain fiber and antioxidants. Which help your body all over.
When thinking of the second helping, don’t think twice, you body will be thanking you for another bite!
What you need to cook parmesan garlic Brussel sprouts
Simple ingredients for a simple side dish!
You won’t believe all the flavor these Brussel sprouts have to offer.
Picking Brussel sprouts are an easy task and then adding a couple ingredients to get started is simple.
Next, the creamy sauce is all you need to take these Brussel sprouts to the next level.
- Brussel sprouts: washed and cut in half.
- Olive oil: helps to sauté a little before adding the cream sauce ingredients.
- Garlic: minced garlic adds a little hint of garlic flavor over the Brussel sprouts.
- Chicken broth: for flavor and adding flavored liquid to cook the Brussel sprouts in.
- Heavy cream: rich and creamy sauce for flavoring.
- Cornstarch: is used for creating a thicker sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: grated and fresh is best!
- Italian seasoning: add a hint of Italian flavoring.
- Salt and pepper: just a pinch!
How to prepare Brussel Sprouts
When picking out the perfect bag of Brussel sprouts look for tightly packed Brussel sprouts with no loose leaves on them.
Try to avoid picking yellow leaves and mushy Brussel sprouts.
Smaller Brussel sprouts are best instead larger ones for quicker cooking times.
Some Brussel sprouts say they already are washed but it is always good practice to wash all vegetables before cooking.
Cutting each Brussel sprout in half the long way will help get a nice sear on the Brussel sprouts plus cooking them evenly.
- Picking Brussel sprouts: small and tightly packed Brussel sprouts are best. Avoid any black or yellow Brussel sprout leaves. These are damaged and moldy Brussel sprouts that you will want to avoid.
- Washing brussel sprouts: thoroughly wash your Brussel sprouts. Gently pat them dry before cutting.
- Cutting Brussel sprouts: cut off the ends and remove any outer leaves that are broken or damaged. Cut each Brussel sprout in half the long way. This will help them cook more evenly.
How to cook parmesan garlic Brussel sprouts
- Sauté Brussel sprouts: In a medium sized skillet add the brussels sprouts, olive oil and garlic. Sauté until almost tender about 5-7 minutes. Remove the Brussels sprouts and set aside.
- Making creamy sauce: Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, and cornstarch and whisk together until smooth. Add the Parmesan Cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Mix together: Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat in the creamy sauce until heated through.
What to serve with parmesan garlic Brussel sprouts
Creamy parmesan garlic brussel sprouts are the perfect combination to any meat dish.
- Instant Pot Roasted Chicken
- Honey Chipotle Pork Roast
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Jerk Chicken
- Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops
Variations of creamy parmesan garlic Brussel sprouts
This is the perfect combination of creamy, rich and thick parmesan cream sauce with Brussel sprouts.
It is fun to create and add in a few extra flavors, crunchiness or even more cheese!
Just adding ¼ to ½ cups of any of these extras help enhance your Brussel sprouts to the next level.
Try a few different ways when making these tried and true Brussel sprouts.
- Meat: pieces of bacon or ham chunks.
- Tomatoes: sun dried tomatoes canned with oil or freshly cut Roma tomatoes.
- Mushrooms: fresh is best and sliced.
- Onions: shallots or a small-medium sized yellow onion.
- Cheese: white cheddar, provolone, feta, Swiss, cheddar cheese, mozzarella or gruyere cheese.
- Nuts: pine, walnut or pecans.
Tips for making Brussel sprouts
It is best to have fresh and not frozen Brussel sprouts.
Frozen brussel sprouts are already tender and soft.
It is always best to follow the instructions for a recipe but there are times that you do not have all the ingredients in place.
Here are a few tips to create the best creamy parmesan garlic Brussel spout recipe.
- You can purchase your Brussel sprouts on a large stalk. Try to choose medium sized sprouts for this recipe.
- Choose Brussel sprouts that are all the same size. This will ensure they all cook evenly and at the same rate.
- Take time to sauté your Brussel sprouts before adding the cream sauce. Getting them a little golden on the edges.
- Add the garlic towards the very end of the cooking time so that it doesn’t burn.
- Substitute butter for the olive oil if you prefer a more buttery taste.
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth if you are wanting a more vegan recipe.
- Trying different types of cheese are always a fun way to change this dish but still keeping it rich and creamy. We love mozzarella, white cheddar, provolone or even Swiss.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning use a blend of herbs such as basil, oregano and parsley or substitute your favorite seasoning.
Storing brussel sprouts
- Making ahead: these creamy parmesan garlic Brussel sprouts are best serving warm and right after you sauté them. Leaving them sit for too long will become mushy and not as fresh.
- Refrigerate: Once your meal is complete, let your Brussel sprout recipe cool completely. Place in an airtight container or wrap them in plastic wrap. These last about 5 to 7 days stored in the refrigerator.
- Freezing: Cool your Brussel sprouts completely. Place in an freezer bag and release all the air out of it. Keep your Brussel sprouts in the freezer for up to 1 month. If they are frozen too long, they eventually lose their flavor and become mushy when they are reheated.
- Warming up: When ready to warm up, place on the stove top and sauté them until they are warm. You can place them in the microwave warming them up in 30 to 45 second increments until they are warmed through. Warming them up in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit also does the trick and takes about 12 to 15 minutes.
Here are more vegetable side dishes
- Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Brown Butter Honey Garlic Carrots
- Roasted Honey Cinnamon Butter Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe (w/ Parmesan & Garlic)
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Brussel Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized skillet add the brussels sprouts, olive oil and garlic. Sauté until almost tender about 5-7 minutes. Remove the Brussels sprouts and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, and cornstarch and whisk together until smooth. Add the Parmesan Cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat in the creamy sauce until heated through.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS!!!!! I doubled the ingredients for the sauce because I wanted it really saucy. I also placed my Brussels sprouts in the oven for about 15 mins so they would be really crunchy before adding them back in the sauce. Needles to say this will be a regular dish.
Sounds really delish! I love the idea to make veggies appealing and tasty like this!
The family loved it.
could you use coconut cream instead as cant eat normal cream
I haven’t tried that before, but it should be fine. It will change the taste a bit. Let me know how it turns out!
Yes you can add coconut cream . I’ve done it many times and it’s so good.
Can I make this the day before and reheat in microwave or is it best in oven and how long ?
Love you’re recipes
The cream garlic parmesan brussell sprouts turned out amazing! I couldn’t get enough of it. My daughter asked for the recipe and made this as well. My whole family absolutely loved this dish. I will be making this for special occassions, holidays, and for dinners!
Thank you so much for this amazing and easy recipe!
These are always a hit at our house too!! GLad you loved them!
Recipe sounded good, but didn’t have heavy cream on hand. Substituted sour cream, cut back a little on the cornstarch. Makes a very rich and creamy sauce.
I made the Creamy Brussels Sprouts and it was a hit. Very 😋
I’m not usually a fan of Brussel sprouts, but this looks too good to pass up!
This looks good but I don’t do dairy or corn starch do you think almond milk with lemon juice would work. It would be like butter milk consistency
Could I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
sooooo good! The sauce is perfection! It is my go-to Brussel sprouts dish! I do roast them in the oven first for 25 mins as I like them more mushy/crispier.
Made this for the family, followed the recipe and it was amazing!
Made it tonight. I doubled the quantities and served it over rottini pasta. It was super delicious. Will do it again, specially once weather gets cold….
the result was nice, very tasty sprouts, however, the quantities for the sauce would have been much appreciated.
I did this recipe and it’s easy and delicious.
I made this and loved it! I want to make it again tonight but don’t have heavy cream. Will half-and-half work? Or will it separate?
Yes, half and half will work but it will not be as thick.
I love trying new ways of serving Brussel sprouts. This looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it tonight.
How much chicken broth?
1/2 cup of chicken broth.
The recipe for creamy partisan garlic Brussels sprouts says 1/2 chicken broth. Does that mean 1/2 CUP??
Yes, 1/2 cup chicken broth.