Level up pasta night with this irresistible roasted red pepper sauce! It’s creamy, cheesy, and delicious with smoky, sweet spice. Be sure to make enough for seconds, your family won’t be able to get enough!
Making pasta sauce from scratch is the only way to do it! It’s so fresh and has the most amazing flavor. Not to mention, it’s free of preservatives and artificial flavors! You’ll have to try my homemade marinara, lobster ravioli, and alfredo sauces next!
Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce Recipe
My family loves having pasta for dinner, and one of my favorite things to do is try out new sauces to switch things up with! This roasted red pepper sauce is so incredibly delicious and was a huge hit with everyone! I use crushed tomatoes in this recipe, so it tastes similar to a cream tomato sauce but with Italian herbs and smoky roasted peppers added! It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory with a hint of spice.
The parmesan cheese and heavy cream make this sauce absolutely delightful. It’s hearty and creamy and coats pasta beautifully! The best part is, it’s super easy to whip up so you can enjoy these amazing flavors in a snap! Roasted red pepper sauce is great for dipping, too, so get your breadsticks ready! This has quickly come one of my favorite sauces. I hope you love it as much as I do! Let’s get cooking!
All Ingredients Needed to Make It
When making pasta sauce at home, fresh ingredients are key! I always recommend using high-quality ingredients so that your sauce has the best flavor. All measurements can be found below in the recipe card.
- Pasta of Choice: Because this roasted red pepper sauce is so tasty, I like using pasta like penne or rigatoni that traps it inside. It makes each bite more flavorful!
- Crushed Tomatoes: I like adding tomatoes for a bit of sweet flavor.
- Jarred Roasted Red Bell Peppers: All you’ve got to do is drain them and then they’re ready to go!
- Garlic: Minced garlic gives this sauce an amazing savory flavor.
- Kosher Salt: I love using kosher salt because it enhances flavor without leaving a bitter aftertaste.
- Basil Leaves: Basil is a must for minty flavor and aromatics!
- Dried Oregano: Oregano adds a warm, earthy flavor and is amazing in Italian dishes.
- Heavy Cream: You can also use half and half! This helps to thicken up the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan adds a sharp, more complex flavor to the sauce.
- Granulated Sugar: (Optional) I add a little in to balance the acidity of the tomatoes and peppers.
- Salt and Pepper: Add both to taste to enhance overall flavor!
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Sauce at Home
Making homemade pasta sauce is so easy! All you need to do here is blend your ingredients and then heat over the stove- just as much effort as using sauce from a jar! The only difference is, it tastes a million times better and is made with all-natural ingredients!
- Blend: In a food processor or blender, add the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, garlic, salt, basil, and oregano. Blend until smooth. Add the heavy cream and blend until incorporated.
- Simmer: Pour the red pepper sauce into a medium saucepan, and heat over medium high heat. Add the grated parmesan cheese, and slowly bring sauce to a simmer. Whisk until the cheese is melted, and the sauce is warmed through.
- Serve: Prepare the noodles according to package instructions. Serve sauce over cooked noodles.
- Garnish: Finally, garnish the sauce with extra grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley!
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
Roasted red pepper sauce can easily be customized to fit your personal tastes. Here are a few easy ways to perfect yours!
- Omit Tomatoes: Red pepper pasta sauce can be made without tomatoes. It’s a great option for those who dislike tomatoes or have an allergy. It will have a similar flavor, just minus a little sweetness and acidity.
- Add Protein: This sauce is tasty on its own, but adding crumbled beef, sausage, or turkey can really take it up a notch!
- Make it Spicier: If you’re looking to turn up the heat, add a tablespoon of crushed red pepper flakes to your sauce at a time until you’ve reached your desired flavor.
- Use for Dipping: This yummy sauce doubles as a tasty dip! I love serving it with things like crostini and breadsticks.
- Serve With: Complete your meal with a tasty Italian salad and bread for dipping. Your family will love it!
Storing Leftover Sauce
Now that you have your masterpiece created, here’s how to store it so you can heat it up and enjoy it later!
- In the Refrigerator: In an airtight container, your roasted red pepper sauce will last for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: When ready to use, reheat sauce over the stove on medium heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 fresh basil leaves (more if desired)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (optional to help balance acidity)
- salt and pepper to taste if needed
- In a food processor or blender, add the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, garlic, salt, basil, and oregano. Blend until smooth. Add the heavy cream and blend until incorporated.
- Pour the red pepper sauce into a medium saucepan, and heat over medium high heat. Add the grated parmesan cheese, and slowly bring sauce to a simmer. Whisk until the cheese is melted, and the sauce is warmed through.
- Prepare the noodles according to package instructions. Serve sauce over cooked noodles.
- Garnish the sauce with extra grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.