Jam-packed with onions, cilantro, cheese, BBQ sauce, and chicken, this BBQ chicken pizza will be a hit with your family! Using a pre-made crust makes this recipe easy and delicious!
Pizza is a hit at my house! I mean, it is at pretty much everyone’s house! But homemade pizza takes the cake! Switch your pizza menu up with these zucchini pizza bites, this taco pizza, or these delicious pizza sliders!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Ok, ok… I know that there are a LOT of pizza recipes out there to choose from, but is there anything better than a BBQ chicken pizza? It checks all of the boxes! It has a delicious sauce, hearty toppings, and the crust turns out perfectly soft with a little bit of crisp edge every single time. Between this pizza, some pepperoni pizza, and a Hawaiian pineapple pizza, you can make them all up and invite everyone for a party!
Homemade pizza is my favorite because you can customize it however you want! Plus, no more waiting on a late delivery person because you can time it so that it comes right out of the oven as soon as your guests arrive. Don’t let homemade pizza scare you. This is so quick and easy that I bet you can put it together, cook it and eat it all before your ordered pizza even arrives on your doorstep! Trust me. You don’t want to miss this!
What Ingredients You Need to Make BBQ Chicken Pizza
You can make this recipe as easy as you want to! Make the homemade pizza dough from scratch or buy a pre-made pizza crust from the store. Either way, you’re going to love it! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Pizza Dough: You can make on at home or buy one from the store, it’s up to you!
- Cornmeal: This will give your crust a crisp texture.
- BBQ Sauce: I love making mine at home using this recipe. Or, if I am in a pinch my favorite from the store is Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce.
- Cooked Chicken Breast: Chop up your cooked chicken breast to the size of your liking! *TIP* Buy a rotisserie chicken and then all you have to do is just shred it up. It saves so much time!
- Mozzarella Cheese: I like to sprinkle this on top of the sauce and then again after I add on the rest of the ingredients. After all, who doesn’t like cheese?
- Smoked Gouda Cheese: Mix this in with the mozzarella and you will never go back to using only mozzarella again!
- Red Onion: Slice this up thinly so that you get some in every bit but also so that it’s not overwhelming.
- Cilantro: This is an optional garnish!
- Olive Oil: Brush this on the crust so that it can get nice and golden brown.
How to Make Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
This pizza recipe is so simple. In fact, have your kids join in on the fun! Mine love spreading out the sauce and sprinkling the cheese and toppings on top! The taste is so good. Cook two, just in case!
- Prep: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly-floured surface, roll the dough into a large circle. Then, lightly sprinkle the cornmeal onto the bottom of your pizza pan and lay the dough on the pan.
- Coat the chicken: In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with ½ cup BBQ sauce. Stir to coat the chicken and set aside.
- Add sauce and cheese: Spread the remaining ½ BBQ sauce evenly on the pizza dough and then sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Top: Layer on the BBQ chicken. Add the sliced red onion, and top with shredded gouda cheese.
- Brush: Brush the olive oil around the edges of the pizza dough. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish: Garnish with chopped, fresh cilantro, slice, and serve!
Do I Need a Pizza Stone?
No! You can use just a regular pizza pan for cooking up this BBQ chicken pizza recipe. If you only have a pizza stone, you can use that too! Just make sure to sprinkle some cornmeal on the bottom for your crust.
How to Store Leftover Pizza
This pizza makes fantastic leftovers. Eat it cold or warm it back up… Either way, you may want to double the recipe to have some for lunch tomorrow!
- In the Refrigerator: Once your pizza has cooled then store your leftover slices in the fridge in an airtight container. It will last 2-3 days.
- To Reheat: When you are ready to reheat your pizza, I suggest using your oven to get it nice and crispy again. Set the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and cook it for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 Pizza Dough, pre-made or homemade
- 1/8 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce divided (use your favorite)
- 1 1/2 cups Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil, for brushing on crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly-floured surface, roll the dough into a large circle. Lightly sprinkle the cornmeal onto the bottom of your pizza pan and lay the dough on the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with ½ cup BBQ sauce. Stir to coat the chicken and set aside.
- Spread the remaining ½ BBQ sauce evenly on the pizza dough. Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Layer on the BBQ chicken. Add the sliced red onion, and top with shredded gouda cheese.
- Brush the olive oil around the edges of the pizza dough. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, slice, and serve!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.