This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Fairy bread is the easiest treat to make and the best way to add a little magic to your day! These slices of buttery, sprinkled goodness are a classic Australian recipe, and sure to win your kids over.
Classic Fairy Bread
Fairy bread is a magical treat that kids absolutely love! It’s a super simple snack that originated in Australia (typically served at birthday parties) and is perfect for parties and get-togethers. Here’s how to make it: take slices from of white bread and spread them with butter. Then, sprinkle colorful hundreds and thousands (sprinkles) all over the bread. Cut the bread into small triangles or squares, and voila! You’ve got yourself a delightful and tasty treat that kids can’t resist.
Fairy bread is not only delicious but also a great activity for kids. It’s easy for them to get involved in the kitchen and let their creativity shine. They can spread the butter, decorate the bread with sprinkles, and have a blast doing it! Plus, the bright colors and fun appearance of fairy bread make it even more appealing to little ones. So, if you’re looking for a simple yet tasty treat that will bring joy to your kids’ faces, you’ve got to try out fairy bread!
It only takes 3 simple ingredients to whip up this whimsical treat. You can switch up the sprinkles to make festive versions of fairy bread, or let your kids make their own colorful designs.
- White Bread: If your kids are anything like mine, they won’t touch wheat bread, so soft and fluffy white bread is a must! Some other great options that I’ve tried are potato bread and Hawaiian bread for an extra touch of sweetness. You can also use gluten-free bread if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Butter or Margarine: I used salted butter, but you can use whatever you have on hand. The butter adds richness to this snack and also helps the sprinkles stick. I recommend using softened butter so it spreads onto the bread easily. (You can also try making homemade butter if you’re up for the challenge!)
- Nonpareils Sprinkles: These are called “hundreds and thousands” in Australia. Multicolored sprinkles are a must for this treat, and truly make each slice look magical!
How to Make Fairy Bread
It only takes a few minutes, and the best part is- kids can do it all themselves! This traditional fairy bread recipe is the perfect solution for busy moms and bored kids.
- Butter Bread: Spread a generous amount of butter on however many slices of bread you’d like, making sure to go all the way to the edge.
- Add Sprinkles: Sprinkle the nonpareils rainbow sprinkles over the butter until it is completely covered.
- Slice and Serve: Slice into triangles and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
I think this is one of the easiest recipes on the blog to date. Fairy bread is just as easy to customize, so let your creativity run wild!
- High-Quality Ingredients: Use a nice, soft white bread and high quality butter.
- Seasonal Fairy Bread: For festive fairy bread, use different colored nonpareils for different occasions.
- Different Spreads: Swap out butter for peanut butter, Nutella, Biscoff spread, or marshmallow fluff!
- Cut Into Shapes: Use cookie cutters to create fun shapes!
How Long Does Fairy Bread Last?
I recommend serving your fairy bread immediately to keep your bread from drying out or getting too soggy from the spread. It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few hours, but I would eat it as soon as possible for the best flavor.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- white bread
- salted butter room temperature
- nonpareils sprinkles hundreds and thousands
- Spread a generous amount of butter on however many slices of bread you’d like, making sure to go all the way to the edge.
- Sprinkle the nonpareils over the butter until it is completely covered.
- Slice into triangles and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.