You have got to celebrate the Fourth of July with this festive, fresh, and delicious flag cake! It’s so simple and easy, yet it’s easily the star of the show!
I absolutely love it when my food matches the decor of any party! If you are hosting a red, white, and blue get-together, then you must try this firework bundt cake, this very berry cheesecake salad and these delicious cupcakes!
What is a Flag Cake?
Well, this answer is going to be an easy one! It’s a cake that looks like a flag. That’s it! I used delicious and fresh blueberries and strawberries to create the color on top. And then you mix that with whipped cream and top it all on a white cake. Then, you’ve got yourself a festive and delicious dessert!
I love the Fourth of July because it’s family, fireworks, and FOOD. And in my world, I love matching my food to the occasion, so making this flag cake for the Fourth of July this year is a no-brainer! Plus, this specific recipe uses a white cake box mix, so that makes it even easier! Impress your guests with this beautiful cake. It will definitely be the first thing to be eaten!
Ingredients in Flag Cake
Using a box cake and making it all fancy is the best way to make a dessert! It doesn’t get much more simple than that. This recipe only uses a few ingredients. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- White Cake Mix: You will likely need some eggs and oil. Just go ahead and prepare this according to the directions on the package.
- Whipped Topping: I usually get my cool whip ahead of time and just keep it in my fridge so that it’s thawed and ready to go.
- Blueberries: Fresh blueberries not only bring a delicious flavor but bring in that deep navy blue color so significant to the Fourth of July!
- Strawberries: These look so gorgeous, and they are slices and all lined up as the stripes on the flag cake.
- Powdered Sugar: Take this cake above and beyond by dusting it with some powdered sugar! It’s those finishing touches that make it look extra fancy!
How to Make a Flag Cake
If you are looking for an easy and delicious cake for the Fourth of July holiday, then you don’t have to look anymore! This one whips up in no time and will have everyone asking for seconds!
- Bake the cake: Bake the white cake according to the instructions on the box, putting the batter in a 9×13 pan. It’s ready when you stick a toothpick into the cake, and it comes out clean! After you take it out of your oven, let cool completely to room temperature.
- Add whipped topping: Top with half of the container of thawed whipped topping.
- Line up the blueberries: In the upper left-hand corner, use the blueberries to create the star section of the flag.
- Make the stripes: Use the strawberries to create five red stripes across the remainder of the cake, starting along the top and finishing along the bottom.
- Pipe: With a pastry bag, use the remaining whipped topping to pipe four white stripes in the spaces between the rows of strawberries.
- Serve: Serve immediately.
If blueberries or strawberries aren’t your thing, go ahead and switch this flag cake up! My kids love it when I use raspberries instead of strawberries. Or blackberries instead of blueberries. You can also change the cake up to celebrate with different flags! This is such an easy way to add some festivities to any celebration that you need it for!
Can I Make it Ahead of Time?
Yes! Who wants to be baking ON the actual holiday? This flag cake can be made up to a day before you need it. Don’t put the whipped topping or fruit on until right before serving.
How to Store Leftovers
This flag cake makes delicious leftovers! That is if you are lucky enough to have any! Here is how you can store this so that you can enjoy it for a couple of days after you make it!
- In the Fridge: You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container and it will last for about 3 days!
- In the Freezer: If you want to freeze this for later you totally can! then bake the cake and add on the whipped topping (just not the fruit). You can store it for about 4 months. Let it thaw in your refrigerator and then add on the fruit toppings just before you eat it!
- 1 White Box Cake Mix (prepared according to the package)
- 1 16- Ounce Container Whipped Topping (thawed)
- 2 Half-Pints Fresh Blueberries
- 2 Cups Fresh Strawberries (hulled and sliced)
- Powdered Sugar (for dusting)
- Bake the white cake according to the instructions on the box using a 9×13 pan. Let cool completely.
- Top with half of the container of thawed whipped topping.
- In the upper left-hand corner use the blueberries to create the star section of the flag.
- Use the strawberries to create 5 red stripes across the remainder of the cake, starting along the top and finishing along the bottom.
- Use the remaining whipped topping to pipe four white stripes in the spaces between the strawberry stripes.
- Serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.