This Air Fryer Tofu is super crispy and full of flavor. The tofu is so easy to cook in the air fryer, it is a must try!
Air Fryer Tofu
If you love tofu or even if you are new to tofu, this is the recipe for you! Cooking tofu in the air fryer is a fun way to cook. Using the air fryer will probably be the only way you cook it from now on. If you know tofu, it can be a pain to cook. Tofu often sticks to the pan even if it is oiled. Air frying solves all those problems and it creates that incredible crispy crust on the outside without the frying. If you thought you did not like tofu or haven’t tried it before. Now is the time.
Tofu seems to be one of those foods that either people have tried it and like, or they haven’t tried it at all and think they’ll hate it. Introducing your family or even yourself, to tofu with this air fryer recipe is super easy and it’ll be one of the best ways to enjoy this super food. Trust me you are going to love this and your family will to!
Ingredients for Crispy Tofu
Tofu can be a couple of different places in your local grocery store. First check the produce section in the refrigerator area. Also see if it’s in your store’s natural foods section. It can also be found sometimes in the dairy aisle as well. If all else fails. Ask someone who works there. It’s grown in popularity so it’s usually easy to find.
- Extra Firm Tofu: There are many types of tofu so be sure to get the extra firm variety.
- Soy Sauce: Adds flavor and color.
- Sesame Oil: Creates a deep richness in the flavor.
- Cornstarch: Helps create an extra crispy crust
Making Tofu in the Air Fryer
There are a few steps and things to know about tofu if you’ve never cooked with it before. But don’t fear it’s super easy. You’ll love the results.
- Press it: Remove the tofu from the package. Press the tofu to remove the moisture. If you don’t have a tofu press, you can simply just put the tofu in the center of a dish towel and gently press to remove the moisture. Or you can put it in between two dishtowels and lay a heavy bottomed skillet on top of the tofu for 30 minutes.
- Mix: In a medium sized bowl add sliced tofu, soy sauce and sesame oil and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle cornstarch on top and toss.
- Bake: Place the tofu in the basket of an air fryer so they aren’t touching each other. Turn the air fryer to 360 degrees. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip the tofu and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until they are crisp. Cooking time will depend on how much moisture was left in the tofu.
Types of Tofu and How to Use Them
Tofu comes in different degrees of firmness: silken, soft, firm, and extra-firm.
- Silken is best for blending into smoothies and desserts.
- Soft is often used in heartier soups, and stews.
- Firm and extra-firm are best for stir-frying, and baking. Be sure to check your recipes to use the tofu that’ll work best for your dish.
All About Tofu
This air fryer recipe is the perfect way to try tofu for the first time. The results will have you coming back for more. Here is what you need to know about this fantastic food!
- What is tofu? Tofu, sometimes called bean curd or soybean curd, made from soybeans, water and a coagulant or curdling agent. The process of making tofu is similar to making cheese.
- Where did it come from? Tofu is believed to have originated in China over 2,000 years ago by accident.
- Is it good for you? A serving of tofu is only 70 calories and is considered a nutrient dense food. It high in protein and contains all the essential amino acids your body needs. It also contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Including tofu in your diet might help protect against certain types of cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
- What does Tofu taste like? Tofu is a lot like chicken in that is pretty bland by itself. The curdling agent in tofu however, absorbs flavors incredibly making it ideal to use with spices, sauces and marinades.
- Storing Tofu: Uncooked tofu needs to be kept immersed in water and sealed in its original packaging. Store the tofu the same way you purchased it. If it was in the fridge, keep it in the fridge , etc. Refrigerate any unused portion in a sealed container covered in water for up to 3 days.
Tips and Variations For The Best Tofu
Air frying tofu is seriously the best way to cook it, and it’s super easy to customize.
- Drain It: The first thing you must know about tofu for this air fryer recipe and any recipe is that it needs to be pressed so the moisture can be removed. The water will keep it moist and fresh while storing, but it needs to be drained before using. Don’t skip this step. The more water you can press out of the tofu the crispier your air fried tofu will be.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket: Air frying uses circulating air to cook your food, similar to a convection oven. For the air to circulate properly and give a good crisp all over, leave space between the tofu. Cook in batches if you need to.
- How to use air fryer tofu: This is truly a must make air fryer recipe and you can use the tofu in so many ways. Add it to salads, buddha bowls, and stir-fry. We love it in this Pad Thai recipe. Where ever you want to use it’ll be fantastic.
- Spice it up: Feel free to play around with the spices. Using honey, spicy mustards, sriracha, garlic powder, onion powder, and don’t forget the marinades. Tofu absorbs flavor amazingly well. Marinate for an hour up to 24 hours before baking.
- Leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat for a few minutes in the air fryer.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air frying is changing the culinary world and for the better. As you probably know it’s a miraculous way to cook food. It’s healthier, faster and super easy. It creates delicious crusts on the outside and it’s tender and juicy on the inside. Everything is always Perfect!
- The Perfect Air Fryer Pizza
- Juicy Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Amazing Air Fryer Hand Pies
- Crispy Air Fryer Bacon
- The Best Air Fryer “Roasted” Potatoes
Air Fryer Tofu
- Remove the tofu from the package. Press the tofu to remove the moisture. If you don't have a tofu press, you can simply just put the tofu in the center of a dishtowel and gently press to remove the moisture. Or you can put it in between two dishtowels and lay a heavy bottomed skillet on top of the tofu for 30 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl add sliced tofu, soy sauce and sesame oil and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle cornstarch on top and toss.
- Place the tofu in the basket of an air fryer so they aren't touching each other. Turn the air fryer to 360 degrees. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip the tofu and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until they are crisp. Cooking time will depend on how much moisture was left in the tofu.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.