Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup is a hearty soup that’s perfect when you want something warm and comforting. Bite sized pieces of broccoli and shredded chicken are simmered in a broth flavoured with onions, celery and dried herbs. It’s thick and creamy, and only takes 30 minutes to make.
Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
This is the kind of soup that you can easily whip up on a weeknight for dinner. Chicken and broccoli is a stellar combination that can never fail you. The breasts are cooked whole in the same pot, after which they are shredded and added back. We also add to the creaminess and thickness by blending half the soup, and keeping the other half as is. And the best part, it tastes even better the next day, and it’s packed with broccoli. You can really sneak in this wonder veggie and the kids won’t even realise it.
We do soup nights all the time at home. Big, hearty bowls of thick soup that I like to serve with warm, crusty bread to mop it all up. I prefer soups that are chunky, creamy and loaded with flavour just like this creamy chicken broccoli soup. Because they are like a complete meal when combined with some bread, and you don’t need to make multiple dishes. And if they are ready in under 30 minutes, thats a bonus!
How do you make creamy chicken broccoli soup?
- To make creamy chicken broccoli soup, start by sauteing chopped onions, garlic and celery in a pot.
- Add broccoli, chicken breasts, chicken broth and seasoning to the pot.
- Once the chicken is poached, remove it from the pot and blend half the soup (either with an immersion blender or in a regular blender) and then add it back to the pot.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot along with cream cheese and heavy cream.
Can I use pre-cooked shredded chicken?
Absolutely! If you have pre cooked shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken that you can shred, that would actually cut down the time to cook this soup further.
Creamy soups are really my weakness. Especially this creamy vegetable soup, when we are doing meatless mondays. I also have a really cool tip about making vegetable stock at home from scraps that can add flavour to any soup, especially broth based ones or ramen bowls.
Looking for more Broccoli recipes? Try these!
Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3/4 cup chopped Onions
- 3/4 cup chopped Celery
- 1 head Broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Heat olive oil and butter in a dutch oven and add garlic, onions and celery. Saute for a few minutes till the onions turn translucent.
- Add broccoli, chicken breasts, broth, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring this to a quick boil, and then reduce the flame and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the pot and shred them with a fork. Set aside.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend half the soup. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot along with cream cheese and heavy cream. Simmer for five minutes and turn off the flame. Check and adjust seasoning and serve hot.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.