This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This 5-ingredient lemon posset is just the dessert you need this summer. It’s light and creamy with the perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture! You won’t be able to stop after one bite.
If you’re a lemon fan, here are a few more great dessert recipes to try: lemon cheesecake, lemon icebox cake, and these perfect lemon bars! They’re all bursting with bright, zesty flavor. You’re going to love them!
What is Lemon Posset?
Lemon posset is the perfect summer dessert. It’s a creamy and tangy treat made with cream, sugar, and lemon juice. Its refreshing flavor and smooth texture make it ideal for hot days! Plus, it’s super easy to make. It’s great for whipping up whenever you’re craving something tangy and sweet. Whether alone or with berries, lemon posset is a simple way to enjoy a sweet summer indulgence.
Lemon posset gets its wonderful texture through a simple yet fascinating process. When we gently heat cream and sugar together, they become a smooth and silky mixture. Then, when lemon juice is added, its acidic properties cause the mixture to thicken and set. Pop it in the fridge, and then you’ll come back to a luscious and delightful dessert ready to be devoured. It’s like a creamy dream that you can’t resist spooning into your mouth.
Lemon Posset Ingredients
Simple ingredients, incredible taste! With just cream, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and a touch of vanilla extract, you can whip up a delightful batch of lemon posset that will make your taste buds dance with joy. Summer indulgence couldn’t be easier!
- Heavy Cream: This lends a rich and velvety texture to lemon posset, making it delightfully creamy.
- Granulated Sugar: This sweet addition brings balance to the tanginess of the lemon, dissolving into the cream and enhancing the overall flavor.
- Lemon Zest: Grated from the outer part of lemons, it infuses the posset with a burst of vibrant citrus flavor, creating a refreshing and zesty taste sensation.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Lemon juice not only adds a refreshing taste but also works its magic by helping the posset thicken to perfection.
- Vanilla Extract: With just a small dash, vanilla adds a subtle fragrance and an extra layer of flavor to the lemon posset. Use homemade or pure vanilla extract if you can!
How to Make Lemon Posset
You’ll be able to whip up a batch of lemon posset in no time! Just heat up your cream and sugar, simmer briefly, add lemon juice and vanilla, cook until thickened, strain, chill, and voila! A refreshing and elegant dessert ready to be enjoyed with a dollop of whipped cream and juicy berries
- Heat Cream Mixture: Add the cream, sugar, and lemon zest to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the cream is steaming.
- Add Lemon Juice and Vanilla: Let the mixture simmer for 2 minutes before adding the lemon juice and vanilla. Mix to combine and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Strain: Remove from the heat and then press through a fine mesh sieve to remove the zest and any pulp.
- Chill: Portion into individual ramekins or dessert cups. Then cover and chill for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Serve: Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries.
Tips and Tricks
Master the art of lemon posset with these simple tips and create a creamy citrus delight that will impress everyone!
- Use Fresh Lemon Juice: Squeeze lemons to obtain fresh juice for the best flavor. Avoid bottled lemon juice, as it may lack the desired zestiness.
- Strain the Mixture: After cooking, be sure to pass the posset through a fine mesh sieve to remove any zest or pulp, ensuring a smooth and velvety texture.
- Chill and Set: Your lemon posset needs plenty of time to set up. Allow it to chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Add Toppings: Serve your lemon posset with a variety of toppings like whipped cream, raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries, or a sprinkle of grated lemon zest for added visual appeal and flavor.
- Add Herbs: Feel free to infuse the cream with other flavors, such as lavender or mint, for a unique twist on the classic lemon posset.
If you have any leftovers of this creamy lemon treat, cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the cream, sugar, and lemon zest to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the cream is steaming.
- Let the mixture simmer for 2 minutes before adding the lemon juice and vanilla. Mix to combine and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and press through a fine mesh sieve to remove the zest and any pulp.
- Portion into ramekins or dessert cups. Cover and chill for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.