This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki is a combination of seasoned chicken, tender vegetables and a classic cool cucumber sauce. It’s a Mediterranean classic made easier with the help of a crock pot. Wrap the contents in pillow like flat bread for a mouth watering meal any day of the week. It’s so light and delicious and exploding with Greek flavor. This will become a favorite way to make your next gyro.
Turn this quick meal into a Greek festivity by serving it along side one of these amazing salads. Greek Broccoli Pasta Salad, Greek Spinach Pasta Salad or Greek Salad with the BEST dressing. And don’t forget the Pita Chips and Hummus!
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki
Slow Cookers are a busy household’s life saver. Throw the ingredients in the crock pot in the morning and poof! Dinner is ready in the evening. These Greek Chicken Gyros are no exception. Super simple and quick to come together, you’ll love being able to have that fresh Greek flavor so easy to do.
Tender heart healthy chicken is seasoned just right and combined with veggies and a light yogurt tzatziki sauce wrapped in a warm soft flatbread. It’s actually good for you so go ahead and indulge. Packed with flavor, the creamy tzatziki adds a touch of coolness and tang to the rich Greek spices and flavors of the chicken and vegetables. It’s a match made perfect and effortless with the help of your slow cooker. Have it again and again.
Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Ingredients:
- Chicken Breasts: Use skinless boneless chicken breasts and slice them evenly.
- Onion: Yellow or white onions work well.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic has an intense flavor.
- Oregano: Use dried oregano.
- Salt & Pepper: to taste
- Olive Oil: Helps add flavor
- Red Wine Vinegar: Besides giving the chicken flavor the vinegar helps to tenderize the meat.
- Lemon Juice: Also is a tenderizer for the chicken and gives it nice zing.
- Water: Helps keep the chicken moist and juicy.
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients:
- Greek Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt is the one to use, do not use flavored.
- Cucumber: Skin the cucumber before grating.
- Garlic: Fresh Garlic is best
- White Wine Vinegar: Adds the nice zing without causing the sauce to turn color.
- Dried Dill: Important spice for tzatziki, use dried dill weed.
- Oregano: Classic staple spice in Greek cooking.
- Salt & Pepper: Add to taste
- Lemon: Balances the vinegar
- Olive Oil: Helps bind the ingredients together and make it creamy.
How to Make Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki
- Slow Cooker: Grease the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the chicken. In a bowl combine the onion, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil red wine vinegar, lemon juice and water till nice and combined. Pour over the chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6.
- Sauce: In a medium bowl combine the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, dill, oregano, salt and pepper and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Drizzle the olive oil over the top and refrigerate for 30 min. to let the flavors blend.
- Serve: Place warm chicken with desired veggies on a warm flat bread. Pour dressing over the top and enjoy.
Tips For the Perfect Gyro and Tzatziki
- Cucumber: You can use either regular or English cucumbers. Be sure to peel and seed your cucumber before grating. Once gated drain the cucumber get rid of any excess water. You can place in a cloth and squeeze or place in a strainer and lightly press the liquid out.
- Smooth: For a smoother texture to your Tzatziki sauce place your cucumber in a food processor and pulse about 10-15 times.
- Variations: You can skip the pita and serve on a bed of chopped lettuce for a nice Chicken Gyro Salad or serve over rice or quinoa or lentils for a Grain Gyro Bowl
- Store: Leftover chicken will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for 3 months.
Add ins for a Scrumptious Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki
Greek Gyros are so nice because everyone can customize their own, however I suggest at least trying it with feta and kalamata olives for that authentic flavor. Here are some other suggestions.
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Sliced Peppers
- Feta Cheese
- Kalamata Olives
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Warm Flat Bread (not Pita Pocket Bread)
More Mouth watering Greek Recipes:
Love Mediterranean style cooking, then you have to try these.
- Greek Chicken Sliders
- Greek Tzatziki Pasta Salad
- Orzo Pasta Salad
- Easy Greek Lemon Chicken
- Creamy Mediterranean Chicken
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki
- Spay a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the chicken to the slow cooker. In a small bowl combine onion, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and water. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6.
- To make the sauce: In a medium bowl combine greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, dried dill week, dried oregano. Salt and pepper to taste and add lemon juice and drizzle olive oil on top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Prepare chicken on warm greek pita bread with desired veggies and sauce on top.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.