This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Teriyaki is one of the most favorites of the Asian flavors around. The combination of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar is like magic. Teriyaki sauce makes everything taste better. From Shrimp to veggies to steak. It just goes with so many things.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is rich and flavorful and so easy to throw together. Slow Cooker meals are a favorite go to when life gets busy and this will be a winner. Tender chicken is drenched a thick sweet sauce with minimal preparation but will taste like you slaved all day. This is so good!
Teriyaki Chicken Ingredients:
Simple ingredients come together quickly for the perfect meal.
- Chicken Thighs: Save time by buying boneless skinless chicken thighs. Otherwise you’ll want to de-bone and skin your chicken thighs.
- Sugar: Balances out the soy sauce to make the perfect sauce.
- Soy Sauce: You can use low sodium soy sauce if you’d like.
- Cider Vinegar: Adds zing and tenderizes the chicken.
- Ground Ginger: Makes the sauce sing.
- Minced Garlic: You can use jarred minced garlic.
- Pepper: Try using fresh ground pepper for the best flavor.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the sauce.
- Cold Water: needed to dissolve the cornstarch
- Rice: Long grain brown or white rice is best.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken in the Slow Cooker:
Using the Slow cooker makes every thing easier. Just a few simple steps is all you need to impress.
- Place: Put the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Mix: In a large bowl mix the sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper. Pour it over the chicken.
- Cook: Cook on low for 4-5 hours till chicken is tender.
- Remove: When the chicken is done remove and shred on a platter and keep warm.
- Sauce: Skim the fat from the cooking liquid. Place the liquid in a pot and bring to a boil. Mix the cold water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Slowly add to the sauce and stir till thickened.
Teriyaki Tips and Variations:
You will love how versatile this recipe is, it’ll be everyone’s favorite.
- Chicken: The recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken thighs, but chicken breasts can easily be used and will be super tender and flavorful.
- Trim the Fat: Which ever kind of chicken you use, you’ll want to trim off any excess fat.
- Honey: If you’re looking for a sugar substitute try honey. It’s sweeter than sugar so you can use less. It will add a nice deep richness to the sauce. Try using 2/3 cup honey instead of the sugar.
- Sauce: If your sauce seems too thin even after adding the cornstarch. Mix another 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of cold water and add. Continue to add the cornstarch slurry till you get the thickness you desire. It will thicken as it cools.
- Flavor: If you want to intensify the flavor use fresh garlic and fresh grated ginger for a deep rich flavor.
Serving and Storing Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken:
Slow cooker chicken is so easy and so versatile, you’ll love having some leftovers.
- Double: This is an easy recipe to double and save half for later. Leftovers often taste better anyway as flavors continue to meld together.
- Variations: Besides rice you can try serving it over quinoa. Roast or steam vegetables and turn the meal into a stir fry or a rice bowl. Use the chicken in sandwiches or to top a Teriyaki Chicken salad.
- Store: Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
More Tempting Teriyaki Recipes:
Teriyaki is such a tantalizing flavor, try these other great recipes with this amazing taste.
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken with Vegetables
- Sweet Island Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs about 3 pounds (I used 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked long grain rice
- Place chicken in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Place liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into liquid and stir until sauce is thickend. Serve with chicken and rice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.